What's new

The newest pokemon games

Ody

Ody, you're utterly wrong
Actually, I may be wrong but not utterly. Let me explain since I studied law during my undergraduate studies.
There are two sorts of legal protection for software: copyright and patent.
Very likely, this emulator is copyrighted since Nintendo has the financial mean to pay for the protection. However, copyright does not protect against personal use. For example, most songs are copyrighted and you are still allowed to listen. Copyright protects against unauthorized commercial distribution and change in the protected object, which 99.99% of users don't even have a clue of.

On the other hand, there may be a patent protecting the emulator (which can also be likely since Nintendo has money). Two cases can be considered:
- the emulator is not patented, in this case, the use is totally legal and if there were to be legal pursuit, it would only concern the one that leaked.
- the emulator is patented, in this case, it implies that the emulator has to go public since it is one of the conditions for a patent to be accepted. And released in public means usable by all legally.

To illustrate, you can take the example of Coca-Cola. The formula has never been known outside the company because it was never patented. Coca-Cola decided not to buy a patent protection for its forumla because patent has a limited length in time and their formula, though protected would have been known by the general public and usable by all after the protection time expired. Rather they decided to keep it secret, if the formula was leaked, then Coca-Cola could only blame the one employee that was at fault, everyone else can use it without fear of legal issue.

So regardless of what we can read on the web, using this emulator is legal. The web has also spread other flase rumors like trying a rom for 24 hours is legal, etc...
Nevertheless, to moderate a little my analysis, let's say I may be a little wrong since software patent is a sensible subject. The development of this area is quite different between countries and there may be states that would forbid the use of such software.

However, regardless of what is said around the web, using emulator is already illegal, even if you don't run commercial rom. Emulators use part of a console specification and as such they should have obtained a license from the console company, which is unlikely the case since these companies are not very inclined to incite emulator development. If you add rom, which is the major use of emulator, all the emulation community is just plainly illegal in theory.

Anyway, all this to say that, we are all in illegality but we are still using emulators and roms, so there is no point in further discussing ensata, especially when it can runs less than 10 games in total.

Sorry for being so long :(

Last edited:

synch

Ody said:
However, regardless of what is said around the web, using emulator is already illegal, even if you don't run commercial rom.

Well, at least in courts, judges haven't agreed with you, afaik. Most of the judgments done, failed (if they did so) due to the defendant not being able to invest a huge amount of money in their defense. At least from the few examples I've been able to read.

Ody said:
Emulators use part of a console specification and as such they should have obtained a license from the console company

Wouldn't this only apply when copying the hardware with hardware?

But, anyway, even if in the grey area, emulation has been proven to be legal in the past, don't know about the future.

Ody

As I said, software protection is a messy area and it is difficult to interprete the law... Emulation may be legal with respect to some points of view but I think we can all agree that running commercial roms without having the original game is illegal. Anyway, these intellectual protection things are real headaches and each country has its own system.

Btw, I don't live in the US ;)

spotanjo3

Ody: You are doing just fine. Don't worry about it. That's their point of view against you and that is nothing wrong. By the way, where do you live ? :)

WhiteX

I am not sure either :laugh:
Anyway, emulation in general is a sensible subject bordering on illegality...
Sorry that my first posts were already controversial. I'll try to be less visible in the future.
Nice to meet you by the way :)

Howdy!

Well, we don´t get as technical as your other post, here we don´t condone the use of copyrighted material, such as warez and leaks like ensata.

We know that each of us has our own means to acquire our games but we do not encourage ppl to talk about them, if you say you´re playing a commercial game we´ll assume that you are doing it on the most legal way possible and will not ask about it, but if you do talk about it heads will surely roll, capische? :p

Ody

LOL Understood, I won't talk about sensible emulators and will stick with the common ones everyone talks about :)

paste120

Pokemon Diamond & Pearl - Doesn't Work - Black Screen
(And this goes for ALL emulators, No$GBA/DeSmuME/iDeaS)

Works for me

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v88/paste120/works.jpg

EDIT

OOPs almost ...

almost.jpg

Last edited:

paste120

ya it lags a bit .. the 3d stuff doesn't draw but the textures do. sort of :(

do you have a 3d problem? Mine does.

BmWm3GtR

Freezes

Hey guys my game freezes right after the first battle when you first pick your starter pokemon. When the pokemons HP drops to zero it freezes. Anyone else having this problem or anyone that can help solve this. Maybe I have something setup wrong in the options. Thanks in advance.

64fanatic

works fine..

Works almost 100% on no$gba 2.4a..

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f191/64fanatic/wiixs6.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f191/64fanatic/hallij8.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f191/64fanatic/adventureiv4.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f191/64fanatic/Untitled.jpg

using an Athlon XP 2500+ I get speeds around 55-70% outside, and 70-100% inside/battles and 100% menu

probably works 100% with any newer computers.

I didn't notice any graphical issues except the intro which is just black with sound.

Oh and the game is Pokemon Diamond.

Last edited:

Metalraider

speed is good so far! :king:

did had some lag at the beginnen when going to the lake but for the rest perfect ;)

i have a AMD 3500 2,2 Ghz Nvidia Geforce 7600GS

pokemonspeedlt7.png

Ody

Hey guys my game freezes right after the first battle when you first pick your starter pokemon. When the pokemons HP drops to zero it freezes. Anyone else having this problem or anyone that can help solve this. Maybe I have something setup wrong in the options. Thanks in advance.
You have to turn on the sound. Press F11 and in Sound output mode, choose either Mono or Stereo.