What's new

Should I buy...A 3DFX Card?

jdsony

Anyone give me any insight on how well the 3DFX cards word with the Glide plugin? I have used the Glide plugin with the evoodoo wrapper and it does a good job but I wouldn't say it does it any better that Jabo's plugin. I'm sure I could pick up an old Voodoo 2 or Voodoo 3 PCI card for $10 give or take a few $ and wouldn't mind doing so if there are some benefit's for N64 emulation. What does everyone think?

jollyrancher

So you want to "upgrade" to a Voodoo 2? What kind of CPU do you have? The CPU is more important to N64 emulation so if you're computer is too slow (I'm thinking it must be to be upgrading to a Voodoo) then the graphics card doesn't even matter. If you do have a decent CPU and you want a dirt cheap graphics card you can get a Geforce2/3 or an older Radeon for under $50.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
jollyrancher said:
So you want to "upgrade" to a Voodoo 2? What kind of CPU do you have? The CPU is more important to N64 emulation so if you're computer is too slow (I'm thinking it must be to be upgrading to a Voodoo) then the graphics card doesn't even matter. If you do have a decent CPU and you want a dirt cheap graphics card you can get a Geforce2/3 or an older Radeon for under $50.

Um, he never said he wanted to upgrade.

Anyone give me any insight on how well the 3DFX cards word with the Glide plugin? I have used the Glide plugin with the evoodoo wrapper and it does a good job but I wouldn't say it does it any better that Jabo's plugin. I'm sure I could pick up an old Voodoo 2 or Voodoo 3 PCI card for $10 give or take a few $ and wouldn't mind doing so if there are some benefit's for N64 emulation. What does everyone think?

He wants a Voodoo if it'll let him run Glide64 with better quality, nothing more, nothing less.

I suggest one (or maybe 2, if you can spare an additional PCI slot) Voodoo2, so you won't have to juggle monitors to get a V3 to work along with your primary card.

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
I have a Voodoo2 here that I have used with Glide64 instead of Evoodoo. To tell the truth, the minor items that are fixed using a real Voodoo compared to the speed drop and low resolution I had to go to (800x600), It is not worth it, IMHO.

I assume V3 or better cards will not have the massive speed drop I witnessed?

But hey if you can get one cheap, go for it and try for yourself. Always the best medicine.

OP
jdsony

jdsony

Yeah i wasn't planning on upgrading to a Voodoo 2 or 3 but downgrade. Game speed is perfect for most of the games except the problematic ones. I have a Radeon 8500 and an Atlhon XP 2000+ I was just wondering if Image quality would be better in some ways with a Voodoo and if Voodoo is a long term viable option for N64 emulation. It just seems to me that Glide must still be supported for a reason not just because people are still using the old video cards.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Yes.

As a matter of fact, Glide seems rather well-suited to emulating N64's raster.

Voodoo2 SLI would supplement your rig quite nicely =)

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Hyper190 said:
if your going to get a voodoo get a voodoo 4 or 5

although every oneof them is good and cheap..!!

Well the nice thing about Voodoo2 SLI is that it'll always be useful somehow.

And getting a standalone PCI V3/4/5 to run Glide correctly on the secondary monitor is awkward - you have to like swap monitor cables and stuff.

fivefeet8

-= Clark Kent -X- =-
Tagrineth said:
Well the nice thing about Voodoo2 SLI is that it'll always be useful somehow.

And getting a standalone PCI V3/4/5 to run Glide correctly on the secondary monitor is awkward - you have to like swap monitor cables and stuff.

I don't swap monitor cables at all with my V5 5500 pci. I have it connected to a spare 15" monitor I have. And use my 18" LCD as my primary. Both work at the same time(span or clone). It's always nice to be able to play N64/PSx games with glide in one display, while doing something else on the other. Hehe. ;)

Legend

I'm sorry Tagrineth, are you saying I can slap a voodoo 2 sli into my rig and NOT have to worry about juggling cables or deal w/ another monitor. That somehow I can use Glide 64 with no troubles aside from the lower res. Because that would be awesome and interesting. Thanks.

OP
jdsony

jdsony

heheh...he's saying you can use 1 monitor with a voodoo 2 since the voodoo 2 is an addon board and requires a primary video card as well. I don't really want to swap cables so I would probably go the with voodoo 2 based card SLI or single if I can't get 2 cards at the same time. It should be fast enough for N64 emulation since it is mainly but not totally processor dependant. I shouldn't have given away my voodoo 2 a year and a half ago. I remember it having a somewhat blurrier output than other cards which would probably work well with N64 and the 2D sprites that tend to look a little ugly meshed with the high res 3d backgrounds.

The voodoo 2 I gave away I got for $20 used from a computer store so I will go back to them again and see what they got. It's not a big investment so no loss if I'm not all that happy with it. Maybe it will come in handy for Arcade emulation such as San Francisco Rush and Gauntlet Arcade games which used 3DFX cards. As of now there is Voodoo emulation being added to make San Francisco Rush work so it would be a nice speed boost if 3DFX cards get supported natively.

pandamoan

Banned
Legend said:
I'm sorry Tagrineth, are you saying I can slap a voodoo 2 sli into my rig and NOT have to worry about juggling cables or deal w/ another monitor. That somehow I can use Glide 64 with no troubles aside from the lower res. Because that would be awesome and interesting. Thanks.

yeah, i've got a voodoo 3 just sitting here, i could do that too if that's the case. can you use the glide hardware without switching cables and etc?

that'd be groovy!

jollyrancher

Yeah i wasn't planning on upgrading to a Voodoo 2 or 3 but downgrade. Game speed is perfect for most of the games except the problematic ones. I have a Radeon 8500 and an Atlhon XP 2000+ I was just wondering if Image quality would be better in some ways with a Voodoo and if Voodoo is a long term viable option for N64 emulation. It just seems to me that Glide must still be supported for a reason not just because people are still using the old video cards.

In N64 emulation the game speed is primarily dependent on the speed of your CPU and it's unlikely that downgrading to a Voodoo is going to improve speed or image quality.

Last edited:

Legend

heheh...he's saying you can use 1 monitor with a voodoo 2 since the voodoo 2 is an addon board and requires a primary video card as well. I don't really want to swap cables so I would probably go the with voodoo 2 based card SLI or single if I can't get 2 cards at the same time. It should be fast enough for N64 emulation since it is mainly but not totally processor dependant. I shouldn't have given away my voodoo 2 a year and a half ago. I remember it having a somewhat blurrier output than other cards which would probably work well with N64 and the 2D sprites that tend to look a little ugly meshed with the high res 3d backgrounds.

To Ebay I go then to get my voodoo 2 SLI. This will be alot better than using evoodoo for a long time to come (no offense McLeod :freak: ). Just in time hopefully for the new release. :santa: Damn Gonetz and his plugin rock.

Last edited:

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
Tagrineth said:
Voodoo2 should sustain 60fps in 800x600.

Voodoo2 SLI and Voodoo3 should sustain 60fps in 1024x768.

Interesting. I was slowing way down when using Glide64 on the system listed in my profile. Maybe I am not utilizing the proper driver that I should be? or Maybe this slow down I see is simply an issue with trying to use the V2 under Windows XP (I know the card was not meant to work in this OS supposedly)? Maybe the slowdown is simply due to all the new framebuffer features of Glide64?

Does anyone here have experience with V2 boards and Windows XP that could enlighten me on what drivers work best and which Glide64 settings are best for non SLI?

I'd be willing to give this a go again if I could get some direction on the matter.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
pandamoan said:
yeah, i've got a voodoo 3 just sitting here, i could do that too if that's the case. can you use the glide hardware without switching cables and etc?

that'd be groovy!

No... it won't work with Voodoo3.

Voodoo Graphics and Voodoo2 were designed as 'pass-through' cards. The primary video card's output would go into this beautiful, big, heavily shielded cable and into a dsub15 input on the Voodoo2. Your monitor would then be connected to the Voodoo2's video out.

During normal operation, the primary graphics would (due to FCC emissions regulations) be passed through a basic filter on the Voodoo2, meaning extra deluxe high resolutions (like over 1600x1200) will gain some extra blur, unfortunately... but otherwise things would be totally normal.

Any time a game requests the Voodoo2, the V2 will totally ignore input from your primary card and 'take over' the display, outputting its own 3D graphics (no 2D, except using in-game hacks like Diablo II's. Voodoo2 does not conform to VGA standard, and has no logic for running 2D graphics natively).

Voodoo3, on the other hand, is a fully integrated 2D/3D card, and as such doesn't use that pass-through. If you want to use a Voodoo3, you have two choices: Multimonitor, or multiple hardware configurations and swapping cables.

Mmm, it's been a long time since I last rambled about something 3dfx-related. :holiday:

Modem

ph33r teh hammy!
I'd definatly have to agree with Tagrineth. I have my old Diamond Monster 3d 2 card and it works great (I'm just not using it, because I just prefer direct3d), and just using the passthrough would be a lot easier than using upgraded cards (voodoo3, 4, 5) without them. If you don't mind the 800*600 resolution, the looks and colors of the games look, frankly, better, IMO, than regular cards. Just be aware that in WindowsXP, there's NO DIRECT3D SUPPORT FOR VOODOO2's. So don't expect to play it with Final Fantasy VII, VIII, or any other program that uses direct3d with your voodoo2. If you can spare the PCI slot(s) though, they're more than worth it.

Flash

Technomage
Modem said:
I'd definatly have to agree with Tagrineth. I have my old Diamond Monster 3d 2 card and it works great (I'm just not using it, because I just prefer direct3d), and just using the passthrough would be a lot easier than using upgraded cards (voodoo3, 4, 5) without them. If you don't mind the 800*600 resolution, the looks and colors of the games look, frankly, better, IMO, than regular cards. Just be aware that in WindowsXP, there's NO DIRECT3D SUPPORT FOR VOODOO2's. So don't expect to play it with Final Fantasy VII, VIII, or any other program that uses direct3d with your voodoo2. If you can spare the PCI slot(s) though, they're more than worth it.

... and if you have 4 free PCI slots, about $350 and dual-input monitor or want to use a TV you can try to find this :
quantum3D-mercury-16x3dfxvoodoo2pci-96mb-3.jpg