What's new

Something about the Gameshark bits..

MonolithTyriss

Well, I've decided to go back to 0.7.3 And then I found I have a problem I did on 0.8.3.. I really think -this- particular one is my fault somewhere, so I'm asking you guys. The cheats dialog. So far, every game I've tried, from Mario 64 to Zelda 64, won't work. The game plays fine. But no matter how many or how few cheats you check and 'Activate' (has a little asterisk by it, other than the ones listed as part of the cheat's name, I suppose that's all you need?), the game refuses to recognize -any-. And so far the only ones I've been using are the ones that come with the emu, the ones that supposedly should be for the version/country of the game I'm currently playing (yes, all my roms have been checked by Goodn64.. no problems found). Does anyone know of any usual trip-up spots that people run into trying to get the cheats to run? Give me an idea if I missed something somewhere? Any help would be appriciated, thank you for your time.

Gent

The Soul Reaving Gentleman
Administrator
Did you visit the site & read how to Use Cheats ?

Did you read the CheatsFAQ that also tells you to go to the Site, to learn how to use the cheats ?

OP
MonolithTyriss

MonolithTyriss

Yep, tried all that. Auto-run cheats is on, cheats are for proper region of game, game started and cheats then turned on, reset game, an still no effect. I've run enough games this way I'm starting to think I'm missing a setting or the cheat window doesn't have a proper button to let this stuff work. :p

Gent

The Soul Reaving Gentleman
Administrator
Ok so you say on both 0.8.3 & 0.7.3 you have the same prob :plain:

Well the 0.7.3 i can understand !

But for 0.8.3 It works a dream.

Be more Specific here, Zelda !

Zelda what, 1964 only Supports 1 version of a game IE: v1.0

That is something we are looking at to change.

What version of Zelda are you using ?

OP
MonolithTyriss

MonolithTyriss

I'm trying everything I can do to truly figure that out. Do you have any idea how I can tell? I have Zelda, but didn't have a device for dumping, so I got the rom somewhere else.. but that also means I have a 16meg text file to try and load just to see if I can dig up the number in the file. Already tried SynEdit.. crashed that program trying to load it. And when GoodN64 renamed my roms, it did a proper job on everything -but- Zelda.. which was renamed to simply Zelda.v64. I think it's V1.0, but I'm not sure without some proper way of knowing. :p

OP
MonolithTyriss

MonolithTyriss

Innnnnnterresting...

Okay, this may shed some light onto why the cheats don't work in Zelda.. now, why every -other- game I have won't function either that's beyond me. Did exactly what that page said, to the letter. Used the dirs option. After digging through the directories, I found out something, It found my US roms, my one Pal rom, my 2 hacked roms, etc.. but Zelda, it didn't touch! However, an earlier time I'd used the command line version of GoodN64 did not say it was a bad rom.. what gives? As far as this means, it's a copy of zelda that's not hacked, trained, unlicensed, a bad dump, a fixed dump, or a known region! ???

OP
MonolithTyriss

MonolithTyriss

Oh, and I should have mentioned.. the emulators, even 1964, can pick up it is the US type of the Legend of Zelda, and the rom name an CRCs check out okay. Plus as far as I can tell, it does play okay, just that no emulator I'd come across could actually play the first boss in the Deku tree. Otherwise, it's fine. So I don't think it's a bad dump causing the problem. Junk in the header.. possibly.

OP
MonolithTyriss

MonolithTyriss

Sorry for the post-list :p

Okay, I just checked some logs. Said it was Zelda US V 1.0.. but then GoodN64 made this spew in the log about the header:
Imagename: [THE LEGEND OF ZELDA ] Cnty: USA Ver: 1.0 ID: ZL
Hdr: f46c65cc Boot: 98bc2c86 Hdrchk: ec7011b7:7616d72b
00000000: 299b9a24 [ 6c08496e 05bfd58c 10c4ab69 9343f160 ] An then those last two lines repeat with different numbers for about another 10 lines or so. :p

flow``

flow``
what format are your roms in?

please just change the extension to:

.v64 or .z64

then try again.. maybe you have some messed up extention and goodn64 excludes those as being actual roms.

and you dont need to use the scan command.. (how you got all that crap you just posted)

if you want to do it the manual way we will

put all your roms back in one folder
with goodn64 and its included files
along with the zlib.dll in the goodn64 folder

right click on goodn64.exe->send to->desktop

right click on the shortcut on your desktop and go to properties

then modify your command line to

"Goodn64.exe dirs rename" (no "'s)

then run the shortcut