What's new

The dreaded faulty motherboard capacitor outbreak!!!

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
Has anyone around here been a victim of the dreaded faulty motherboard capacitor syndrome?

People on the internet seem to be bringing up the topic about popular motherboards having faulty capacitors.

There's been news on the internet about corporate corruption causing motherboards to have el-cheapo capacitors.

Allnatural

A friend of mine had an Epox mobo that blew a few capacitors. I've not heard of an epidemic though...

smcd

I recently (within the past 4 months) replaced my gigabyte motherboard because it decided it'd be fun to kill a/few capacitor/s. They aren't allowing enough tolerances in the circuitry these days. :(

GogoTheMimic

Pimpin' Red Mage
There is a row of capacitors right next to my CPU heatsink. I'm always afraid of breaking them when I pop off the darn thing. :/ I've also heard some horror stories but haven't had any problems myself. *knocks on wood*

Jakob

evil *******
Believe it or not, there is a rather large trade in counterfeit capacitors, they're often sold to motherboard manufacturers at a large discount and are the ones that explode. Usually they're fine, but every once in a while the stolen formula's they get their hands are innacurate or incomplete, which is what causes them to die. There was a rather bad batch a couple years ago that caused a lot of faulty boards as well.

Reznor007

My old Abit KA7 blew several caps, which in turn caused it to blow a voltage regulator. It was just out of warranty too...