What's new

simple/non-destructive fix for ultrascan 17es monitor?

Vchat20

ok. long story short is ive got this dell ultrascan 17es monitor here that im trying to get working in a dual monitor setup. had to buy a new vga cable for it and dell has the pinout of the monitor buggered so standard vga cables dont work. heres proof: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_vidconv.html#VIDCONV_073

my question here is if anyone has any suggestions for a simple and/or non destructuve fix for this? the first thing that came to mind is to simply cut the cable down the middle and rewire it accordingly, but my brain already hurts trying to figure out what wire would go where.

OP
Vchat20

Vchat20

ok. ive stripped down the cable towards the middle. i stripped it down a good inch and a half. here are the wires im looking at:

3 large silver wires (which im assuming are the 3 main color signals and the appropriate returns shielding them), yellow, yellow w/black stripe, purple, purple w/ white stripe, brown, brown w/white stripe, black, black w/ white stripe, and orange.

Cyberman

have you looked for a conversion adapter at places like Altech?
They make tons of cables for just about anything :D

Cyb

OP
Vchat20

Vchat20

no i didnt look there, but considering the fact that only that one page I linked above mentions this "defect" and even the dell website and the specific online documents for this model monitor dont even mention anything about it kind of makes me think that theres really nothing available and I just so happened to be lucky enough to inherit this monitor AND loose the original cable. :rolleyes:

I did manage to get some tech specs on the cable from monoprice.com tech support (where I bought the cable from. highly recommend them) which feature what wire goes to what pin so it should be pretty easy to figure out HOW to rewire this thing. actually doing the rewiring is another story altogether.