What's new

spyware

Jinxxd

Tinkerbell goth fairy
hey erm, not sure if this is in the right place (or if i even have the right site 4 askin this!), but..........................

how the hell do i get this feckin stuff off my comp?

and WHERE the hell did it come from in the 1st place!?!

JinXD

Spyware comes from poor administration of your system. I'm sure google will help you find an appropriate application to remove most of it......

OP
Jinxxd

Jinxxd

Tinkerbell goth fairy
cheers guys, i think someone at my uni's IT department mentioned that spybot thingy (v computer minded aas you can tell!) but wanted to double check as they hav messed up more than a few of my fellow stuuuudent comps since i got here.

They give ppl stupid firewalls then mess up thge rest of their comps :rolleyes:

smcd

Then there's http://www.lavasoftusa.com/ as well, its free (personal edition) or you can buy it. Though I got hit with some crap the other day that used a MS Help exploit (one of the recent ones) to take over my about:blank - spybot, adaware, and MS AntiSpyware all failed to detect it, and even after resetting my defaults using MS AntiSpyware and deleting the DLLs (all the ones i could find)... the thing kept coming back! I had to use ghost to restore a previous good point. Sucked severely, but getting a $20 copy of Norton Utilities 2003 was a decent investment for Ghost... much better than XP's "system restore" - just make a backup image once a week or so.

OP
Jinxxd

Jinxxd

Tinkerbell goth fairy
erm i used spybot and started up my comp in safe mode and was able to get rid without it duplicating everytime i deleted it. well when i say 'i' i was stood behind the person doing it watching!

OP
Jinxxd

Jinxxd

Tinkerbell goth fairy
erm i used spybot and started up my comp in safe mode and was able to get rid without it duplicating everytime i deleted it. well when i say 'i' i was stood behind the person doing it watching!

Eagle

aka Alshain
Spybot is good, Firefox prevents a lot (but not all) of the spyware by itself. Most spyware is designed to penetrate the exremely flawed Internet Explorer.

OP
Jinxxd

Jinxxd

Tinkerbell goth fairy
Eagle said:
Spybot is good, Firefox prevents a lot (but not all) of the spyware by itself. Most spyware is designed to penetrate the exremely flawed Internet Explorer.

yeah mine was in iexplore, tiz sorted now n spybot is on my comp 4 good now!