What's new

The Linux kernel compiling blues!!!

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
Does anyone know why when I run make install, the error message about __PAD array being too large appears and then the error message "Error 1" appears?

This is with Mandrake Linux 8.1 and Kernel 2.4.8.

Lex

Try doing it manual:

mount /boot
cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/kernel-2.*.*
cp /usr/src/linux/System.map /boot/System.map-2.*.*
cp /usr/src/linux/.config /boot/config-2.*.*

replace the 2.*.* with your kernel version

And edit your grub/lilo config

Slougi

RJARRRPCGP, the info you posted does not say much. Anyway, do as lex said. You don't need to copy the config btw.

OP
RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
Slougi said:
RJARRRPCGP, the info you posted does not say much. Anyway, do as lex said. You don't need to copy the config btw.

Note that the above error messages appeared after I used the GUI front-end kernel configuration utility that comes with Mandrake Linux 8.1 but after I was instructed by the GUI front-end kernel configuration utility to run make install and then did run make install

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
I believe you have to run 'make' before you 'make install'. Does the config utility do that for you? It would be odd if it would make for you yet not make install afterwards.

Also, try running 'make dep' before running 'make' to check dependencies.

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
I thought it was always best as well to do the makes in this order

make clean (only if your reconfiguring the kernel)
make config
make dep
make all
make install

Is this not correct?

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
/me is also having kernel compiling blues

Compiling a kernel for your native x86 hardware is one thing, but cross compiling a kernel for a mips big endian architecture is a bitch. (not to mention adding your own custom patches for the kernel on top of that)

Last edited:

Slougi

AlphaWolf said:
/me is also having kernel compiling blues

Compiling a kernel for your native x86 hardware is one thing, but cross compiling a kernel for a mips big endian architecture is a bitch. (not to mention adding your own custom patches for the kernel on top of that)

?
You should just have to select the correct architecture in the config, no?