What's new

there seem to be a lot of pple hyped up about making emus...

Renegade

Wearer of Army Boots
why?!!!!!!!

I mean, do you pple really think it was so easy to get PJ64 done? i'm sure lightknight doesn't even understand zilmar's emubook (if he does, enlighten me...) and he wants to make a GCN emu! And other examples are scattered around the board...

all of us enjoyed PJ64, and are reaping the fruits of 1964, but few understand the work put into it . this can be inferred from the dozens of lamers (lamers are not equal to pple tempted to start an emu) who FUCK at the N64 emus, as well as the people all hyped up to create emus even more sophisticated than N64 itself.

it takes a dream to become reality. but if you want to make it so you must have skill, time and realism. with two years of C++ and less, you can't hope to do an emulator. with 3 years of C++ and less, you can't hope to emulate the N64. with no years of working with the GameCube, you can't hope to understand the GCN.

also comes the problem of equipment. Dave2001 is an exception, with what he has done with a voodoo3 to bring the hope of N64 emulation to the, um, unsuitable graphic card (?) society. But pple are already looking to the GCN with a Pentium2 when PJ64 and 1964, the true stones of N64 emulation, can't even get going satisfactorily on a 400 mhz and less.

my guess about the thoughts from the pple who wish to create an emu is this: "An emu may be one of the hardest programs, but no boudt with an online tutorial I'll make a groundbreaking one in one/two years. who cares if I have no experience."

pple, get real. creating an emu is supposed to be insanely difficult and enjoyable, not some fantasy software you could knock up with a simple tutorial, a document about the hardware and the belief that nothing is impossible.

there are pple who know this by now. take it from Dominator, Jabo, zilmar, Wheat - oops - Rice, schibo, Lemmy, LaC and all other successful N64 emu authors.

No-one who wants to make an emulator should start off on crippled legs that wish to sprint.

Zero

Liar Liar Pants On Fire!
A very true post indeed but however not all you say is correct.

We should encourage people to make emu's , but they have to start out smaller then a N64emu because those are really complex to create so they should start on a GB or NES emu first and see if they're capable of creating such a thing , if they succeed in that they can move on a little bit higher like a SNES or Genesis emu and if they're able to pull that of , then they can consider on getting started on a N64emu or something which fits in that category.

At least that's what I'm doing for myself.
The GBXPLAYER started out as a hobby but has evolved into a real job. I also mentioned last week that I in fact have started on two more projects. And I'm revealing them today :

I started work on a SNES Emu which I have dubbed : SNESPLAYER (origional huh ? :p)

And I also started on a Genesis Emu which will be called :
GenesisPLAYER (really :p)

I expect to release the first version of my w.i.p. SNES emu next month but I ain't sure if I'll make that in time so expect it in 1 or 2 months.

The Genesis Emu will closely follow after the SNES emu's release.

As for the GBXPLAYER it's currently put on hold because I find it hard to emulate the GBA as well as adding a few new features which I promised would be in the next (and maybe final) release of the GBXPLAYER .

I'll post pics of my upcoming emu's a.s.a.p.

Till Then,

Zero

OP
R

Renegade

Wearer of Army Boots
Zero: the first paragraph is correct.
Zero: the subsequent paragraphs are blatant advertising. :D

yes I agree that they should be encouraged to emulate the SNES and NES. but I felt irritated by newbies to emulator programming who just fantasise too much.

pardon...:hrm:

zilmar

Emulator Developer
well .. I only had like 1 year expecience at C before I started pj64, never touched windows programming, never touched asm, gfx, or anything like that .. only knew really basic stuff ... you can start with a not a lot of knowledge ..

the problem is that you need to be dedicated, most people are not and you need to be able to work hard and learn .. It took me nearly 4 years to get pj64 where it was, and even then I did not do it on my own. I probaly re-written the emu that many times before the public ever caught wind that it is existed .. it would probaly be at least 10 times for the core .. if you do not know a lot then you have to be willing to scrap stuff and go back and re-write it to make it better as you learn more.

The programming skills are only a very small part of it, dedication, vision, hard word, with not much rewards counts for most of it .. it is a cost very few people are willing and can pay.

mesman00

What's that...?
with all this new emu announcement, i will reveal to the world that i Have started and X-Box and emu and it plays all games that are released, and will play ever other game that is released in the future...

but really, minus everything i just said... i do plan on starting an nes emu in the near future, i have recently been reading up on some nes docs, i hope to start the project soon, but i might have to hold off until the summer time since my high school tennis season is about to begin and my time will be very limited.

gokuss4

Meh...
hmm but i still wonder why pj64 has that pause problem (e.g "its a me mario" pauses for 1 or 2 seconds, than "hello") rather than goin to the next screen right away.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
gokuss4 said:
hmm but i still wonder why pj64 has that pause problem (e.g "its a me mario" pauses for 1 or 2 seconds, than "hello") rather than goin to the next screen right away.

there is no more pause there than on a real N64. i suspect other emulators are too quick (=less accurate).

mesman00

What's that...?
yah, it's supposed to do that! i remember from the good ole days of the n64, oh well, now its ps2 you'll find in my house!

mesman00

What's that...?
Originally posted by Zilmar
well .. I only had like 1 year expecience at C before I started pj64, never touched windows programming, never touched asm, gfx, or anything like that .. only knew really basic stuff

wow, you must have had alot of dedication, and alot of time.

Remote

mesman00 said:

wow, you must have had alot of dedication, and alot of time.

If you are dedicated you will make yourself time, even if you do not have it.

Azimer

Emulator Developer
This thread is off forum topic. Please stop. It's very marginally geared toward Emu Coding... and it keeps getting more off forum topic as people continue to post.