What's new

Texture Alignment

Moose Jr.

Raging Moose
I am having a very curious problem with my PowerColor Radeon 9700 NP, and frankly, it's driving me bonkers. :crazy:

Using any emulator and Jabo's D3D6 1.5.1, I get texture alignment problems in quite a few games (not just those below). Here's few examples:

Mario Kart - The lines splitting the characters faces.
Mario Kart Glitch.jpg

Mario Kart #2 - The individual texures that make up this image aren't aligned (look closely, my jpg compression tool sucks). This is the most frequent style of misalignment I experience.
Mario Kart Glitch 2.jpg

Mario Party - Same as Mario Kart #2. Textures just won't line up.
Mario Party Glitch.jpg

Mario Party #2 - This is a major flaw. Not restricted to this mini-game either.
Mario Party Glitch 2.jpg

Any clues? I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Plugin/Video Card combination. I've tried goofing around with the settings, but nothing seems to work.

These problems also happen with glN64 too in different ways, but that's for another thread.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I'm using Cat 3.6 and DirectX 9.0b

Allnatural

Most of those "glitches" are normal I believe, a product of scaling 2d graphics to non-standard resolutions and/or displaying on progressive displays. Mario Party could be something more as I've never played the game myself, but it's likely the same as above.

OP
Moose Jr.

Moose Jr.

Raging Moose
I've done some more testing:

In reference to the black vertical lines in the first Mario Kart shot: Natural, you were right. The native resolution fixes it. Maybe multiples of it would work too? :)

About the horizontal alignment in both MK shots: It is definitely a Plugin or driver bug. I switched to RGB and it disappeared. That, and it is reproducible in both 1964, Pj64, and Nemu. I have also messed around with every setting on my driver CP and it won't leave so I'm leaning towards plugin bug.

1st Mario Party shot: I set ani in my CP to App Pref and the lines left. I guess only Jabo's plugin ani setting works (please inform me why if you know). This didn't work for the horizontal lines in MK though, but rather contributed to my little plugin-bug hypothesis. That, and the fact that gln64 has no probs with them either.

2nd Mario Party shot: Still working on this... Pretty sure it's a plugin bug. In wireframe rasterization mode, you can see that each line corresponds to a polygon. Don't know what that means, though.

Funny. I spend more time goofing with settings than playing games. Down with perfectionism! :ranting: lol

Jabo

Emulator Developer
As someone already said I think, when you scale it introduces a higher probability for artifacts to arise. 2D scaling in the old 1.5.x code was always touchy... I dont have any problems with it that I know of, but I can definitely see how someone could, the entire coordinate/filtering system is open to interpretation by the IHV and ISV, that's why some like nvidia give you the option to determine where the centre is for a coordinate filtering system

It's definitely something I'd change how I did if I had to do it again, among other things that escape me right now

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
I don't like to tell people this, but in my experience, everytime switching to RGB emulation got rid of a GFX error, the GFX error was the video card's fault, thus any GFX alignment problems you were talking about are probably video card hardware bugs. You may be required to try a video card based on a different GPU. For example, trying a Radeon 7000 instead of a GeForce 2 MX.

Last edited: