What's new

Surround Sound Plugin

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
there isn't actually one.

you can pull of virtual surround with jabo's directsound using a Dolby pro logic reciever

Poobah

Yes, any stereo audio plug-in will work fine. Just make sure it's running through any hardware with Dolby Pro-Logic decoding capabilities. Also make sure not to "send A-Lists to audio plug-in" in PJ64's RSP configuration.

A.I.

Banned
Perfect Dark is the best game to test surround sound. You can actually hear footsteps behind you. Spooky! :gunman:

BTW Poobah/Squall 'virtual 5.1 sound mode' is the same as prologic 2. PD demos it pefecto! :bouncy:

Poobah

A.I. said:
BTW Poobah/Squall 'virtual 5.1 sound mode' is the same as prologic 2.
"Virtual Surround" is the generic term for both "magic stereo to surround conversions" and for proper surround decoding from a previously-encoded stereo source. With some reasonable sound systems, it may feature the capability of being able to decode Dolby Surround (since the money wouldn't have been available to purchase Dolby's stuff), while with others, it just redirects some lower-frequency and muffled sounds to the rear speakers, which is the majority case, which is why I consider them to be quite different.

A.I.

Banned
Poobah said:
"Virtual Surround" is the generic term for both "magic stereo to surround conversions" and for proper surround decoding from a previously-encoded stereo source. With some reasonable sound systems, it may feature the capability of being able to decode Dolby Surround (since the money wouldn't have been available to purchase Dolby's stuff), while with others, it just redirects some lower-frequency and muffled sounds to the rear speakers, which is the majority case, which is why I consider them to be quite different.

There is nothing wrong with my sound card! I get crystal sound from all my speakers, no muffling whatsoever and with PD and Conkers i can distinctly hear the soundeffects coming from the rear channels. They are seperate channels. My ears do not lie. My soundcard is 5.1, capabale of DTS and Prologic 2. It may be cheap and not Dolby but it still works.

Poobah

A.I. said:
There is nothing wrong with my sound card! I get crystal sound from all my speakers, no muffling whatsoever and with PD and Conkers i can distinctly hear the soundeffects coming from the rear channels. They are seperate channels. My ears do not lie. My soundcard is 5.1, capabale of DTS and Prologic 2. It may be cheap and not Dolby but it still works.

What I actually said was that the "magic stereo to surround sound" variants of "Virtual Surround" basically guess at which sounds to redirect to the rear speakers and subwoofer. The more muffled or "atmospheric" sounds tend to be the ones chosen to be redirected to the rear speakers, because things sound a bit that way when coming from behind a person in real-life.

I never said that there was anything wrong with your sound card. In fact, it sounds like a very good sound card, considering that it supports both DTS and Dolby Pro Logic II.

A.I.

Banned
Thats cool bro! I knew you werent dissn my soundcard just had to come to its defence, thats all! :)