What's new

SSF v0.07 beta R5 is out!

spotanjo3

Thanks to NGEMU.COM

A new version of the best Saturn emulator has been released. Here's the list of changes ( translation courtesy of Moe ) :***

* There hasn't been alot of changes since the last version however here's a new one
* VDP1: Fixed the issues dealing with the frame buffer rotatory display.
* Fixed Power Drift & Capcom Collection #4 crash.
* VDP2:*modified the VDP2's surface of revolution*drawing process.*
* Fixed*multi-terminal 6 that was causing Grandia's battle screen to crash .
* STV input controls are assigned as following :
o *1P = Player1:A *
o 2P = Player2:A *
o 3P = Player1:B *
o 4P = Player1:C
* Updated from D3D8 to D3D9.

linlhutz

Just an FYI:

I updated my SSF Compatibility list to 0.07 Beta R5. USA games only:

www.segasaturn.org

I posted this on EP already but I figure I'd spam all the Saturn boards with it. :p

If you have any questions/corrections to the list please post here.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm off to NGemu.

linlhutz

Borisz

It's interesting that SSF doesnt max out dualcore cpus.

did all the 3d fighters work at fullspeed in previous versions on your computer?

linlhutz

Borisz said:
It's interesting that SSF doesnt max out dualcore cpus.

did all the 3d fighters work at fullspeed in previous versions on your computer?

Fighting Vipers, Fighters Megamix, VF2, and VF Kids run at a reduced frame rate if I just disable Auto Frame Skip. I have to cheat the FPS up by disabling some of the Hardware Graphic options (usually the backgrounds) to get them to run at full speed.

As far as previous versions, back when I last tested those games (I think Alpha R10) I only made sure they actually booted and displayed properly. But if other more CPU intense games that I played a lot back then are any indication, it doesn't seem the emulation has gotten any faster. Just more compatible.

linlhutz

Borisz

No, what I meant is, check the taskmanager while running SSF, you will see that it only uses about 60% of your CPUs. If it would max out both cores, it would run at fullspeed on my new x2 3800+.

dragomasterx2

I have tested Dark Savior and it seems that Beta R2' is the last version which works, with R3 there are some frezzes when saving and picking up special items.
In R4 and R5 the emulation stops with a black screen short after the loading screen.:(

linlhutz

dragomasterx2 said:
I have tested Dark Savior and it seems that Beta R2' is the last version which works, with R3 there are some frezzes when saving and picking up special items.
In R4 and R5 the emulation stops with a black screen short after the loading screen.:(

Curious to which version of the game you are running (USA/PAL/JPN) and what BIOS?
I can't get any version above 0.07 alpha R10 to go in-game.

linlhutz

dragomasterx2

I have tested resident evil, it tends to crash with a sh2failure at the end of cutscenes, but its still playable.

Last edited:

Borisz

Lord Darkstorm said:
New version of ssf available, look here:
http://www3.realint.com/cgi-bin/tarticles.cgi?phantasy+1486
However, since it's not appearing on the main page, and it's called R5i, my guess is that it may be a test version in which some things may have broken.
Unfortunetely, I can't read japanese, so I can't tell. : )
read here about R5' (aposthrope):
http://forums.ngemu.com/emulation-news-submissions/74022-ssf-ver0-07-beta-r5.html#post975869

dragonmaster: Resident Evil worked on my end with regular R5 without crashing. Set slaveSH2 to 100%, and disable SlaveSH2 Idle Loop. Well, the japanese version anyway.

dragomasterx2

I ll try what you mentioned about the idle loop, slaveSH2 to 100% is already activated since ssf is fast enough for me.

My version of resident evil is us-ntsc.

dragomasterx2

Seems that unchecking the SlaveSH2 Idle Loop fixed it, can you tell me what this option does?
Is it better to leave it always unchecked?
Perhaps you should mention this @ the compatibility list?

P.s. I can now play Dark Savior even with R5' when I transfer and the savegames from R2' and load load them in R5'.

Last edited:

Borisz

dragomasterx2 said:
Seems that unchecking the SlaveSH2 Idle Loop fixed it, can you tell me what this option does?
Is it better to leave it always unchecked?
Perhaps you should mention this @ the compatibility list?

P.s. I can now play Dark Savior even with R5' when I transfer and the savegames from R2' and load load them in R5'.
http://evilboris.sonic-cult.net/SSF/satcomp.txt
Code:
Biohazard (J)
 - SSF 0.07 beta R4
   disable "Check SlaveSH2 Idle Loop" and set the SlaveSH2 speed to 100 (%).
   after that, it works fine.
It's mentioned. As I said, for the japanese version.

The second SH2 chip in the Saturn (the Slave SH2) is rarely used because it's on the same bus as the main cpu, you need to be a really good programmer to get performance out of it. Because of this, a lot of games barely use the second SH2, if they use it at all.

If the SlaveSH2 Idle Loop option is checked, the emulator will "skip" the processing of the secondary SH2 chip when it's staying idle (unused), thereby speeding up the emulation a little. However this idle detection is obviously not perfect and causes bugs in some games such as Biohazard / Resident Evil.

dragomasterx2

Golden Axe The Duel (E)

- SSF 0.07 beta R5'
returns to BIOS after boot.

This game works, when the controller is set to Multi Terminal 6

Last edited: