What's new

The future of Nintendo 64 emulation

jaffa_sinas

k. if was wrong about that whole cartridge thingy. :blush:

well about the xbox; yep i think it's the next thing 2 be emulated;
ps2?? dunno.. ngc: mini dvd's; so that's gonna be hard ???

and yes i underestimated that coding a n64 emulastor.. damn i dunno shit about coding.. i'm gonna start with c++ soon :D

just wanted to get that of my mind

Azimer

Emulator Developer
If someone puts enough time and mustered into it... I feel N64 can be emulated 100%. This is more so for N64 then for any previous console. Why? Because most games use some sort of an API (N64 OS + Some Company API for instance). These high level extractions make it easy for hacking out one game makes many others work as well. I don't feel our current approach will yield 100% compatibility... mostly because progress is too slow and too isolated... not to mention everyone is reinventing the wheel *looks at all the new graphics dlls* *looks at people worrying about speed and not compat.* That is just my opinion and not that of Emulation64. :)

flow``

flow``
jaffa, all other emulated consoles (with exception of ps and saturn) hav been cartridge based. that has not stopped emu-authors from emulating them (look at zsnes...95+% compat!). and i think u hav totally underestimated the difficulty of making a (good and original) emu.

You missed a few cd-only consoles/addons

jaguar, phillips cdi-i, 3do, 32x.. and a few others around that era

Azimer: I agree with you fully =p

sk8bloke22

roll for life
Re: i agree and disagree...

crhylove said:
[B
so anyone who thinks the cube or ps2 will win this war is delusional. nintendo should stick with low end handhelds, that's the only place it'll stay alive in the future, unless they start putting out titles again, which they might, but the xbox already has too much momentum anyway. simpson's road rage is worth it's weight in game cube romz, no doubt about it.

crhylove [/B]

omg u r so wrong. for starters xbox really isnt that good. i would much rather hav a ps2 or gc (preferabbly both) than an xbox.

ps2 has so many decent titles; gta3, state of emergency, devil may cry, jak and daxter, gt3, rez, pro evolution soccer...soooo many....virtua fighter 4 is a million times better than doa3...doa3 gets so dry when the gfx begin to wear off of u, virtua fighter 4 is just so damn playable.

i cant talk too much about the cube as ive only played a few games (monkey ball, waverace, luigi's mansion) - but they also seem good.

xbox's only real highlights for me is halo, which is amazing. the xbox really isnt that much better than the other consoles when u take away its fancy gfx. thats my opinion....sorry to be off topic.

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
flow`` said:

You missed a few cd-only consoles/addons

jaguar, phillips cdi-i, 3do, 32x.. and a few others around that era

Azimer: I agree with you fully =p

i was hoping no one will catch me on that :p

but i proved my point.

flow``

flow``
Here are some others..

3DO
CD32
CDI
CDTV
FM Towns
Jaguar CD
MegaCD
Neo Geo CD
PC Engine
PC-FX
Playdia
Saturn

that should about cover it =)

sk8bloke22

roll for life
wat the hek was a playdia and FM town?????

i think u missed one, do u remember there was a mac console released only in japan (it may not hav been released) i cant remember wat it was called, but i swear it existed...unless i dreamed or something.

zero0w

Maverick Hunter
Azimer said:
If someone puts enough time and mustered into it... I feel N64 can be emulated 100%. This is more so for N64 then for any previous console. Why? Because most games use some sort of an API (N64 OS + Some Company API for instance). These high level extractions make it easy for hacking out one game makes many others work as well.

Agree with you Azimer.

I still think the original approach by Epsilon and Reality Man in coding UltraHLE by using high level API emulation is the most effective (NOT to undermine the effort of all N64 emu coders out there however). I played thru Zelda64 with UltraHLE and there's almost no slowdown at any place at all (except near the end), with constant and satisfactory framrates in a Celeron 450 system. Corn also performs very well though with just few supported games. As such I think perfect N64 emulation is possible but the effort and time to be spent on coding and testing it will be great and long.

Last edited: