What's new

Tiny Personal Firewall

Remote

After giving Norton Internet Security a spin for a long time I finally got fed up and started looking for alternatives, not unix based, and heard a lot of neet things about Tiny's Personal Firewall which is a better, smarter and tougher version of what comes with XP, atleast so I've heard ;)

But then I bought the damm thing and although I've only been using it for a couple of hours and have not had a chance to check out the settings it more or less only restricts some ports and leaves several well known ones open.

Anyways, could someone with a little more insight then me give me the thumbs up or thumbs down for Tiny's Personal Firewall?

Riven

I used Symantec one too, but noy I use Sygate personal Firewall pro and it works very fine

Noupe

Grog
I use Tiny Personal Firewall v2.x when I use Windows. I really think it's great, but I don't care much for the later spiffed-up versions. Version 2 is also free for personal use, where 3+ costs money, and quite frank is no better than 2, worse IMO.

Basically, you have to know what to block and not because initially TPF2 will ask about all out- and incoming connection attempts. You can easily modify the rules you create in the settings and add or remove applications (such as IE/Mozilla, ICQ, e-mail program etc.).

Thumbs up for version 2
Thumbs down for versions 3+

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
If you use a nat router (e.g. most "cable/dsl broadband routers") and configure it properly, there wont be any need to install any firewall software that will hog system resources.

Lex

Remote said:
of what comes with XP
Almost every personal firewall is better then the built in XP firewall because it only blocks a few ports it doesn't do anything more than that. but if you don't have a firewall i suggest you use that. And i recommend you using the free ZoneAlarm

Gorxon

Administrator
Use the shieldsup test at www.grc.com .
It tests your firewall pretty good, and there are other tools on the site to test it even better (outgoing traffic, leaks etc). The basic port test should be enough though.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Lex said:
Almost every personal firewall is better then the built in XP firewall because it only blocks a few ports it doesn't do anything more than that. but if you don't have a firewall i suggest you use that. And i recommend you using the free ZoneAlarm

What else do you need other than blocking a few incoming ports?

Riven

AlphaWolf said:
What else do you need other than blocking a few incoming ports?

You can use emule and then you won't block port 4662 but hey, you don't want IDSA entering your computer from that port. Solution, your firewall block that ip.
Port 80, you don't want to block it, but want to control the use of it. Solution, firewall.
etc....

Xade

Irrelevant Insight
I tried using one called BlackIce Pro, but that just majorly screwed things up, like not letting me disconnect etc, so...

Coporate Zone Alarm Pro for me, I'm afraid. After the first few days it does shut up and get down to business, though.