What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

Super Mario 64 (Project Restoration)

Dub01

Super Mario 64 (Project Restoration)Bob-omb

I'm new here and I first started messing around with Banjo Tooie, but the game uses 16 color Indexed images that really suck and there's no way around it. So I decided to give Mario a texture makeover. I know it's bone done before...a few times actually, but this one promises to be totally different!

Design Goals:

To enhance the game by remaking each texture as close as possible to the original.
I want to keep the game's original feel and at the same time implement hi res textures. Let's just call this a restoration project.

I have most of the castle and foyer complete, just need a few small items here and there.

Attachments

• SUPER MARIO 64-2.jpg
    SUPER MARIO 64-2.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 297
  • SUPER MARIO 64-3.jpg
    SUPER MARIO 64-3.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 181
  • SUPER MARIO 64-4.jpg
    SUPER MARIO 64-4.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 235
  • SUPER MARIO 64-6.jpg
    SUPER MARIO 64-6.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 174
  • SUPER MARIO 64-7.jpg
    SUPER MARIO 64-7.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 173
  • SUPER MARIO 64-8.jpg
    SUPER MARIO 64-8.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 164
  • SUPER MARIO 64-9.jpg
    SUPER MARIO 64-9.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 557
  • SUPER MARIO 64-10.jpg
    SUPER MARIO 64-10.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 131
  • SUPER MARIO 64-11.jpg
    SUPER MARIO 64-11.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 136
  • SUPER MARIO 64-12.jpg
    SUPER MARIO 64-12.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:

Martin

Administrator
I'm new here and I first started messing around with Banjo Tooie, but the game uses 16 color Indexed images that really suck and there's no way around it. So I decided to give Mario a texture makeover. I know it's bone done before...a few times actually, but this one promises to be totally different!

Design Goals:

To enhance the game by remaking each texture as close as possible to the original.
I want to keep the game's original feel and at the same time implement hi res textures. Let's just call this a restoration project.

I have most of the castle and foyer complete, just need a few small items here and there.

Awesome :) Great to see new texture projects :)

OP
Dub01

Dub01

Well thanks everyone, glad you like it. I have a small update here for you. The GUI with the exception of a few of my own icons is from stev418 SM64 Fonts Icons and Clouds set. So tell me what you think about it so far.

Attachments

• 2012-02-15_171845.jpg
    2012-02-15_171845.jpg
    916.7 KB · Views: 138
  • 2012-02-15_171910.jpg
    2012-02-15_171910.jpg
    876.2 KB · Views: 162
  • 2012-02-15_171936.jpg
    2012-02-15_171936.jpg
    839.1 KB · Views: 115
  • 2012-02-15_172009.jpg
    2012-02-15_172009.jpg
    760.3 KB · Views: 110
  • 2012-02-15_172043.jpg
    2012-02-15_172043.jpg
    790.5 KB · Views: 122

pilm

I like your textures very much - especially the ones outside and inside of Peach's Castle: they manage to be sharp without changing the feeling of the original game.

However, if you don't a bit of constructive criticism, the Bob-omb Battlefield textures are too noisy for my taste: unlike the stones of the castle, for instance (which are sharper but still look like a large grey solid color), the stone and rock textures have a lot of visual noise in them, which contrasts with the original game.

There is probably some kind of hard-to-find balance between too much cell-shading and too much realistic noise - tough job…

Anyway I really like this idea of "restoring" the game's textures. Keep going!

OP
Dub01

Dub01

I like your textures very much - especially the ones outside and inside of Peach's Castle: they manage to be sharp without changing the feeling of the original game.

However, if you don't a bit of constructive criticism, the Bob-omb Battlefield textures are too noisy for my taste: unlike the stones of the castle, for instance (which are sharper but still look like a large grey solid color), the stone and rock textures have a lot of visual noise in them, which contrasts with the original game.

There is probably some kind of hard-to-find balance between too much cell-shading and too much realistic noise - tough job…

Anyway I really like this idea of "restoring" the game's textures. Keep going!

Well I certainly do respect any constructive criticism because it will help me to make this set even better. So are there any specific textures that you think need changed on Bob-omb battlefield? I really like the cliff texture myself, but I'm always open for suggestions.

And thanks for the kind compliments!

D1n

Researcher
Hey Dub01, nice work! "Restorations" is my favorite texture projects ;)
As for constructive criticism, are the trees textured? If they are I think that their outlines should be smooth not jagged.
The jaggies was a byproduct of hardware limitations ( low rez no aa etc.) If check-out some art of the game , you will see that the trees and everything else are perfectly smooth

Keep up the good work!

OP
Dub01

Dub01

Hey Dub01, nice work! "Restorations" is my favorite texture projects ;)
As for constructive criticism, are the trees textured? If they are I think that their outlines should be smooth not jagged.
The jaggies was a byproduct of hardware limitations ( low rez no aa etc.) If check-out some art of the game , you will see that the trees and everything else are perfectly smooth

Keep up the good work!

Thank you for your interest in my project! And I haven't done any of the trees yet, those are original. I do have some ideas for them though.

UPDATE:

So anyway, after spending quite a bit of time inspecting the original textures, I re-did a lot of this map with closer matching textures. Some are still just placeholders, to get an idea of what I want to do. So here are some pics.

Attachments

• SUPER MARIO 64-4.jpg
    SUPER MARIO 64-4.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 120
  • SUPER MARIO 64-6.jpg
    SUPER MARIO 64-6.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 119
  • SUPER MARIO 64-7.jpg
    SUPER MARIO 64-7.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 104
  • SUPER MARIO 64-13.jpg
    SUPER MARIO 64-13.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 124
  • SUPER MARIO 64-3.jpg
    SUPER MARIO 64-3.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 107
  • SUPER MARIO 64-0.jpg
    SUPER MARIO 64-0.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 105
OP
Dub01

Dub01

Well I suppose that since I'm not get very many responses from this set that I will discontinue posting here. Thanks anyway for all those who did show interest.

death--droid

Dub01, it is not unusual for not many people to post here, far larger projects have had the exact same problem of having lack of posting. Don't take this as a lack of interest as there are a rather alot of people that download texture packs without making a comment about it. Keep up your work, looks like you could end up coming out with a really good result.

OP
Dub01

Dub01

Wow lol...ok. It takes me saying that I think I will not post here to get posts...strange.

D1n

Researcher
Hey Dub01, nice progress, you are really getting somewhere with this!

Note: I think it would be helpful to post before and after shots, or at least comment as to what is actually textured in the sample pics

p.s. don't be discouraged, you efforts are appreciated by more people than you know!

Hiya, how is this texture pack coming? Personally I think Mario 64 in Hi-res is amazing, I'm glad you're sticking true to the original textures though. Keep it up!

- K.R

fernan1234

As a general pointer, do not go for photorealistic textures for Mario 64. It doesn't fit the game well at all. And don't be discouraged by the lack of posts, these boards are very slow even though a lot of lurkers actually do log in and check the threads all the time.

airwide

As a general pointer, do not go for photorealistic textures for Mario 64. It doesn't fit the game well at all. And don't be discouraged by the lack of posts, these boards are very slow even though a lot of lurkers actually do log in and check the threads all the time.

Have to agree on that one. Many of the textures Ive seen seems to be aiming for the "grey reality".

This one looks much like the original with the colours poping. Great work, keep it up!