What's new

Sound Card driver errors

A.I.

Banned
I recently had a new video card/motherboard/RAM installed and now my computer is crashing continuously. I was getting sound driver error reports so I re-installed the drivers correctly (I think) and the error reports disappeared but my computer continued to freeze/crash. I checked the hardware wizard but it found no problems.

So I downloaded the latest sound drivers from Genius (They were just a bunch of DLLs which I didn't know what to do with and I also downloaded the latest Driver X9) but my computer is still crashing. I've had this problem before but not as frequently.

Short of getting a new soundcard (Cant afford it yet) what can I do? Is there a free diagnostic tool out there, like PC Doctor Oncall, that can fix the problem?

Borisz

Not always though. It usually depends on the chipset. I could upgrade mobos which both used VIA chipsets without reinstalling windows. Upgrading from VIA chipset to nForce4 needed a windows reinstall though.

WhiteX

from a 32 bit to a 64 bit, from a single threaded to a multi threaded, there´s a whole bunch of situations, backup and format, my friend.

OP
A.I.

A.I.

Banned
I had to take my computer back, it was crashing at a ridiculous rate. I estimate I had to restart the damn thing about 50 times in the space of two days!

Consquentally, they had to replace the motherboard again! They also removed my old 256 RAM, installed Spybot and removed a shit load of spyware and now my computer (touch wood) is working fine, though it seemed to take a little longer to load up than it normally does.

You should have seen the Salesperson's face, he wasn't happy! Well stuff him! I paid enough as it is for the video card/RAM/motherboard and they should have done their job and tested it properly in the first place. It would have saved myself a lot of time and trouble and saved themselves the extra exspense.

Borisz

from a 32 bit to a 64 bit, from a single threaded to a multi threaded, there´s a whole bunch of situations, backup and format, my friend.

Most 64bit cpus have a 32bit compatibility mode (so the OS wouldnt even notice a thing), and going from single core to dual core will not require a reinstall either...

And this guy seems a very computer illiterate person so telling him to reinstall windows wont do any good.

WhiteX

Dude, that´s the experience that i have working with computer day by day, you have an AthlonXp if you change it for an Athlon64, WinXP will crash, same as a P4 HT.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Just a note...
Goto system (Right click my computer and select properties), goto the Advanced tab. Select the Settings button under "Start and something" (Isn't it a pain to translate all these text into english? Why can't we all use english OSes?).
Untick "Reboot automatically" and just OK out of there.

The biggest problem with XP is that it automatically restarts when you get a BSOD UNLESS you deactivate that setting. BSODs can contain valuable information.

OP
A.I.

A.I.

Banned
I have been to hell and back. 2 weeks ago I returned my computer no less than 6 times. Each time I was offered a different theory and yet I was still no further in getting the problem fixed.

I been getting IRQL driver errors which one Saleperson thought could be due to a hardware problem related to my soundcard. Everytime I use an application such as WMP, Power DVD and PJ64 (Though sometimes for no reason at all) I have been getting these blue screen IRQL errors or my computer has frozen or crashed.

He thought moving the sound card to a another PCI port would resolve the situation. The other salesman, however, was more dubious and thought it was either a software error or more likely just my imagination as he so cooly insinuated. When I finally demonstrated the error (To my glee) they finally agreed that there was something (Really!) wrong with it and sent me on a merry 45 min trip to their tech guy (Courier guy was on holidays).

The tech guy could find no hardware faults and came to the same conclusion that Windows XP was corrupted. Indeed, for a long time, my computer had been operating like a donkey ridden by a donkey - totally f**cked up. Though I initially thought it was because of low RAM.

Anyway, the tech guy set up a new BIOS and kept my old one in case I had to go back fo some reason! Imagination my anger when I started it up and proceeded to install my programs when it suddenly crashed. After a few phone calls to the tech guy I finally isloated the problem (I think), my external hardrive. For some reason it is not recognized when plugged into some of the USB ports. When plugged in these suspect ports the computer refuses to reboot. I have to yank it out for windows to restart.

Which brings me to this question. If it's not a software problem or XP isn't corrupted is it a hardware problem? Or is my external Maxtor 3100 Personal Storage hard drive faulty? Or the fact this problem happens alot when I change my WMP tracks quickly or exit fast from applications using Maxtor's drive means it's too slow and that is why it's crashing? If so would a high speed USB hub speed up connection and fix the problem of crashing/freezing?

The fact that the guy reinstalled windows suggests it isn't a software problem but if it isn't a hardware or driver issue (Nothing shows up in dxdiag, apart from the maxtor device not connecting in some of the usb ports) then what the hell is it?

Fricken Gremlins?

axcc123

Hungry For Answers
Maxtor 3100 Personal Storage hard drive driver issue because that hd is usb 1.1 and 2.0 compatable. check that manufactors site for the lastest drivers and utilities