What's new

Switching PC Cases

Hexidecimal

Emutalk Bounty Hunter.
I'd like to buy a new case for my PC, something a bit bigger as my current setup is outgrowing its case. I've got a couple things I'm a bit reserved about though:

1) Will the old motherboard fit in the new case, are motherboards universal?

2) How hard is it to install a motherboard to a new case?

I know how to install everything else, cards, drives, etc. I'm just a bit nervous about removing my motherboard and then placing it in a new case. I don't know much about instaling them for one, or reconnect all the cords so when you press the power button it fires up. Any advice/help with this would be much appriciated.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Motherboards, since a very long time ago, have used a universal standard (ATX).

Basically if you're going to change cases, you have to dismantle your system completely (but DO write down where the power button gets plugged in, and note where everything else is hooked up), and then put it back together in the new case. It's very simple if you know how to put together a computer at all.

OP
Hexidecimal

Hexidecimal

Emutalk Bounty Hunter.
Thanks Tagrineth, that's just what I needed to hear, I've ripped em apart before, time to re assemble I suppose.

Kahenraz

If your lucky, your manuf. will have directions about how to hook things up from your case to your MB via a map or specs of each part. Go MSI!!

When I was shopping for parts to rebuilt my new server, a friend kept telling me "get a full tower!! It increases airflow!" And I was like *ppfffttt* I don't need a full tower. A mid is just fine. So, when I bought the case (great deal, 11bay midtower w/400W PSU and 2 built in fans for $42) I went to put in my 5.25 drives and... *wham!* any drives below the top two would whack up against the MB...

I guess it was not intended for a sever motherboard.. I should have gotten a full tower...

It's and excellent box though. I'll sell you the whole kit if you want. I've got a 3.5/5.25 combo drive and a 2nd cd burner I want to install in this thing, but they won't fit!

This is the same case model, but the colors are like the blue front on the left, and the silver body on the right.

case.jpg

Last edited:

nephalim

Psychic Vampire
Don't you have to be concerned about proper cooling? I am nearly certain at least a year or two ago certain machines couldn't be made with certain cases.

Kahenraz

That's a very nice box. Wait.. Oohhh dang! That case is slightly larger than mine!! It'd probably fix my problem drive problem! Great find! I'll grab one for myself when I can spare the cash. I just spent ~$350 building that machine.

OP
Hexidecimal

Hexidecimal

Emutalk Bounty Hunter.
For anyone who's looking for cheap PC Cases parts etc, www.pricewatch.com is the place, my next video card will be purchased there, they have a RADEON 9600 256meg with CRT/DVI/TV Out for 145 dollars ATM, I'm letting the price come down a bit and waiting until after I get back from the beach, then the saving starts, its a kick ass card, I need to add that, and an Audigy Platinum 2 and I think my machine will be near perfect, minus a DVD Burner.

Kahenraz

*ppffftttt* Radeon... I'm hardcore nVidia and am going to stick with it.

*sniffles* But I do miss 3dfx. They had some nasty cards. I think that their real downfall was the 5500. They PROMISED that the Voodoo 5500 would have 128megs of onboard ram and they let the consumer down. And their benchmarks. All they needed was a little more power to have beated the new nVidia chips. But 5600.. now THAT was a monster! Too bad it never made it to store shelves.

OP
Hexidecimal

Hexidecimal

Emutalk Bounty Hunter.
I have an Nvidia now, it's obviously a shitty one, but it's still Nvidia, and so far it's done me no wrong, however, from the reviews i've seen for this card, and the fact it's running at 256meg, and the fact its 140 bucks and fall, I'm switching.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Kahenraz said:
*ppffftttt* Radeon... I'm hardcore nVidia and am going to stick with it.

Your loss. www.beyond3d.com

*sniffles* But I do miss 3dfx. They had some nasty cards. I think that their real downfall was the 5500. They PROMISED that the Voodoo 5500 would have 128megs of onboard ram and they let the consumer down. And their benchmarks. All they needed was a little more power to have beated the new nVidia chips. But 5600.. now THAT was a monster! Too bad it never made it to store shelves.

No, they didn't *PROMISE* that the 5500 would have 128MB. They promised there'd be a model with 128MB, which would have been the 6000, and that never made it to retail - too many board problems.

Lutomes

Grand High Emperor
Back on topic...

The thing I hate about switching towers, is when the new tower doesnt have screw holes in the right place to mount the mother board. When I switched to my new tower, there were 2 or 3 screws that I couldnt use because there was no hole in the tower to put them into.

Luckily most of the screws went in, and the weight was evenly distributed. Otherwise the mb might have cracked when i put the pci cards in.