What's new

Slowdown since defrag

Peveus

PJ64 was working fine, staying at 59/60 fps the whole time until I defragged yesterday. Now it slows down by up to 20fps when NPCs are on the screen (enemies in Zelda etc.)!

Why??? And more importantly, how can I fix this!

Thanks

RJA

The PC Wiz
Re:

That is unusual??

It may be caused by a virtual memory problem.

Sometimes, Windows may get confused (not confirmed)
when Windows has to write a pagefile to a different location on
the disk.

If you can, defragment the virtual memory.

Try recreating the pagefile.

ra5555

N64 Newbie
specs would help a bit too... try to defrage again and reset your page file... if all else falls... format and reinstall windows xp

OP
P

Peveus

lol Assumptions. My computer is crap!

Duron 850mhz, 128MB RAM, GeForce 2 MX 200 and Windows 98!

Needless to say, I have NEVER had any problems running my roms before. It all started just after defragging. As for... page files? I have no idea what that is or how to reinstall it.....

If you could explain I'll have go as long as it aint dangerous.

oDD

/me odd
Peveus, in Windows 98 the page file is actually called the swap file. What it does is kind of provide you with extra RAM by using some harddrive space to offload chunks of RAM that arent being used very often, when other programs need to load themselves into memory. An idea would be to make this a static size. Make it fairly large (600+MB) and this will eliminate it having to grow when your computer fills the swap file and your RAM up. You will notice your HDD thrashing a lot less once you do this, especially in some 3d games.

You can find out how to do that here:
http://www.windowsgalore.com/windows.98/perform.html

Another idea might be to defrag your swapfile and you can find out how to do that here:
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/win98/n1015597683

Good luck ;)

RJA

The PC Wiz
Yeah, right!!!

I did not start having those stupid infinite loop crashes and
crackly audio in older games until I began using Windows XP:(

Also, I have to swap video cards to get though Windows XP
installation, and it's no joke!!! Damn M$!!! My GeForce is *NOT*
faulty, Windows XP has that bug, and I *MUST* put in my
Voodoo 3 to get Windows XP to install and put back in my GeForce after!!!:angry:

oDD

/me odd
Re: Yeah, right!!!

RJA said:
I did not start having those stupid infinite loop crashes and
crackly audio in older games until I began using Windows XP:(

Also, I have to swap video cards to get though Windows XP
installation, and it's no joke!!! Damn M$!!! My GeForce is *NOT*
faulty, Windows XP has that bug, and I *MUST* put in my
Voodoo 3 to get Windows XP to install and put back in my GeForce after!!!:angry:

Funily enough I've had all the problems youve had but they all can be fixed.

- To fix the infinite loop crashes upgrade your motherboard chipset drivers. eg. VIA 4in1. or to the latest nvidia drivers.

Crackly audio. What sound card do u have? A Aureal Vortex 2? www.vortexofsound.com has fixes for that, the simplest is making sure Sound Hardware acceleration is on full. Sound blaster Lives and others I've heard have similar problems and i'm sure there are fixes for them somewhere.

The reason your GeForce doesnt get through WinXP setup is because of the bios version. XP setup works with 'most' Geforce bios versions but doesnt boot with some. Flash your cards bios to the latest version or to a known working version. (search on google).

WinXP really is the greatest OS, its just that youve hit probably most of the known problems :p

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
Re: Re: Yeah, right!!!

oDD said:
Funily enough I've had all the problems youve had but they all can be fixed.

- To fix the infinite loop crashes upgrade your motherboard chipset drivers. eg. VIA 4in1. or to the latest nvidia drivers.

Crackly audio. What sound card do u have? A Aureal Vortex 2? www.vortexofsound.com has fixes for that, the simplest is making sure Sound Hardware acceleration is on full. Sound blaster Lives and others I've heard have similar problems and i'm sure there are fixes for them somewhere.

The reason your GeForce doesnt get through WinXP setup is because of the bios version. XP setup works with 'most' Geforce bios versions but doesnt boot with some. Flash your cards bios to the latest version or to a known working version. (search on google).

WinXP really is the greatest OS, its just that youve hit probably most of the known problems :p

Actually, vortex and sb live problems are due to the specific via chipset. My chipset was on the list, but "George's PCI Latency Patch" remedied it. :)

oDD

/me odd
Re: Re: Re: Yeah, right!!!

cooliscool said:
Actually, vortex and sb live problems are due to the specific via chipset. My chipset was on the list, but "George's PCI Latency Patch" remedied it. :)

yep thats why i referred him to vortex of sound ;)

co_p3rth

Emu Lover
yea most ppl says Winxp had some prob with Nvidia GF

but lucky, mine is fine tho, might be that bios stuff :happy:

but as been told, i think pj64 had better performance in winxp
mine also had much much better with fps and audio since i switch my OS from win98 to win xp :)
u should give it a shot :colgate:

Davemc

Dave
i can't install windows XP , and i have a GeForce 2, can someone help? I searched google, but i am a retard and couldn't find what i wanted

RJA

The PC Wiz
oDD,

Unfortunately, not always will the latest Via chipset drivers and Detonator drivers make the infinite loop crashes go away.

I have been seeing it linked to motherboard voltage regulation
on the 3.3v line being flawed and in some cases, the power supply, according to some of the web sites

...and, http://forums.viaarena.com *don't* help much!

They, (some of the)(ViaArena) people are trying to say I may have a faulty video card.

Last edited: