What's new

Tell Me The Best Emulator For N64!

Player 1

EmuTalk Member
Hi! I am new and can someone tell me whats the best emulator for n64?

that has
great sound (no laggy sound)
great quality (no slow downs)
great controls (easy to config)

and which plugins to use?

thanks!

riles9262

My dissident is here...
i say pj64 1.5 is the best for me so far, but it does depend on which plugins are good for you. for me, jabo's direct3d6 1.5 is the best graphics plugin. i also use his audio plugin, although it only supports my front 2 speakers instead of all four, and azimers is mega choppy for me :( . for my controller, i use n-rages 1.82a plugin. it's the most userfriendly imo and it has options for rumble controllers, if you have one. i do have one, and it works great!

Or if you have an older pc, use 1964. It's an awesome emulator too. With Azimer's audio, Jabo's GFX (or Glide64 if you have a voodoo), and an input of your choice ( Nrage's for shooters and Jabo's for normal games) it's one of the best. If you have a faster pc (> 1 ghz) use PJ64 with Jabo's GFX or Glide64, Jabo's Dsound, and an input of your choice, and for the better pc use it + RSP.

riles9262

My dissident is here...
Player 1 said:
really? any slow downs? problems? can most games run it?

just a few problems...mario golf and mario tennis have some graphic corruption, and killer instinct gold and rogue squadron dont work...but i think that these are known issues. other than that, all my games (about 12 others) run very fast and i dont have any stability problems.

Jabo's GFX is included in PJ64 (download PJ64 1.4 and 1.5, because by some games it's recommended to use Jabo's 1.40), and Azimer's audio is available from the download-section (I think 0.30 <old driver> is the best one, especially if you use it + RSP).

RSP increases graphics and sound-quality. It's included by PJ64 1.5. To use it with 1964, move it into the 1964 plugin-folder, and check it at the plugin-selection and it will work.

riles9262

My dissident is here...
by increased sound quality, does it decrease the stuttering? or just the quality of sound. the choppy sound is the problem i have with azimer's, otherwise id use it (as jabo's has no 4 speaker support)

I'm not sure it decreases the stuttering, but you should give it a try. You can also fiddle with the settings of the plugin (smaller buffer and uncheck ai hack). Stuttering is a known problem by onboard sound.

riles9262

My dissident is here...
i will give it a shot. i dont have onboard sound tho, i have a soundblaster pci512, similar to the soundblaster live. well lets hope i can get it workin good, some surround sound would be a welcomed addition to this already fabulous emu :)

riles9262

My dissident is here...
ok, just tried azimer's .40 beta, and it is great, better than jabo's. but there still isn't any 4 speaker support! i messed up...the zilmar plugin was the one that supported 4 speakers, not azimer :doh:
the zilmar audio is very choppy tho (and changing the buffer doesnt make it any better), is there a different version that i could try, or some other plugin for 4 speaker support, or does azimer's have an option for it somewhere?
thanks guys
riles

scotty

The Great One
emulator:
PJ64
(hounourable mention to 1964, its good, but PJ64 is more stable)

Plugins
Jabo's D3D6 1.5
Azimers audio .40 beta 2
Jabo's Direct Input7 1.5

For less stuttering use Azi's audio 0.30 or 0.13b. For better quality, use it + RSP (now you've got the same quality as 0.40, but a little faster), and you will see it's really awesome!

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Glide64 is a very good plugin for video. You might also note that due to the many good video plugins out there now you might wish to test them all and see which suits you best.

And zilmar's sound is just basic. It was never meant to be really used. It's mean as for a basic "template" for people to make their own sound plugin.

And last note. Jabo's sound plugin uses directsound (i'm not sure about azimer's, but it should too...?), and afaik directsound controls the output to the speakers and has support for it. So it shouldn't be any wrong with 'em.