What's new

'The Legend of Zelda' controller glitch

Luigi4444

Hello, this my first post on emutalk.com, though I wouldn't say I'm new to emulation.
Now, I have a question: Why is it, in "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time" (and Majora's Mask!), that I cannot be holding down certain buttons simultaneously?

For example, in OoT, I cannot hold the buttons: Z, < (joystick), and (tapping) A.
It is the same when trying to tap A while holding Z and ^ (joystick) OR Z and (Down on joystick).

Yet, I can hold > (joystick), Z, and (tapping) A fine!

Because of this, I must be Z-targetting an OBJECT in order to backflip or dodge to the left! (You do not have to HOLD DOWN "Z" while Z-targetting an actual object.).

Unfortunately, in Majora's Mask, even when Z-targetting an object, you have to HOLD DOWN the Z button.
This means that in Majora's mask, I cannot jump attack, backflip, OR dodge to the left UNLESS I "un-Z-target" and quickly press ^A, <A, or (Down)A.

Also, in case it helps solve the problem, when I press forward
(simply to walk along the ground, or run),
Link has a VERY slight tendency to tilt left.

VERY slight. But noticable. Doesn't really affect gameplay at all.

Sorry for the long question; I am using Project64 v1.6.

Thanks!

Toasty

Sony battery
Hello, this my first post on emutalk.com, though I wouldn't say I'm new to emulation.
Now, I have a question: Why is it, in "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time" (and Majora's Mask!), that I cannot be holding down certain buttons simultaneously?

For example, in OoT, I cannot hold the buttons: Z, < (joystick), and (tapping) A.
It is the same when trying to tap A while holding Z and ^ (joystick) OR Z and (Down on joystick).

Yet, I can hold > (joystick), Z, and (tapping) A fine!
I suspect you are using a keyboard, in which case you can only use two keys at a time (in addition to a few special modifier keys). (Note that this is a technical limitation to PS/2 keyboards and isn't limited to PJ64.) If this is the case, I suggest getting a gaming controller for your PC.

Unfortunately, in Majora's Mask, even when Z-targetting an object, you have to HOLD DOWN the Z button.
I'm afraid that's incorrect. (Perhaps your in-game settings got changed from Switch to Hold?)

OP
L

Luigi4444

I suspect you are using a keyboard, in which case you can only use two keys at a time (in addition to a few special modifier keys). (Note that this is a technical limitation to PS/2 keyboards and isn't limited to PJ64.) If this is the case, I suggest getting a gaming controller for your PC.

Huh? Then why is it that I CAN hold > (joystick), A, and Z?! I really don't think that that is it. I can ALSO press ^, <, and C-right at the same time! (By the way, yes I am using a PS/2 keyboard.) Is page-down a modifier key? I thought that they were only Ctrl, Alt, (SuperKey), and shift.

Hmm..... would it intefere with Windows if I set the Z button to Ctrl? Also, is it possible to get a classic Nintendo64 controller that connects directly to a PC without any adapters? (e.g. USB, PS/2)

Are you sure that the limit is two keys? (I guess that's why they call it PS/2):borg:

Toasty

Sony battery
Then why is it that I CAN hold > (joystick), A, and Z?! I really don't think that that is it. I can ALSO press ^, <, and C-right at the same time!
I couldn't say without knowing what keys you have mapped to what functions.

AFAIK no one makes N64 controllers for PC, but there are adapters as well as PC controllers that work well for N64 emulation.

OP
L

Luigi4444

I couldn't say without knowing what keys you have mapped to what functions.

AFAIK no one makes N64 controllers for PC, but there are adapters as well as PC controllers that work well for N64 emulation.

Sorry, I should have said:

N64: PC:

Z = Z
A = X
B = C
Joystick = Arrows

R = S
L = A

C-Down = End
C-Right = Pg Down
C-Left = Delete
C-Up = Home

They're the default controls.
What version of Majora's Mask do you have?
I have (U) (.... oh. I thought I had (EU). Apparently not.):borg:

Perhaps different regions vary as to whether you must hold down the "Z" button or not.

Anyway, I assigned the "Z" button to the 'left shift' key. Problem terminated.:nuke:

Still, I wonder why, if sometimes I CAN hold three 'non-modifier' keys down, I had the problem in the first place....

Anyway, thanks; because of you, it was brought to my attention that modifier keys are excepted from the rule that:
"No three or more keys may be pressed simultaneously"

OP
L

Luigi4444

Yeah, I've already searched the net for adapters and and controllers with
'USB-native' ports. I've found a seemingly good adapter that can interchange between Gamecube and N64 controllers.

http://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/gc_n64_usb_adapters/index.php

--Which got me thinking: why not use an arguably superior controller; a Gamecube controller! Well, I never owned a Gamecube, so I'll have to find a controller on eBay!

OP
L

Luigi4444

It's an arguably better analog stick imo. The button layout doesn't lend itself well to many games though, and I won't get into that teeny-tiny d-pad (grrr).

Well, at least the controller has many buttons. I could customie the buttons and their functions via any software I use, so the layout shouldn't be a problem.

Doesn't the Gamecube controller have 13 buttons and two analog sticks?

By the way, I still seem to be having problems Z-targetting, though it is better.
I cannot move diagonally while holding up a shield and Z-targetting. Still playable, though.

Also, I wasn't aware of any 'in-game' settings in Majora's Mask. If there really are such in-game settings, could someone tell me how to access them?

Last edited:

Toasty

Sony battery
When you first start the game on the file select screen, before you choose a file, navigate below the Copy/Erase buttons to the Options button and select it. Then navigate to the Z Targeting mode and make sure it's Switch rather than Hold.

EDIT:
Gamecube controller has 8 buttons (A, B, X, Y, Z, R, L, Start), two analog sticks and a directional pad. (Though technically the L and R triggers aren't quite the same as buttons, as they register variable pressure.)
N64 controller has 10 buttons (4 C buttons, A, B, Z, R, L, Start), one analog stick and a directional pad.

Last edited: