What's new

simple networking?

dreamer

its just not working for me...two computers with windows XP, (i think they have network cards, how do i check?) 1 crossover cable, linked them up, got usb broadband going into one. it wont work..got the 'limited of no connectivity' error.

any suggestions?

Eagle

aka Alshain
dreamer said:
its just not working for me...two computers with windows XP, (i think they have network cards, how do i check?) 1 crossover cable, linked them up, got usb broadband going into one. it wont work..got the 'limited of no connectivity' error.

any suggestions?

You didn't mention a hub, do you have a hub? Does the modem have standard RJ45 output instead of USB? The best way to do this is use standard ethernet with a 5 port hub/switch/router. YOu can do it with USB but its more expensive and not very beneficial unless you don't have ethernet cards. Your network cards have RJ45 adapters which basically look like a bigger phone plug.

What you need (minimum/cheapest scenario)

1 - 4 port hub
3 - Category 5 (CAT5) cables with RJ45 plugs on both ends (these are standard ethernet cables)
2 - Ethernet (Network) Cards

OK so you plug in the modem as it should be but instead of going into the computer with the modem you take a CAT5 cable and connect the modem to the 5th port (yes 4 port modems have 5 ports) then you can connect the computers into any of the 4 ports.

Last edited:

Eagle

aka Alshain
If you don't have ethernet cards, you can use a USB hub instead. I've never used one of these so I'm not real sure how they work, but it should be similar.

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
dreamer said:

any suggestions?
Make sure that you're using a crossover cable. There is a very high possibility that they gave you a normal (hub to PC) cable instead of a crossover.
If you can plug the cable in both PCs they do have a network card or network support by their motherboard itself.
In case the network function is integrated in the motherboard you may have to enable it from the BIOS.
Last, make sure that you're using the latest network (ethernet) drivers for your network card/motherboard.