What's new

Super Mario 64 EEP Editor, part 2

heyhey

a couple months ago, i began making an editor for the eep of sm64 (stored in a .eep file by project64). it sat for a long time unfinished, until a couple days ago when i started working on it again.

old thread

anyway, it's done now.

you need at least 1024x768 resolution see all of the program
it was designed with Project64's .eep in mind. if you want to test it with your fav emu, please post the results.
if anyone has a better icon, post that too :p

enjoy

Last edited:

zAlbee

Keeper of The Iron Tail
That looks quite awesome. :) I'm going to try it as soon as I get home. BTW, you probably would have gotten more responses to your original thread if you posted in the <a href=http://www.emutalk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=30>Programming forum</a>.

zAlbee

Keeper of The Iron Tail
Damn, I was going to use that to figure out which 2 castle secret stars I was missing, but I forgot that I played it on UltraHLE. :blush: Here's my PJ64 version:

OP
H

heyhey

Guru64 - boy, i'm not sure about doing another game right away. anything in particular?
Doomulation - yes, i did it by looking at the differences in the .eep files to figure out the patterns etc
zAlbee - have you tried to open the .eep from ultrahle? (does that emu even produce a .eep? :p) also, is that picture showing what you expected?

if it's any consolation, i have 1964 on hand, and can confirm that it's compatable with that emu

soccerboi

very nice work!! How long did it take you?

If you are planning on making another, try LOZ: Ocarina of Time. That might be a bit harder though.

Quvack

OoT seems to have a CRC check on the save file, so if you edit it, the rom automatically wipes it, you'd have to figure out how to recalculate that first :)

OP
H

heyhey

from start to finish it probably took a little over a week.

Quvack, SM64 does the same thing you describe ;) it uses a checksum, not CRC. if you take all the bytes that make up the save game slot and add them up, you get the checksum. the game stores this number and verifies it when it's starting up. it's by no means an anti-cheating measure. it's more of a quick fix incase something goes wrong with saving.

i may start to dabble in OOT.. i've got some windows programs that i should be attending to though :p however, i haven't played it through since i had an actual N64.. so who knows maybe i'll get hooked.

Guru64

Can I help you with doing a LOZ:OOT EEP editor? I played through the game before and if I understood everything, we need to make two EEP files at different points in the game, compare them, edit them and see what changed.

Nin_10_Dough

This is a very well made program. My cousin and I just played through the game again a few weeks ago, and got all 120 (again)

HyperHacker

Raving Lunatic
So... any reason there's no page one of this thread? It says page 2, and no matter how often I click Page 1 or Previous Page, I see the same thing. >_<

zAlbee

Keeper of The Iron Tail
hooray, it looks like the page naming thing is <a href=http://www.emutalk.net/website-corner/28999-error-whinecube-section.html>fixed</a>! btw Trotter, your link says this thread, but points to http://www.emutalk.net/project64/1-humm-something-changed.html :)

hey heyhey, :p
UltraHLE doesn't produce .EEP files, in fact it had no native save support at all. i didn't check my game but it seems about right, thanks for asking :)

never

Awesome

thank you so much HeyHey I started one of these a few years ago but never got very far. Now I just lost my nieces saved game and was trying to get her stars back for her but i suck at playing Mario myself. I almost went mad trying to get Atop the 4 Pillars.

I searched and searched and almost gave up yesterday, but today I googled on SUPER MARIO 64.eep and this thread came up!! Wow I knew someone must have done this by now. You have saved me hours of frustration :)

Now i can put my hex editor away. BTW which editor did you use?

THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU HeyHey