What's new

The Next Upgrade

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
I'll just make this short...
I've planned for an upgrade sometime, and these parts are probably what I'll choose. Now, even though I'm a guru at computers, evolution has gone pretty fast, I'm not sure if these parts fit each other anymore :p
Can anyone veryify that it does work?

Albatron K8X890 Pro II - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813170145
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103537
MSI NX6600GT-TD128E Geforce 6600GT 128MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814127147
ATRIX CSCI-G8022C-C43 Black Computer Case With Side Panel Window - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16811209018

- Ca 3.500 exkl. frakt

Another question, also: I know dual channel. But what happens i I add a third stick of memory? Will dual channel remain? Can it work with all three, assuming they're all the same type and the same manufacturer?

Toasty

Sony battery
I've never built a PC before, but in preparation I've been reading up on it a lot and those look like they should work together.

MB/CPU socket types match.
MB/Case form factors match.
MB/Video card interface matches (PCI-Express 16).

Make sure and get a second opinion though. :p Happy upgrading.

OP
Doomulation

Doomulation

Toasty said:
I've never built a PC before, but in preparation I've been reading up on it a lot and those look like they should work together.

MB/CPU socket types match.
MB/Case form factors match.
MB/Video card interface matches (PCI-Express 16).

Make sure and get a second opinion though. :p Happy upgrading.
Yes, that's kinda basic. I was making everything else was correct =)

General Plot

Britchie Crazy
Depending on what you will be putting in this rig (opticial drives, hard drives, lights, etc....), you may want to think about upgrading the PSU to one of a higher wattage. I originally had a 450W in my current rig, and after adding 2 hard drives, 2 optical drives and a backlight on the inside, the original PSU did not have enough power for all of it. I wound up getting a 700W supply, and have not had a problem since.:D
Doomulation said:
I know dual channel. But what happens i I add a third stick of memory? Will dual channel remain? Can it work with all three, assuming they're all the same type and the same manufacturer?
As for dual channel memory, RAM needs to be installed in sets of two. Your DIMM sockets will be color coded: two blue and two black are what I have. In order for dual channel to work, RAM of equal size modules must be put in the same colored slot. So my setup is 2x512 MB RAM in each black socket, and blue sockets are still empty. I'm afraid that using 3 RAM sockets will disable dual channel mode. You may not want to add the 3rd stick of RAM until you can get a 4th one that matches it in size, so that you won't lose dual channel. Dual channel RAM is a very nice performance boost, and I would rather have a little less system memory than to go down to single channel.;)

arnalion

Nintendo Fan
The psu shouldn't be any problems with that hardware (if it's not a crappy one).

generalplot what manufacture did you have on that 450W psu? Q-Tec?

OP
Doomulation

Doomulation

generalplot said:
Depending on what you will be putting in this rig (opticial drives, hard drives, lights, etc....), you may want to think about upgrading the PSU to one of a higher wattage. I originally had a 450W in my current rig, and after adding 2 hard drives, 2 optical drives and a backlight on the inside, the original PSU did not have enough power for all of it. I wound up getting a 700W supply, and have not had a problem since.:D
Uhhh... right. I have never any troubles of that sort methinks. I'll check what my current case has. Besides, I probably won't get any other, since they're too expensive... ehem. Not that are expensive, but I'm too cheap. Yes... that has go to be it.

As for dual channel memory, RAM needs to be installed in sets of two. Your DIMM sockets will be color coded: two blue and two black are what I have. In order for dual channel to work, RAM of equal size modules must be put in the same colored slot. So my setup is 2x512 MB RAM in each black socket, and blue sockets are still empty. I'm afraid that using 3 RAM sockets will disable dual channel mode. You may not want to add the 3rd stick of RAM until you can get a 4th one that matches it in size, so that you won't lose dual channel. Dual channel RAM is a very nice performance boost, and I would rather have a little less system memory than to go down to single channel.;)
Yes, that answers my question perfectly, thanks.

General Plot

Britchie Crazy
arnalion said:
The psu shouldn't be any problems with that hardware (if it's not a crappy one).

generalplot what manufacture did you have on that 450W psu? Q-Tec?
Some PSU that came with the case. Had an "i-cute" logo on the side. And as I found out, it wasn't very cute.:p

WhiteX

here they got some bogus way to measure the PSU´s the 500W from Brazil can hardly go 230W, paid the price of the foolishness myself.

xneoangel

Persona User
Yeah Power Supplies here suck as well when i first got my Radeon 9800 PRO i fried 2 power supplies of "500W(yeah sure)" in the end i ordered a real 450W Power Supply from an internet store and i have had no more problems since then.

OP
Doomulation

Doomulation

Hmm, but a 450W power supply would last long. My curent one is only 300, and has given me no problems...

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
300 watts won't be enought IMHO. I currently have a 350 watts PSU without troubles but since you are buying a 6600 GT that needs hell a lot more power than a regular 6600 like mine. I recommend you to get a 400 watts one. That should be enought. 700 watts is good if you want to connect an USB frying pan or something IMO :p

And if you get a third stick of RAM you'll indeed lose dual channel, no matters if the 3 sticks are all the same. If you want dual channel you should have 2 or 4 sticks. I'll also recommend you to get a 3200+ or a 3500+. They are getting cheaper nowadays!

OP
Doomulation

Doomulation

t0rek said:
300 watts won't be enought IMHO. I currently have a 350 watts PSU without troubles but since you are buying a 6600 GT that needs hell a lot more power than a regular 6600 like mine. I recommend you to get a 400 watts one. That should be enought. 700 watts is good if you want to connect an USB frying pan or something IMO :p

And if you get a third stick of RAM you'll indeed lose dual channel, no matters if the 3 sticks are all the same. If you want dual channel you should have 2 or 4 sticks. I'll also recommend you to get a 3200+ or a 3500+. They are getting cheaper nowadays!
Yes well, I am getting a 480W case.

GCFreak: mind commenting on why they are so much better?

GCFreak

ok,

1)theyre faster
2)these run at a 2GHz+ operating frequency
3) 3200+ smashed 3000+ in benchmarks i saw :O

Clements

They also cost more, and it's possible to overclock the 3000+ Venice to well past the speeds of both the 3200+ and 3500+.

OP
Doomulation

Doomulation

GCFreak said:
not much more expensive.....
Well, it does add up with the total cost. No, I think I'll stick with the cheapest one. The recensions also say that it's a good overclocker. Let's try that.

OP
Doomulation

Doomulation

Btw, another question. I will probably find it cheaper that when I need to upgrade the system next time, I will use SLI. Although I am not a fan of SLI, it would probably be cheaper than buying a new tough high-end card, no?
So, would the PSU suffice for this?
I need to find a motherboad to support SLI also, that has the same features (at least, that it was I hope for) that the one I've chosen above have.

arnalion

Nintendo Fan
t0rek said:

Some people have intel P4 Prescott and 6800ultra etc on 300 watts psu's so it's the quality and how the manufacture calculates the watt that is importent.