What's new

This is........different

Nin_10_Dough

Check the pic. Does anyone else find that odd? This is on another old computer given to me. Surely it didn't come from the factory like that.

It has a set of rocker switches, but no matter how I set it, In cmos setup it is usually detected at 125mhz. It is a 233mhz. I was going to reflash the bios, but I can't find the machine on the ibm site. 6562-52u is the model number.

Even though it says 125mhz, it still runs like a 233mhz. So I'm not too bothered by that. What really annoys me is that it won't complete a win98 install. Always Win.com errors. It will boot into safemode, but because setup didn't finish I can't do anything. "cannot setup devices in safe mode"

help?

WhiteX

I dunno your knowledge on electronics...
The hitchhicker´s guide to the galaxy says:
That is a bridge, mostly done when on the occasion of a design flaw, the early malfunctional releases will have bridges the new ones will be corrected, what you may have is an early release of a malfunctional board "fixed" by a bridge.

OP
Nin_10_Dough

Nin_10_Dough

I was unaware that malfunctioning boards would be "fixed" and released into the wild as such.

Whoever put it on there knew what they were doing. It's hard to tell how small it is by the pic, but it would take an extremely fine tipped soldering iron to accomplish that. This is an old computer.........I'm almost curious enough to remove it. :whistling

Any ideas to my win98 troubles?

Eagle

aka Alshain
Nin_10_Dough said:
I was unaware that malfunctioning boards would be "fixed" and released into the wild as such.

Oh yes, my company produces electronic PCB boards for our controllers and we often run across a mistake in early productions that needs correcting. Rather than just throwing the inventory away, we go through and "scab" on some wires or resitors and sell them. It doesn't adversly affect performance at all its just that the wire is above board rather than an on board trace. As for it being small, we have a microscope that can zoom in to see the dirt in between your fingerprints.

Reznor007

I used to do rework like that on ultra high end RAID server boards. Sometimes it was pretty annoying, but not overly difficult.