What's new

Shuttles

Eagle

aka Alshain
The biggest advantage with these is their size. The bigest disadvantage with these is their size. Confused yet? Well the thing is, the size makes them easy to fit into small locations, and easy to move should you need to move them. But the problem is they have 1 AGP slot and 1 PCI slot and the rest is built onto the motherboard. If you want a quality sound card or a capture card or a better ethernet card then you wont have enough room.

If you really want a small computer, get a laptop. Otherwise get a mini-ATX or ATX tower PC.

dcook32p

My XPC...

lac29 said:
Anyone have experience with Shuttles or Shuttle-like computers? http://www.us.shuttle.com/product_mini.asp ... what are the pros and cons of building on one of these? Are there major price differences btwn these and reg computers?

I have one of the earlier models - Shuttle XPC SB51G. I use it as a video capture (Tivo-like) computer attached to my cable setup. It fits very nicely inside my entertainment center and doesn't make much noise. It's even in a relatively tight enclosure running a 3.06 GHz Intel Pentium 4 processor without having heat issues!

These computers are really for offices where a "pretty" computer needs to be seen, special-purpose computers (like my Tivo-clone), and average Joe User who just needs a small computer for web browsing and e-mail.