What's new

starfox 64 sound problems

yumero

the sound is perfect up until you play a level that is all range mode, then it gets really scratchy and annoying. it does that for the rest of the game too. any suggestions on plugins or settings? i've tried a number of different plugins but they didn't work quite right either.

OP
Y

yumero

windows xp, 80gig hard drive, 1gig ddr ram, 128mbs ati radeon 9700....i have a pretty good system for emulation. and checking 'sync game to audio' doesn't work.

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
Sync game to audio should work fine on PJ64 and Jabo's direct sound 1.5 (you can activate it only after you load the rom)... Anyway, try changing counter factor and turning advance block linking on/off.
If you still have problems update your sound card drivers and as a last resort lower your audio hardware acceleration.

Last edited:
OP
Y

yumero

i don't think pj64 has the counter factor option. where is the advance block linking option?

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
yumero said:
i don't think pj64 has the counter factor option. where is the advance block linking option?
From the options tab go to settings--> Options and uncheck the "hide advanced settings" checkbox. After that these options should be under the "rom settings" tab.
Before trying this I highly recommend updating your sound card drivers and see if the game works without changing these options.

BTW what sound card do you have?

Last edited:
OP
Y

yumero

changing the advance block linking doesn't do anything and neither does changing the counter factor. i don't think i need to update my drivers since this is a brand new system i got about 2 weeks ago and everything should be updated right now. and i can't find what my sound card is. i couldn't find it in system devices...what menu is it under?

rcgamer

the old guy
right click my computer then click properties ,hardware , device manager , go to sound and video game controllers and click the plus sign next to it. your card should be there.

OP
Y

yumero

there a few things that came up under that but i think i sound card is SigmaTel C-Major Audio.

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
From the control panel go to "Sound and audio devices" and to the "Audio" tab, from the "sound playback" click the "Advanced" button, from there click the "Performance" tab. And from there lower the hardware acceleration (put it right next to none).
If this doesn't work then you have to update your sound card drivers or use another audio plugin or get an other sound card.

OP
Y

yumero

okay well i've done everything....my sound drivers are updated and i've tried different plugins but they don't work. i guess i might just have to deal with it.

OP
Y

yumero

i first emu i got in this computer was 1964 but i switched because the controls on pj64 were a lot better. it wasn't quite up to par.

Jabo

Emulator Developer
There is a problem with starfox with 1.5, In the rom settings tab for PJ make sure the 'Memory Protection' is on "Protected Memory", there is no problem with RSP/Dsound you just need to change the RDB so it is correct... I'm pretty sure 1.5 shipped with this flag set incorrectly

You may need to replay the game for the changes to take effect properly, if you just change this and load a save state I'm pretty sure it won't work.. (when you load a state it's already feked up!)

This is one of the more lesser known issues.. it's very hard to recreate so it may or may not solve your problem I am not sure, I can only speak from the experience I've had with this issue

Last edited: