What's new

simply speed (with sound)

fearpi

for running majora's mask, can anyone think of anything to improve my game speed (while still using sound)? and please don't tell me it's not possible to run roms like this on my system. i just the other day completed Oracle of Time, which is playable in most places in the game. My system configuration is below my signature, and my current emulator configuration is as follows:

Emulator: 1964 0.8.5
Video: Glide64 0.42 (With eVoodoo 3.99)
Audio: Azimer's Audio v0.30 (Old driver)
Other: Using NeTo's HiP (btw, nice work on that, NeTo. thanks for being the only other person in the world to do something useful with Visual Basic :) )

Will any of the more advanced functions help improve my emulation speed? Things like "CPU core style" as recompiler or interpreter, i'm not too sure about. Every little thing will help.

Also, regarding the operating system, what changes can i make to increase performance? for example, are there any services commonly loaded on startup that i could deactivate to increase speed? and is linux or something besides linux going to increase performance?

Clements

Try using Jabo's latest plugin, should be faster than Glide with a GeForce.

If the framebuffer is slowing it down far too much (Glide does not emulate the framebuffer at the moment so that might be why you use it now) then you can try turning it off. (Disable 'Self-Rendered Textures' in the advanced settings in the graphics plugin). It will look the same/better as Glide does for you now, but without needing a wrapper, it should be faster.

OP
fearpi

fearpi

originally i thought using a non-glide plugin would be faster, because it doesn't require a wrapper. but for some reason, it is faster. using glide 0.42 and evoodoo 3.99, i get much higher framerates than i do with any other plugin.

and nemu is a fast emulator. but it saves majora's mask save files to sram, while the existing savefile i have is flash. anyone know a way to covert?

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
I'd go for the glide release to be soon :D
It even emulates the motion blur in zelda (but low res unfortunaly) and lots of ohter framebuffer effects! Plus, it is just about equal or faster to jabo's. Shouldn't matter much, really.

OP
fearpi

fearpi

easy for you to say, having overclocked your processor to 1.75 ghz and with your geforce 4 :p

Doomulation

fearpi said:
easy for you to say, having overclocked your processor to 1.75 ghz and with your geforce 4 :p
Ah yeah, but I downclocked it again due to instability. But still, glide64 + eVoodoo == Jabo's. They're just about the same in speed.

OP
fearpi

fearpi

you'd think that it would be about equal, but i can say quite objectively that glide64 + evoodoo > jabo by a considerable margin, at least on my system.

Azimer

Emulator Developer
Those who brag about their systems are lame... Those who brag about the systems they didn't pay for are worse. Every single computer I built came from money I worked minimum wage jobs for. That is much more impressive IMO.

Sorry for going off topic.

Last edited:

Jakob

evil *******
damn right

Azimer said:
Those who brag about their systems are lame... Those who brag about the systems they didn't pay for are worse. Every single computer I built game from money I worked minimum wage jobs for. That is much more impressive IMO.

Sorry for going off topic.
Buying the parts and putting it together is the real marker to brag about:) But then again, it's rather sad to rate oneself by their computer anyways, no?

Doomulation

fearpi said:
you'd think that it would be about equal, but i can say quite objectively that glide64 + evoodoo > jabo by a considerable margin, at least on my system.
On my system, they're about equal or that glide64 is faster.
Concidering what azimer said, I think I agree.