What's new

The Direct 3D problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeotronic

I've got the direct 3D problem... I've tried everything mentioned to fix it. I'd rather not go out and buy a new graphix card, or whatever... Escpecially because I already know its hard finding upgrades for laptops (at least around here). I'm fairly certan I have Direct X 9... though I don't know how to check this. I have ATI RAGE mobility (DELL) graphix card and if its any relation I get this problem trying to play Animal Crossing.

ShizZy

Emulator Developer
ATI Rage isn't a Dx9 Video Card, nor is it a Dx8 card (I believe, enless they made newer versions of the Rage which I don't think they did). Chances are, it doesn't have true 3D acceleration. (So even if you do have Dx9 installed, it won't make a difference) And, if you're on a laptop, there's really no way to upgrade the video card. So really, to run games, you're going to need a new computer. I really don't think there is anything you can do.

OP
Zeotronic

Zeotronic

ATI Rage isn't a Dx9 Video Card, nor is it a Dx8 card (I believe, enless they made newer versions of the Rage which I don't think they did).
Thats crap... I run N64 games all the time, namely Mario 64.
To check Direct X, go to Execute and type "dxdiag".
Well, I've tried that and I still couldn't figure it out. Well, I'll just (re?)download and install direct x 9 and see if I still have this problem.

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
Um, you run Mario 64 so you think you can run a Gamecube emulator? Even with high-end hardware, Dolphin is no where near playable, so you're really not going to gain much. :huh:

Not a chance it'll run on your craptop tho. There's no way that Rage will even be able to start Dolphin.. it doesn't even have a TnL engine.. not to mention it's a DX6 part, with a crappy implementation at that.

That thing's trash, don't waste your time.

Last edited:
OP
Zeotronic

Zeotronic

Well... Thats not what I was trying to suggest... I was trying to point out how it CAN do 3D stuff... no matter how basic... As for my time, I'm much better off wasting it then my (non-existant)money.

Last edited:
OP
Zeotronic

Zeotronic

Besides, its not like I'de be better off putting everything onto my dad's PC downstares. AND HELL! This is Animal Crossing we're talking about! The thing practically IS N64.

Clements

I get 9-13fps with Animal Crossing with my overclocked 3200+ with 6800 Ultra. I doubt that laptop has the necessary requirements to even execute the game.

Even the N64 version on a N64 emulator will run badly due to the ATi Rage Pro, let alone the Gamecube version.

OP
Zeotronic

Zeotronic

Well, just for argument: I'll bring my dad's PC specs in here and we'll see if I'de be better off wasting my time on that... Oh, and yea I had Direct X 9.

OP
Zeotronic

Zeotronic

Laptop VS PC

Time to compare.
Dell Latitude Laptop
CPU: Pentium 3
Video: ATI RAGE Mobility
RAM: 256mb
VS
HP Pavilion xt993 (fixed defective model)
CPU: AMD Athlon Processor
Video: S3 Graphics ProSavage 8A26
RAM: 112 MB

Branz_mf

I don't want to be rude but... both video card suck!!! You will only be able to play prehistoric games with those old cards (relic from old win98 hardware acceleration).

Last edited:

Knuckles

seriously, Dolphin require a DirectX9 compatible video card & drivers. if the card is either too old and doesn't have recent drivers for DX9 stuff, it simply won't work. Of course, you're on a laptop so it can't be changed.

On the other PC, you can get any cheap nv cards like a GF4MX and put it in there, install the latest forceware and you'll be able to run dolphin..... even with a nice and little... 112MB of ram... ( I guess it's 128 with 16MB shared with the onboard S3 chip video...

DOGG

Zeotronic said:
Time to compare.
Dell Latitude Laptop
CPU: Pentium 3
Video: ATI RAGE Mobility
RAM: 256mb
VS
HP Pavilion xt993 (fixed defective model)
CPU: AMD Athlon Processor
Video: S3 Graphics ProSavage 8A26
RAM: 112 MB
eeewwww. don't buy brand name computers. they're the biggest rippoff. just get ur own parts and build your own machine.

besides, no matter how fast your computer is you're not gonna be playing the game. so just give up

ShizZy

Emulator Developer
Thats crap... I run N64 games all the time, namely Mario 64.
No 3D Acceleration doesn't mean you can't play 3D Games. It means that you cannot run them in hardware mode, only software mode (which is much slower and has less features). Some N64 emulators are compatable like this. And, these emulators are hacked and optimized over and over again to be able to do this. The GCN is a much more powerful console, and Dolphin is even more taxing. And, even if you were able to boot a game, you wouldn't be able to get past the title screen because the rest of your computer is garbage.

OP
Zeotronic

Zeotronic

eeewwww. don't buy brand name computers.
I don't... I got my laptop for free... and Dad got the PC himself... Without... Asking anyone for tips... Wasn't too bright was it?

ShizZy

Emulator Developer
Brand name computers are fine, if you know how to shop for them. These days it's getting just as cheap to buy one as to build one :p

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
But most don't realize they cut the needed ram in half for one thing. It's still best to build one for yourself or upgrade the damnable thing. They also tend to ship with built-in gfx cards which is THE biggest mistake EVER.

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
ShizZie said:
No 3D Acceleration doesn't mean you can't play 3D Games. It means that you cannot run them in hardware mode, only software mode (which is much slower and has less features).

LOL. Then the FPS probably would be in the single digits. The ATI Rage at least does have 3D hardware acceleration with DirectX 6 support.

General Plot

Britchie Crazy
ShizZie said:
Brand name computers are fine, if you know how to shop for them. These days it's getting just as cheap to buy one as to build one :p

As a note: it's always been cheaper to build your own rig. When I built my machine 2 years ago, it cost a little over $1000, when I compared it to a similar one on Dell's web site (which had half as much RAM and 120 gigs less HD space) it was around $3,000. Plus, by building your own, you don't run the risk of being stuck with a proprietary design like most prebuilt systems do today. Now if they could just make laptop parts universal..........

Status
Not open for further replies.