What's new

The Oscars

adi

get out of my house
Saw the highlights on BBC1 last night. What did people think of the results and does anyone know when training days coming out on dvd? I was disgusted that lord of the rings didn't win best film, what is with films about disability and sentimentality always getting the big awards? A beautiful mind was good, but it was hardly mouldbreaking or a classic. Ron Howard winning best director was a joke.

Remote

Expect for the hostess I was pleased with the outcome, the poeple who were awarded with an Oscar clearly deserved one. As as far as I can remeber there was nothing groundbreaking with The lord of the rings - The fellowshop of the rings... It was a good film but it wasn't great.

OP
adi

adi

get out of my house
Remote said:
Expect for the hostess I was pleased with the outcome, the poeple who were awarded with an Oscar clearly deserved one. As as far as I can remeber there was nothing groundbreaking with The lord of the rings - The fellowshop of the rings... It was a good film but it wasn't great.

A film doesn't have to be innovative to win an oscar, as far as I know, thats a no go area in awards apart from special effects. What I meant was that Lord of the Rings was of far higher quality in terms of filmmaking and emotional impact than a Beautiful Mind. What was so good about Ron Howards directing?

Tri-Force

Philosopher Warrior
speaking now as an actor (look at my image) i have to say that i think for the first time everyone who won the top awards (the acting ones and film and director) diserved them. Ron Howards directing was a key in getting the actors to let go and really perform. yah the actors are talented but without a director things are out of order. remember what Whoppie said about Baz Lurmen and how he got snubbed.the director is the visionary, the one who makes the words spring into life. so to answer the question about what was so good about his directing i say he is the one whos vision you saw. not the actors eintirly.

Martin

Administrator
Was dissapointed by Lord of the Rings - the fellowship of the ring. It was way too media hyped which gave me and many others high expectations. Not a bad movie, as Remote said, but I would have rather seen it without hearing media's hype. :)

Ogy

3Dfx Fanatic.
i totally agree w/remote and martin, anyone that says LOTR rulez didn't read the book(lately)

Macca

Best Movie
LotR: Great book - Good Movie, jackson did a good job but i think beautiful mind really deserved to win.

Best Director
Howard also deserved this for a brilliant job

Bast Actor/Actress
No comment as i haven't seen training day or monster's ball

The three main categories all were won by people/movies which really earned it :)

Teamz

J'aime tes seins
I think it sucked

I almost fell asleep in the middle of the show and I don't agree with most of the award winners, nuff said

blizz

I've read the book but LOTR is a much better film than A Beautiful Mind. To be able to take such a detailed source material as the books and condense it down into three films (ok they are long films) takes a lot of doing. and both were originally books and both are better as books.

Ron Howard did not earn it for A Beautiful Mind it is an inaccurate retelling of that guys life, if you're going to do a bio pic at least get it right, he earned it for Apollo 13

the same applies to Denzel Washington who should have won for Malcolm X (and seemingly wouldn't have won if it hadn't been because of Russell Crowe going ape shit on people in the run up to the oscars)

in the end though I'm happy about Denzel Washington and Halle Berry winning, I'd of liked LOTR to get best picture, it's a toss up between him and Jackson though for Director but since LOTR has three parts they may hold off until the third part.

notice how we only give a damm about basically Director, Movie and Lead Actor and Actress

Raging Fuel

The jumbles man, the jumbles
How did Pearl Harbour win best special effects over LOTR?

From the 'Stonecutters Song', from the simpsons.

Who robs cave fish of there site? Who rigs every oscar night?
We DOO!!!

Ogy

3Dfx Fanatic.
blizz said:
I've read the book but LOTR is a much better film than A Beautiful Mind. To be able to take such a detailed source material as the books and condense it down into three films (ok they are long films) takes a lot of doing. and both were originally books and both are better as books.

well, actually you got a good point there, i said LOTR wasn't so great but the oscar is all about comparison, and the fact IS that LOTR is the only movie i've seen this year, so i wouldn't be the one to judge. so scrap my post.