What's new

Texture problems in Rare games

Glitcher

I'm experiencing a number of different texture glitches in certain Rare games. I'm currently playing DK64 and the numbers for the warp pads don't display. Also, the character polygons often stretch severely in a flickering way. Not only is this distracting, but it sometimes causes me to fall out of bounds. Also in Banjo-Tooie, the special pad's symbols and the Hag 1's tracks sometimes vanish. I've tried a number of different graphics plugins, but nothing seems to fix the problem. I know Rare games have some graphics glitches, like the missing sky in Goldeneye or the jigsaw animation in Banjo-Kazooie not rendering properly, but is there any way to correct these small texture glitches in B-T and DK64? Oh yeah, and anyone who knows how to fix the map texture glitch in Blast Corps gets a cookie.

EDIT: One last thing: some menus in PJ64 are chopped off on the right side like the screenshot below, which prevents me from selecting certain options. Any way to fix this?

tempfp.jpg

Clements

All the glitches you mention are issues with Jabo's plugin, and PJ64 itself in the case of the stretching polygon issue.

Most of them can be remedied by using Glide64 (or Direct64), others such as the DK64 polygon stretching issue have no solution.

You might want to read the Banjo-Tooie FAQ in order to play the game without lock-ups. With DK64, just save often in-game, not much you can otherwise do.

The reason the plugin menu doesn't fully show is that you have a custom visual style/font/DPI setting.

OP
Glitcher

Glitcher

Whenever I use Glide64, my screen goes completely black. I don't think the plugin is configured properly, but I can't edit its settings because of the aforementioned menu cropping. I'm running Windows 7 with a 1280 x 800 resolution and the default 100% font size. If you can see the full menu, what display settings are you using?

BTW, what are all these FAQs I keep seeing for each rom? I checked gamefaqs.com for relevant information, but didn't find anything. Do you have a link?

Last edited:

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Read the GameFAQ that comes with the emulator, because it outlines some of the problems and solutions certain games have with default plugins.

I don't know how Windows 7 deals with font scaling, but on Windows XP the default is 96 dpi.

Also, Glide64 does not work with most Mobile Intel chips. The default graphics plugin also works poorly with most integrated Intel chips. Use Jabo's Direct3D6 plugin.

Last edited:
OP
Glitcher

Glitcher

I'm also using the default font setting of 96dpi, but my PJ64 menus are still cropped. I manged to copy PJ64 to a computer running Windows XP so I could see the full menus, but I saw nothing that would account for the screen going black when I use Glide64. It's possible the plugin simply isn't compatible with my Mobile Intel 945 graphics card.

Off topic: what's the best emulator and graphics plugin to run Pokémon Puzzle League?

Last edited:

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
but I saw nothing that would account for the screen going black when I use Glide64. It's possible the plugin simply isn't compatible with my Mobile Intel 945 graphics card.

Me said:
Glide64 does not work with most Mobile Intel chips.

Off topic: what's the best emulator and graphics plugin to run Pokémon Puzzle League?
Project64 and Glide64. Then again, you could play the SNES version that is better emulated - although it has a different name and no Pokémon... but I digress.

OP
Glitcher

Glitcher

Heh, I have played Tetris Attack, but the computer AI isn't nearly as sophisticated as in PPL. Mewtwo on Super Hard mode presents more of a challenge.

OP
Glitcher

Glitcher

While I'm talking about Rare graphics, is there any way to enable the fade-out transparency of the Kongs when they use a battle arena pad? I selected the "force alpha blending" option, but that didn't do jack.