What's new

SP DMA READ error re-emerges

jasonvh

Hi all,

I'm going to re-hash an old problem with DK64 that surfaced on here about a year ago. There didn't seem to be any solid resolution to the problem, and I've begun to experience it myself, so I'll pose the problem again and hopefully evoke some
new responses from you all. (Something other than shut up and go to hell would be great!)

On Sept 6 2002, a young Hungarian calling himself Shooter wrote:

"This is the second time when I had to start playing DK again from the start because after many-many saving PJ64 gets bored and sends a message: "SP DMA READ: could not fit copy in memory segement". This cute error means that my save state becomes unusable and I can't go on. I use Win98SE and PJ1.5 . (Don't tell me I should have used WinXP!). What is important is that this error occurs only with DK64. But why???"

Yeah, why, indeed! I'm really getting into the game, just about to finish Gloomy Galleon when up pops the same message for me. Frustrating! I did find that by setting Options > Configure RSP Plugin... > send Audio Lists to Audio Plugin
that I am still able to play the game, but the sound comes out garbled. (An annoying rapid beep). Sure I could just play with the sound down, I suppose, but some sounds are important to the game (such as hearing the banana fairies). So any further help would be appreciated.

(Another note: I am able to get relatively good sound if I use the
"Azimer's Audio v0.30 (Old Driver)" plugin with "send Audio Lists to Audio Plugin" checked, but I still can't load my saved game, as it just crashes.)

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
I seen that error occur before because of insufficient
self modifying code handling method with Cruisn' USA, but
when testing it with Project64 1.0 and 1.1.

Make sure the self modifying code handling is set to:

Protect Memory.

Most Rare games require Protect Memory.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
A note on that option.
Checking that means you're using a HLE soundplugin like a azimer's. Otherwise you don't get any sound at all.
Disabling it means you're using a LLE soundplugin like jabo's. Ticking it will cause horrible sound.

OP
J

jasonvh

There are two sections where one can change the self-modifying code to Protect Memory. I tried one, I tried the other, I tried both. To no avail. Still doesn't work. I still can't play my saved game with proper sound.
The strangest part is, up until this point in the game, everything has been fine. I'm thinking maybe something with the save-state file itself has been corrupted...?

(I tried converting it to a 1964 state and playing it with 1964, but it won't load at all.)

RJARRRPCGP said:
I seen that error occur before because of insufficient
self modifying code handling method with Cruisn' USA, but
when testing it with Project64 1.0 and 1.1.

Make sure the self modifying code handling is set to:

Protect Memory.

Most Rare games require Protect Memory.

OP
J

jasonvh

Doomulation said:
Use native saves then :baaa:
HINT: Real saves, found in /saves folder. Use those with 1964.

In-game saves won't work for me with DK64; neither using PJ64 nor 1964. I don't know why that is. They work fine with the Banjo games.
If I could just get the in-game save to work, then re-start PJ64, and start a "new" game with the in-game save, I bet the sound would start working again.
It's got to have something to do with the state save file becomming corrupted.

ps: has anyone actually finished the whole game of DK64 (using PJ64, state saves) and NOT had this error?

OP
J

jasonvh

jasonvh said:
In-game saves won't work for me with DK64; neither using PJ64 nor 1964. I don't know why that is. They work fine with the Banjo games.
If I could just get the in-game save to work, then re-start PJ64, and start a "new" game with the in-game save, I bet the sound would start working again.
It's got to have something to do with the state save file becomming corrupted.

At long last I think I've solved this problem. Somehow by playing around with the cheats, I was able to make an in-game save which actually wrote to the .eep and stayed! I don't exactly know how yet, I'm still trying to recreate exactly what I did. And once I do, I'll post the definative solution to be archived here for future generations! :)

I'm posting from work right now so I haven't had time to go back and re-test this yet. All I know is it worked for me last night just before beddy-bye time. The general idea of it is to start by loading your audio-challenged save state (with "send Audio Lists to Audio Plugin" checked) and then go into System and start checking off a bunch of cheats that you want to apply (hit F9 to apply). Then pause the game, choose Save from the pause menu, and then quit the game. It should be at this point that it saves the .eep. Now you should be able to re-start the emulator (with Audio Lists/Audio Plugin un-checked) and start playing from your in-game save file, with normal audio!

OP
J

jasonvh

Doomulation said:
Makes no sense.
The only thing that affects the native saves are the save-type.

I know, I don't really get why it worked but it did. The save-type remains set at 16k eeprom, I didn't touch that.

ALOliveira

Hey, I have the same problem. Any solution?

Hi, jasonvh,

I'm trying to finish DK64 with PJ64 and 1964. I'm having the same problems you mentioned. I'm playing Creepy Castle and until here everything was fine, but now I notice that in save games don't work and suddenly the sound becomes very bad. The same problems you described before.

Any solutions?

Thanks. Wait for an answer.

ALOliveira

CooLa said:
Same prob here, it is about the rom, try making dump for urself... (Like me)...

Sorry about my bad English, but wat do you mean when you say "make dump".

Could you please detail this a litle more?

Thanks

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
He's refering to dump the original game to your pc. But that's stuff we won't say how to do. Search google if you need to do it.

hummus27

Hello and sorry for bumping, but I felt this thread had some info in it and as such might be better for solving the issue. I'm at fungi forest and i am getting the "SP DMA READ: could not fit copy in memory segment" after about 10-30 seconds of playing. I have been using 16kb eeprom state saves with Project64 1.6, I tried my luck by getting 1.7 but the error persists. Is there any way to solve this? Maybe somehow making a native save from my state save.

I would really appreciate some help on this!

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
Did you check your rom with good tools or no-intro dat?
The thread suggested that it's most probably a problem with the rom, so this would be a great idea.
If you legally own PJ 1.7 you could also check the beta board and ask there aswell.
Btw:
BUMP.jpg

xD

hummus27

MasterPhW: Yes i have checked that it's a good ROM, with the goodN64 tool or whatever it's called, I used some tutorial I found here on the forum. It seems that a great deal of people have experienced this problem. :(

P

Pokemaniacs

MasterPhW: Yes i have checked that it's a good ROM, with the goodN64 tool or whatever it's called, I used some tutorial I found here on the forum. It seems that a great deal of people have experienced this problem. :(

I have the same problem with In-Fisherman when it goes in-game and I think it is the RSP plugin causing it. I use 1964Audio and uncheck RSP on 1964 and it works without the error.

I don't think 1964Audio will work on PJ64 but you can try another sound plugin without using RSP for the game.