What's new

The Shrink Tool compatibility

ZDragon

Shrinking should work with the Zelda image... well, what Version have your tried? US/Japanese/PAL?

Talas

Son of the Sky
Hum? The File Name is: "The.Legend.of.Zelda.The.Wind.Waker.USA.NGC-Starcube [GameCube] ISO.gcm". I guess thats the NTSC Version isnt it?

ZDragon

Uhm, yes. And you've just admitted that you didn't rip the game by yourself, so you probably don't even own it. Maybe not even a Gamecube. Dumbass...

Talas

Son of the Sky
Uhm sorry pal, but have you ever thought about the possibility that I have both the cube and the game and that I simply dont have any possibility of ripping it? Or is that illegal too? In that case I am sorry for writing.

ZDragon

In that case, I'm the one who should apologize :p Sorry. Although I'm not sure either if it's allowed or not.

MrRatt

It's still illegal to download the image off the net. As for your problems with the game it could be caused by a faulty download.

Talas

Son of the Sky
Ok, I didnt know that the images from the internet were illegal even if you have the original. You think the problem is a faulty download? But how is it possible than that the image worked before shrinking?

Whobetta

Thanks for the info on NTFS, Clements. Converted to NTFS and everything is running as fast or if not faster than FAT32, I guess its better for new OS like XP. I shrunk Bust A Move 3000 using the shrinker, to about 181mb. Then I used the NTFS compression to shrink it down to 76mb! The NTFS compression varies though Wario Ware only compressed from 828mb to 778mb, still saves space hehe...

V-GEReBirth

I compressed Bust a Move 3000 to 31,1MB only, maintaining the original 1.392MB GCM, since i don't want to shrink it right now (gonna wait until next releases).
At the moment, for testing, i just used 7-Zip to to compress to .7z format.
Seems to take a while compressing (around 5-10 min. on my computer), but when i just want to test the emu, i just uncompress it to full size.
I know it isn't much compared to the other methods, but it's a nice try and seems to saves a lot of space.

Also tested Bust a Move 3000, but everyone now knows that it works after shrinking. :)

Keep the good work.

Last edited:

j_o_n_t_e

I tried the compression technique and i have all the speciments required, but it made no difference on the 200 mb file i tried it on...?

Clements

Already heavily compressed stuff like jpegs, mp3s, RAR files and so on don't compress very well with NTFS compression. Things like Bitmap images, uncompressed ISOs, certain WAV files etc. shrink a lot (comparable to zip compression) but the files stay as they are.

Whobetta

Clements said:
Already heavily compressed stuff like jpegs, mp3s, RAR files and so on don't compress very well with NTFS compression. Things like Bitmap images, uncompressed ISOs, certain WAV files etc. shrink a lot (comparable to zip compression) but the files stay as they are.

Yeah it doesnt work well on already compressed files like mpegs and zips. But this NTFS is cool, I tryed it on PC games folders. I compressed LOTR Return of The King game which is 1.2gb down to around 450mb and the game runs just like before no slower loading or anything. Probably can save GBs by just compressing installed game folders :D

Vegetable

Banned
Tested it on Made in Wario. After it shrunk, instead of showing the black and white stick-ish guy, it shows a strange looking 3d buttony looking thing. Speed during the menus was fine though.

Last edited: