What's new

SUSE Internet Problems

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
I'm unable to connect to Internet using SUSE 9.1, my modem is an "Intracom Netmod". It is an external USB ISDN modem, however Yast detect it only as a modem an not like a ISDN system. I configured Kinternet but it does not work, it doesn't even show any error messages, so I installed a program called "XISP", with this one, I see activity but when its finally gets connected to the server, it get disconnected after a few seconds... so what can I do guys?

OP
t0rek

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
UPDATE: Using Xisp I finally made a susccesfull connection that is stable, keeps connected the time I want and even show me my assigned IP. However I don't know why, when I try to open a browser like Firefox or Konqueror they tell me I don't have an internet connection, but I'm quite sure that I have a connection to my ISP, so what is missing? Do you recommend me to try with another prrogram? Please I need help, Malcom if you see this, please help me; I know you have a lot of experience using linux...

Slougi

Can you ping things? Open Konsole (K-menu -> System -> Terminal Program (Konsole)) and type "ping emutalk.net", for example.

If you can't, you probably need to set up your DNS servers; I guess in Suse this is done graphically, but just in case there is no option for that, they are set in a text file called "/etc/resolv.conf". For example:

Code:
# Insert nameservers here
# nameserver 127.0.0.1
nameserver 194.157.175.2
nameserver 194.157.175.3

The first two lines starting with # are comments and ignored; only the last two lines actually do something. You need to be root to edit this file.

This is a biggish problem in Linux I think; also in case of PPPoE you often need to set the DNS servers manually.

Eagle

aka Alshain
Possibly it might be a DHCP problem? I didnt start Linux until I got broadband but if you arent recieving an IP from your ISP/Router then it will seem as though you are connected even though you arent.

OP
t0rek

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
To Slougi: I'm pretty sure that my ISP automaticaly gives DNS servers (at least I never configured that stuff on Windows, not sure if I must configure them using linux). So I'll try...

To Eagle: When I'm running Xisp I'm pretty sure I get connected because it shows me an IP.

BTW how can I take screenshots in Linux to explain all these things using them?

Last edited:

EdgeBlade

Brandonn
Sounds like your cards a little messed up. I just browsed the fourms and foiund out you could 're-flash' it. All you need is a standerd printer cable to connect your modem to a network card that works. Then when you run the internet through the network card, it will copy the working files over the broken ones in your modem. Then your modem will be like new. Or, you can send it into MadCatz to flash it for you because they've take up support for that to replace the old GameShark busniess they used to have.

OP
t0rek

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
EdgeBlade said:
Sounds like your cards a little messed up. I just browsed the fourms and foiund out you could 're-flash' it. All you need is a standerd printer cable to connect your modem to a network card that works. Then when you run the internet through the network card, it will copy the working files over the broken ones in your modem. Then your modem will be like new. Or, you can send it into MadCatz to flash it for you because they've take up support for that to replace the old GameShark busniess they used to have.

I don't know WTF are you talking about... anyway I said my moden is USB

OP
t0rek

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
SECOND UPDATE:

I tried editing "/etc/resolv.conf" and didn't work... After searching a lot on the web, I find out that I'm very unlucky because:

1. For some reason ISDN modems compatibility with Linux is something that hasn't been worked a lot. Maybe because ISDN is obsolete for internet now and everyone is using ADSL or better connections.

2. Linux has better compatibility with ISDN internal modems than with external ones... and the less supported external modems are USBs like mine.

I have to be clear that this modem is working fine with Windows, so is not a hardware related problem. Suse doesn't detects my modem, just like an external modem and not like an USB one, I believe that mainly because of that I'm unable to ge it working, and if try to install it manually, Suse offers me a poor list of ISDN modems, and most of them are internal.

So guys should I surrender???

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
Sorry I didn't notice this thread earlier, thanks for PM'ing me.

If you go to IntraCOMs website they actually have a step by step guide on how to setup the netMod USB modem undex Linux.

http://netmod.intracom.gr/pdf/pdf_engl/usb_linux_22x_en.pdf

When following this guide, and recompiling your kernel, make sure you enable _MORE_ then what you think you need. Its better to have a larger kernel and more modules then to have a non-booting system.

Last edited:
OP
t0rek

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
Thanks for your atention Malcolm, that guide is the very first I tried and it didn't work :( Suse is already installed with a 2.6x kernel, and it has USB and ISDN support already enabled. Could you tell me how can I take screenshots in linux? I need to post them here...

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
Depending on what you have installed you can:
- import -root session-1.png
- use "xwd > {filename}" and click the window you want to capture (most installs of XFree86 come with this installed)
- use gimp