What's new

Sound problems

pazuzu

I installed Mupen64 in my Linux and opened up Zelda Ocarina Of Time Master Quest

It looks like a very great emulator!

However, in many parts, the sound quality is very bad, especially the music. First the sound is good, then when at the start of the game the cutscene with the bridge and the horse appears, the sound gets really bad (it "shakes"), then it's fine again, but then when Link goes outside of his house for the first time, the music is very bad again. The graphics don't shake at all and go very fluent, only the sound is bad.

Here's my specs:

AthlonXP 1700+
512MB RAM
Geforce 3 with 64MB RAM
Sound Blaster Live 1024
Archlinux
Newest NVidia drivers (legacy!)

I tried two sound plugins (the standard one and GAP) and it did exactly the same with both of them, and exactly at the same moments.

Is there a way to fix this, or is it a known bug?

There's also another problem: when I pressed the pause button of Mupen64, the program hung. It responded to nothing at all anymore, and I had to close it with xkill. The same happened when I tried to load a saved state, it didn't respond to anything anymore (so I can't load saved states).

Any help?

Thanks!

P.S. I also found a very small typo: it's OpenGL and not OpengL (as in the screenshot)

Last edited:

ciruZ

Try JttL's sound plugin, works for me without any problems. The other plugins often have problems.

juwb

State of Linux plugins is not that well... try experimenting around. For me, glN64 plus JttLs plugin worked best in Zelda, except for a couple of glitches here and there.

ciruZ

That's because Glide simply works better with Zelda OoT.
With glN64, I have lot's of GFX bugs: 4 moons or 4 suns instead of one, no link in the ingame menu and a few other bugs.
That's why I recommend it for Zelda OoT, and only for Zelda OoT, because for example in Mario Kart it sucks a lot, it doesn't work anymore as soon as there is more than 1 player.

Last edited:

ciruZ

Hm, OoP? I meant OoT instead. Maybe I programmed too much OOP :). Hm, that's what happens if I post when I'm too tired.