What's new

Texture problem in Majora's Mask

jimmyj

I am having trouble with the video plugins for Majora's Mask. So far, the gameplay has been perfect, with two exceptions. First, and less important, is when playing as Deku Link, shooting a bubble reduces FPS drastically. It's annoying, but avoidable for the most part. Second, the Lens of Truth does not show anything that is hidden. Everything just appears to be normal, but hidden characters will react to me with the Lens activated.

The Lens looks alright with Rice's plugin, but background textures and little things are missing or poorly implemented. It is kind of annoying. Glide64 displays everything else fine, but nothing with the Lens of Truth.

Any suggestions for either making Rice's plugin work better or getting TR64/Glide64 to display the hidden things?

Tillmann

Whatever
did you tried the gl64 plugin????
about ricevideo plugin: this plugin was not compiled from the current sources, so it must have been some kind of diference when its generates the texture names :)

Did i was clear? :unsure:

n0dalus

Hi.

I am also having problems with this. Unfortunately, none of the video plugins or configuration seem to make the lens of truth work for me in Majora's mask. Rice comes close in that it shows the hidden objects at the edges of the screen, but it obscures 90% of the screen with a giant red circle when using the lens. Glide64 is able to show shadows of hidden monsters, so that can be helpful but not for all things. Until I can get this working I am pretty much stuck in the game.

Is there any way I can help get this fixed? I am a C programmer if that helps. It would be a shame to leave a little bug like this in such a wonderful project :).

Any help appreciated,
n0dalus.

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
Unfortunately, the only thing you can do to help is to find out where the bug is... which may be hard as a first task on a n64 graphic plugin.

n0dalus

I did find a new workaround (when using Glide64).
Open Glide64.ini in the plugins directory and change 'wireframe = 0' to 'wireframe = 1'. Make sure before doing this the lens of truth is set to a C-button, and now activate it (you will know it's on because of the music change). Most shapes become visible (things like text won't be readable), though it can be a bit tricky in complex scenes. Then use F5 to save after using it then change wireframe back to 0, then restart mupen64 and load (F7).

Changing 'wfmode' to 1 (default is 2) will make the wireframes coloured, which can make visibility worse or better depending on the scene.​

Anyway, I'd still like to help get this fixed. How would I go about debugging it? The above hack shows that the lens of truth works in the sense that it makes these objects "visible", but there must be a texturing problem that causes the objects to remain transparent (or maybe a z-ordering problem that makes the objects stay behind some surface -- I don't know how the lens actually "works"). My suspicion is that the surface drawn on screen to mask the visibility of these objects to just the centre circle is not working properly and is instead masking the whole screen -- if there was a way to force Glide64 to ignore this surface then maybe it would work. Is there some way of triggering the plugin to output all currently active objects and their textures? A before and after comparison, combined with some trial and error could help find the problem.