What's new

So who here is lookin to buy a GP2X?

minkster

Man that handheld looks sweet with its duel processors and capabilities...I am definately thinking of getting one:p I've heard that it can most likely emulate SNES, Genisis, NES, and other classic consoles at full speed! Not to mention it plays movies too. I heard liksang is selling them for 179.90, but I'm not too sure about shipping and handeling. So who else is planning on buying one of these? Post your thoughts about it here.

Emu&Co

Fuggin Retro Fan
ME! ME! ME! lol
I'm one of the happy preorderers who will get one before official release. A MUST for everyone who liked the GP32.

BTW I would check the shops gbax.com and gp2x.de, too.

OP
minkster

minkster

Nice :) When will it be officially released...I tried looking on websites but I can't find out when. I hope you enjoy it like the original GP32:D I've never owned either one so it will definately be a new experience.

Emu&Co

Fuggin Retro Fan
Official Release will be in Q1 2006. People like me who'll get one around this week preordered and will have a still very buggy Firmware on it. But the Hardware is great. Btw, alternative NON-Linux Firmware is in development. This FW will use Hardware directly. So it'll be faster (more free ram, no use of drivers) AAAAND it will be possible to clock both CPUs at 266 MHz. 2*266 MHz = 532 MHz

OP
minkster

minkster

Emu&Co said:
Official Release will be in Q1 2006. People like me who'll get one around this week preordered and will have a still very buggy Firmware on it. But the Hardware is great. Btw, alternative NON-Linux Firmware is in development. This FW will use Hardware directly. So it'll be faster (more free ram, no use of drivers) AAAAND it will be possible to clock both CPUs at 266 MHz. 2*266 MHz = 532 MHz
Hmmm...very interesting... so if I preordered one now, I would get it earlier than the official release date? And the hardware isn't buggy, just the firmware...so it would basically be the same as the official kind, but without a more stable version of firmware...if that is so, then it sounds reasonable to preorder one. Sorry if this sounds noobish, but what does Q1 mean (for the official release date)-Thanks minkster

Emu&Co

Fuggin Retro Fan
First I have to add to my post that Gamepark Holdings will further develop their Linux Based FW and skilled coders from the community will code the HH-Firmware (HH=Hardcore Homebrew). Both can be added simultaneously and be selected by a Boot Loader.

"This doesn't mean what you think it does"

I don't understand :plain:, using the full potential of the dual cores can be a hard job for the coders if thats what you meant.

minkster, if you REALLY want one, then buy one, but don't do the same mistake some guys in official forum did: "Is buggy" blah "want to send it back" blah blah. The bugs WILL be fixed. Those guys should stop fuckin around. They knew what they would get and you should know, too.

Last edited:
OP
minkster

minkster

Emu&Co said:
minkster, if you REALLY want one, then buy one, but don't do the same mistake some guys in official forum did: "Is buggy" blah "want to send it back" blah blah. The bugs WILL be fixed. Those guys should stop fuckin around. They knew what they would get and you should know, too.

Don't worry, there is no way I'd complain about it:p I know there would be firmware upgrades and such, all I was saying is if the hardware is somewhat in their beta stages (as in not as stable) then I would hold off on buying one. If it is just the firmware, then I would buy one nonetheless.