What's new

starting problem

Fabaum

Somebody please help me, i downloaded the pr64 1.6, installed it and i run a rom normally, so i closed it and then i opened it again and tried to emulate the same rom, but then the pr64 closed without emulating the rom, and it keeps doing it until i uninstall it and install again, but it just works the first time i run it after installing. does somedy knowns how to solve my problem? thanks

Herashio

I've had the Project64 emulator for weeks and it has been working fine but this recently happened to me too. There are no error messages and I was wondering if it had to do with errors in the INI files because I was reading in the known issues section on the project64 website and I found this: "errors in INI files can cause crash (e.g. when refreshing browser with bad RDX) Users must take great care if editing any of these text files (RDB, RDX, CHT, LNG etc.) If there are any Syntax errors the application may crash when the files are next loaded, without any useful error msg. Errors are not created by editing through the app." I haven't tried to edit any of the text files. Is there any solution to this problem?

Last edited:

Strife Meister

Cerial Killer
Make that three. When I run Project64 for the first time, I select my language and the program works fine. But after I close it and open it again, it immediately closes after a few seconds with no error message. Even restarting the computer will not solve the problem.

I've been uninstalling and reinstalling the program constantly so I can keep using it, but it does get tedious after a while. If it helps, I am currently using a Windows XP operating system with SP-2.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
it would be useful if, rather than completely uninstalling/reinstalling it, you could isntall it, make a copy of the dir, then get it to crash, then replace the files one by one until it works so you know which file it is. OR, if its none of them, it must be a registry key, so kill the plugin keys, then the app etc.
can't really help as i cant recreate this, sorry...

Strife Meister

Cerial Killer
Because the program crashes ONLY after the first time it is closed, i'm led to believe that Project64 creates some kind of file or registry key that interferes with its ability to start up again. And, because the program works after it's uninstalled and reinstalled, the uninstall program is capable of deleting whatever's causing the problem.

Does the uninstall program make some kind of log file? If it does, would I be able to check the uninstall log for any registry entries that might be the cause of the problem? I've tried replacing most of the files like you said, but I can't find anything.

furio

DBL LGHT SBR GUARDIANS
Ok guys, have try to download & install the lates "RDB" update(from the PJ64'S official website)?

If not here, here is a direct link for it(from the PJ64'S official website):

http://www.pj64.net/main/download/func,download/id,84/chk,f09a00228daa528800837d87b3a61a2f/

Install Instructions:
1-Unzip to your Project64 install folder (root, by default "C:\Program Files\Project64 1.6\")
2-When prompted answerYes to overwrite all files.
3-Start PJ64 and press F5 to refresh the ROM Browser.

Good Luck & Have Fun!

Smiff

Emutalk Member
youve tried just deleting project64.cache (the rom browser cache?) what if you turn off the rom browser in options?

Strife Meister

Cerial Killer
I did the following:

- Downloaded and installed the latest RDB update and replaced the appropriate files
- Deleted the cache file
- Turned off the ROM browser

Yet Project64 still mysteriously closes 0.5 seconds after starting up, at which point I must uninstall and reinstall it once again.

Patlefort

I am having the same problem, a quick way I found to go around it is to go in the registry and delete the Language value in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\N64 Emulation\Project64 Version 1.6 before running pj64 everytime.

Last edited:

Strife Meister

Cerial Killer
Aha! Thank you for finding that out. :)

So, now we know that the Language value in the registry is the source of the problem. I wonder what's causing it to crash though... nevertheless, i'm just glad I don't have to uninstall and reinstall Project64 after every launch. *wipes forehead*

allen

Sorry to see you having problems

Hello Strife Master. I use pj64 1.6 under Win2k and have not seen the problem. Im not a guru or anything.
It has been suggested that maybe a Lang file is the issue. Are U using English?

It looks like a lot of users are running XP so that shouldnt be a problem.
Post and let Smiff know.

:bouncy:
Allen

Strife Meister

Cerial Killer
You can call me Strife. :)

Anyway, I am indeed using English as my language. I tried selecting English alt. and Spanish to see if they work, but they don't. Odd...