What's new

Speed issues

EGEditor

EGE Online Webmaster
I just downloaded 1964, transfered all my plugins from PJ64 and got it working. Now saving works flawless (which was a problem i had for UltraHTE) Now however the only game that plays fine is Mario64, it saves fine and is faster on 1964 than was on any other EMU i tried. But every other game i have has some sort of visual or speed problem. I of course am using an older computer now. But when it does a wonderful job playing 1 game, seems to me that most should work. My pc specs are down below, any ideas how suggestions to increase speed and fix visual problems would be appricated.

dukenukem

lord freiza
since you pc is almost the same as me you should understand that most n64 roms will be slow because of your low end system and the glitches are happening with which plugin?You can try gln64 or glide64.

OP
E

EGEditor

EGE Online Webmaster
dukenukem said:
since you pc is almost the same as me you should understand that most n64 roms will be slow because of your low end system and the glitches are happening with which plugin?You can try gln64 or glide64.

Ya, i am also a certified computer tech, so i know how far this machine has been left behind. However it performs very well on many other things, especially playing Need For Speed 3 and Unreal Tournament. Also i use Glide64, but will look for gln64 see if that helps me any.

schibo

Emulator Developer
EGEditor said:
Ya, i am also a certified computer tech, so i know how far this machine has been left behind. However it performs very well on many other things, especially playing Need For Speed 3 and Unreal Tournament. Also i use Glide64, but will look for gln64 see if that helps me any.

One of the most challenging things in certain types of emulation is to make things fast. I for one have learned the hard way that this process can take years, because, after all, most of us have designed our compilers from scratch.

Beyond this, some games may be slower than others for many reasons--to keep it really short, here's 2--some games are easier to get more accurate timing, while other games exploit more instructions of the MIPS r4300i processor (a chip inside the N64) which are more challenging to optimize.

It is a fallacy to believe that whatever "has been achieved" is all that "can be achieved". Anyone who tells you your system "is too slow for n64 emulation" needs to stop and think about what they're saying. I say, :puke:. A better way to put it is to say that the current version of the emulation software will be slow on your system.

Last edited: