What's new

Slow on a GeForce 2?

Archel

Hi guys, I just got into emulating the dreamcast and I wanted some advice from people who have done it for a long time.

Im trying to play Marvel vs Capcom 2 with Chankast Alpha 25.
My PC is 1 GB of RAM,
has a GeForce 2 with the lastest driver,
my screen resolution is 1024x768,
my screen refresh rate is 85 Hertz,
antialiasing is set to 2x and can be to 4x or none,
anisotropic filtering is set to none,
I run the game with the capcom hack,
I set priority to Above normal,
I've ran the game both full screen and at different resolutions

and still I get choppy gameplay, slow motioned all of the time and never plays at the speed that it plays on the console. The sound works fine but sometimes it skips sound fx for certain moves. I've tried using '-' and '+' to underclock and overclock but I have gotten no results.

Can someone give me advice on how I can obtain maximum perfomance so it plays like the dreamcast? Is it even possible with my computer.

thanks.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Many Dreamcast games don't run full speed on Chankast or have dodgy framerates. Most 2D games run full speed, but expecially in some fighting games the framerates can drop when there's lots of effects on screen, even on a relatively powerful system.

GeForce 2 is pretty low-end card, so I wouldn't be surprised if you have problems with it.

OP
A

Archel

Agozer said:
Many Dreamcast games don't run full speed on Chankast or have dodgy framerates. Most 2D games run full speed, but expecially in some fighting games the framerates can drop when there's lots of effects on screen, even on a relatively powerful system.

GeForce 2 is pretty low-end card, so I wouldn't be surprised if you have problems with it.

do you have any suggestions regarding the resolution, antialiasing, refresh rate and such?

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
And run the emulator on 640x480 fullscreen resolution. A GeForce 2 should be enough for Chankast.

OP
A

Archel

PsyMan said:
And run the emulator on 640x480 fullscreen resolution. A GeForce 2 should be enough for Chankast.

Does it help if I change my refresh rate?
How about if I change the video cards resolution?

Trotterwatch

Archel said:

Why not try it? :) Those changes take only seconds to check. I wouldn't have thought it would make much difference though.

Agozer

Archel said:
No.
Video card's resolution? The resolution that Chankast uses is the current resolution of the video card... If you play in fullscreen that is. Chankast uses the selected resolution regardless of whether it runs windowed or not. Windows' own resolution doesn't matter. The only resolution that matters is the resolution that Chankast uses.

Last edited:
OP
A

Archel

Agozer said:
No.
Video card's resolution? The resolution that Chankast uses is the current resolution of the video card... If you play in fullscreen that is. Chankast uses the selected resolution regardless of whether it runs windowed or not. Windows' own resolution doesn't matter. The only resolution that matters is the resolution that Chankast uses.

ok, so how about the refresh rate?

Agozer

Archel said:
ok, so how about the refresh rate?
I already answered that with the first "No". :)

Well actually, changing the resresh rate of your monitor to match the game's native refresh reate only fixes thing such as "tearing" that occurs in certain games when the screen scrolls from left ot right or from the top to bottom (or vice versa). It doesn't make the game run any faster the game if it's running slower than the intended fps.

Last edited:

Agozer

I don't know it's exact meaning, but it does fix many sprite errors, sprite priority errors and layer errors in many games.