What's new

The Open Pandora project (Open Hardware)

Cyberman

This has steadily become a new thing, Open Hardware.

An example Open Pandora another example is The Beagle Board

A while back in the earlier days of Linux someone made an Open MIPS system (circa 1993-1994).

There are some problems with Open hardware (that is what this post is about).
  1. Time from design to actual hardware tends to be long (minimum is 9months)
  2. People have lives this tends to interfere with most Open hardware projects.
  3. Although well defined, hardware design is MUCH more difficult than software, simply because there are far more things to account for. Some of which tend to blind side you.
  4. Hardware is highly fixed, software is highly malleable.
  5. Hardware involves PHYSICAL assets and PHYSICAL prototyping. You can BLOW it (easily) up if you aren't careful.
  6. Few people involved have the managerial skills to handle the project and do it as well. In fact VERY few people in this world do (can you be the 1 in 100000000 to do this?) Another way to phrase this is you must have more than just one person for an open hardware project unless it's extremely simple (resistor anyone?) More than one person presents another problem.
  7. Divergence of hardware is NOT POSSIBLE, you can't suddenly decide to experimentally change something in hardware, without EXTREMELY huge amounts of money.

I thought I would explain those things before people got the idea that something just magically pops out peoples (anatomical ejection zone) when it comes to hardware.
(cough cough cough)

Unrealistic expectations are the road to disaster.

However THAT all being said, I do believe the day of the Open Console is quickly approaching. No it won't be like the Xbox360 or the PS3 or the Wii.

Why would it be, or more appropriate why SHOULD it be?

First thing you must recognize is the Open part. All 3 listed are highly proprietary.
The second thing you need to recognize is 'what features do you need that they have?'

What should it be like then?
Thought you would never ask:
My view of the any open console is first it's open (you can actually use it like a computer in other words).
This means you can modify and change things in the system as needed. MOST people will not need this (surprised?)
"Upgrading" software I suspect can be more easily done than you expect. I've used Gentoo for a while, my view is that it allows updating the system as you feel necessary. In doing so some things get mangled (seriously) however it's not as bad as you might think. This is the lone thing that must be taken into account after the hardware is finalized, SUPPORT.
'What are you talking about?' well lets say you want to watch a movie on Netflax or iPunes. Can't do that by the way without proprietary software (your out of luck unless they can come up with some way of feeling good about open hardware and software). However you can use for example VLC to and VLC server to watch the movies you do have.

Erstwhile what "GAMES" would there be? Well we are an emulation site AREN'T we?
You do the math, a lot of the games will be older games running on new and different hardware.
Quake Quake2 Duke Nukem etc all have been ported and enhanced (just to start).
You'll also notice WINE has been ported to more than just the X86 and supports DirectX 9.
It may be entirely possible to play old windows games in other words (older?) Dos Games (dosbox anyone?) Game Cube games? Hmmm following I hope?

SO having games available is less an issue. I have a pile of PS1 and PS2 games I would play (seriously). A few N64 ones as well. (Mupen?)

This is an upcoming area of emulation, it is also a bit complicated by the fact that emulators may need to have a more platform independent solution for DREC etc.

What hardware would it be? Well there are numerous nice little beasties out there that do not generate heat enough to burn your hands off (Xbox360 PS3).

I suggest people look at the Beagle Board and Pandora for a view of possibilities.

Perhaps something like the gumstix iron storm? Only with case and connectors (LOL).

Cyberman

PS: You can reply to this it's not some grandios statement, I'm involved with a few open hardware projects hence it's something I'm familiar with as a topic and can be quite technical. Most importantly have fun with the topic. It's time to consider options other than the same old same old when it comes to games.

Last edited:
OP
Cyberman

Cyberman

Continuing with Open Hardware Theme

Many people aren't aware just how much Open Hardware there is or what type of Open Software they cluelessly use on a daily basis.

Linksys got in Trouble for GPL violation (by using BusyBox) and not complying with the license agreement for it just as an example.

Cisco after acquiring Linksys removed the 'Open' part of the system software. You can run Linux on the older Linksys blue boxes without trouble (they have like 16megs of ram and flash I believe) the newer ones have significantly reduced resources (so you CAN'T run Linux on them).

Erstwhile some other open hardware exists many if not most use the Angstrom distribution of Linux.

You will note a lot of older systems (Palm Cell phones) are supported by Angstrom. This particular distribution of Linux is well suited for games and consoles because it's designed to be incremental and one can choose components for a customized variant of the distribution, which includes the development sources for that platform.

I believe many of you are familiar with Enlightenment without knowing it at all. It is quite popular on many consumer products such as blue ray players and certain GAME CONSOLES (won't name them but try and guess).

Anyhow I've been eyeing TI's OMAP offerings and ones like the AM3894 are very tempting for basing open hardware on.

Cyb