What's new

Texture caching to Hard Drive.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Re: Re: lol

1964er said:
crhylove said:

actually, ice i think the best thing in your plug is the frame buffer emulation, but with it enabled there are some slow downs, so if texture caching will eliminate that problem, then definitely go for it.

do you know what you are talking about?!? texture caching cant help frame buffer much, if youve been paying any attention to what each is about.
Of course it does.
Frambuffer is textures also. And when it's saved, it doesn't need to do framebuffer.

1964er

Re: Re: Re: lol

Doomulation said:
1964er said:
crhylove said:

actually, ice i think the best thing in your plug is the frame buffer emulation, but with it enabled there are some slow downs, so if texture caching will eliminate that problem, then definitely go for it.

do you know what you are talking about?!? texture caching cant help frame buffer much, if youve been paying any attention to what each is about.
Of course it does.
Frambuffer is textures also. And when it's saved, it doesn't need to do framebuffer.

lol. good old doom.

texture cache saves textures to hd for future use. The most evident effect of framebuffer is copying of the screen. This effect is usually useless after the immediate use. caching to hd just wastes space.

the caching is put to best use when caching textures that are repeatedly used by the game. then it saves time. Just because both works with textures doesnt mean they are directly related.

Last edited:

gokuss4

Meh...
well i think the thing with framebuffer is this. see once i turned on copy buffers in jabo's plugin before i opened the subscreen in zelda, and than went in it, and link was shown correctly, and than i turned off framebuffer, and it was still shown correctly and it was goin normal speed the thing with framebuffer is that it copies all the time, and it needs to so it'll show the changes in stuff. unless for stuff like dlists thats a different story i think. but with the texture cache, it could save framebuffer memory on the hd, and load it once when you enter that framebuffer spt (e.g link in the subscreen menu in the equipment selection). thats what i think, this will help out mostly with the copy buffers framebuffer option mostly. but maybe hmm. do you think there is a way where you can do framebuffer every other frame or like every 10 or 15 frames or something like that? cause like in mario kart 64 when you select copy dlists it goes slow right? but the big tv screen goes slow to, but smooth as you are going, but in the n64, it doesn't go smooth, infact it goes choppy on the tv screen on the real n64 in mario kart 64.

Last edited:

Reznor007

gokuss4 said:
well i think the thing with framebuffer is this. see once i turned on copy buffers in jabo's plugin before i opened the subscreen in zelda, and than went in it, and link was shown correctly, and than i turned off framebuffer, and it was still shown correctly and it was goin normal speed the thing with framebuffer is that it copies all the time, and it needs to so it'll show the changes in stuff. unless for stuff like dlists thats a different story i think. but with the texture cache, it could save framebuffer memory on the hd, and load it once when you enter that framebuffer spt (e.g link in the subscreen menu in the equipment selection). thats what i think, this will help out mostly with the copy buffers framebuffer option mostly. but maybe hmm. do you think there is a way where you can do framebuffer every other frame or like every 10 or 15 frames or something like that? cause like in mario kart 64 when you select copy dlists it goes slow right? but the big tv screen goes slow to, but smooth as you are going, but in the n64, it doesn't go smooth, infact it goes choppy on the tv screen on the real n64 in mario kart 64.

The slowdown in Mario Kart on the real thing was a bad programming issue, not a hardware problem. In Perfect Dark when you get hit and the screen starts to blur, it draws the scene normally, captures 1 frame, draws the next frame normall with the captured frame blended on top, captures that frame, blends that on the next normal frame, and so on. It does it smooth. Mario Kart uses a similar technique. It draws a small frame into a texture, then draws a normal frame, and uses that as a texture.

PC hardware can do a similar thing. You can set the rendertarget of the GPU to be into an area of video RAM that is NOT the framebuffer, then use that as a texture. This can be done in Direct3D and OpenGL...I can't remember if Glide allows this or not though.

The Kasparov 3d demo makes use of this. http://www.elitegroup.demo.org/demo.html

However...it doesn't work completely on Voodoo3 or older because they lack 32bit color, greater than 256x256 textures, and maybe the render-to-texture support. TNT level should support it fine.

crhylove

Banned
settle down 1964er. i wasn't saying that texture cache would help frame buffer emulation, i said it might help over all speed, which is an issue in this plug, at least when FBE is turned on.

geez. read my post again.

oh yeah, and settle down.

rhy

crhylove

Banned

texture caching may speed up the over all plug in, thereby making FBE more usable. Hence it may "fix slowdowns". not necessarily FBE.

lol... it's almost a semantic grammatical debate at this point.

/me leaves..

Slougi

A problem I see with this is that the HDD is pretty slow compared to reading from memory. My understanding is that the emu loads the rom to memory, and then starts running it. If the textures have to be loaded from HDD, it might slow things down even further, instead of speeding the plugin up. Of course, I have no clue what I am talking about, so please ignore me :)

Edit: Doh, I just thought about this again. You propably mean that all cached textures are loaded at startup, right? Somehow when I first thought about it I thought the textures would have to be loaded dynamically.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Slougi said:
A problem I see with this is that the HDD is pretty slow compared to reading from memory. My understanding is that the emu loads the rom to memory, and then starts running it. If the textures have to be loaded from HDD, it might slow things down even further, instead of speeding the plugin up. Of course, I have no clue what I am talking about, so please ignore me :)

Edit: Doh, I just thought about this again. You propably mean that all cached textures are loaded at startup, right? Somehow when I first thought about it I thought the textures would have to be loaded dynamically.
Of course, loading it at startup is always the case.
This is a techinuqe of which even i use.

Cyberman

Doomulation said:
Slougi said:

Of course, loading it at startup is always the case.
This is a techinuqe of which even i use.

Ummmm NO this is NOT always the case. The PS2/PSX systems will prove you wrong in this case. The texture cache is ALWAYS changing on those systems.. just ask Pete Bernadete and Lewpy! ;)

Cyb

jelbo

Nintendo emulation fanatic!
Hi there,

Icepir8, if you have some beta plugin somewhere which supports texture caching/dumping, I'm very interested in it. Actually not for speed matters, but just for saving these textures and use them in various creative ways (like someone said about making Quake 3 levels of them, well, use the textures in levels).

PLEASE help me Icepir8, I would be very thankful. :)