What's new

Shen Mue 2 Problem..Please HELP

fordius

Power Gamer
I have the Echelon version of the great Shen Mue 2 and i cant make it work on Chankast...I already make it selfboot with Exoboot and i already try to run from my CD and it come the sega logo and goes back to the Bios.....I know this is a noob thing..its just that i want to play this game a lot so........I Need/Beg for HELP......:stupid:

Miretank

Lurking
Echelon versions of game causes crash on Chankast. It won't pass from the Echelon screen. If the game pass the Sega logo, it is a selfboot game. I'm not sure, but *I THINK* you can remove the intro using Hex editors. Try Google.
Chankast does not support disc change, so Utopia won't be helpful, of course.
Please read the manual. Everything is there.

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
Mind reading the FAQ MiretanK.O? It's stated there that the Utopia boot disk works on Chankast. It's also possible to change discs on games with more than one CD as long as you can do it on a real Dreamcast (using the exact same CDs).

Miretank

Lurking
Can I use the Utopia boot disc?

You should be able to use the Utopia boot disc, if there wouldn't be a compatibility bug preventing it from working. So for now, the answer is no, however future versions of Chankast might be able to use the Utopia boot disc.

At least this says no. But can Chankast change discs while running?

EDIT: My apologies for my noobish act. I tried change discs while running and it worked. The first time I tried to change discs, I used two different drives.
Does the Utopia disc work?

/me reading the manual

Last edited:

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
Your quote is taken from the Chankast manual. The manual wasn't updated for v0.25 (it's for v0.2). The FAQ however (here on EmuTalk) was updated in order to cover stuff that pops up after every release :)

Chankast can change disks while running but some ripped games (backups) do not support it. In that case you can't change disk while the game runs (either if the game runs on an emulator like Chankast or on a real Dreamcast).

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
It is possible... But the procedure is different for each game, takes time and needs hacking skills... Doesn't really worth it ;)

Miretank

Lurking
Yeh, thanks for the explanations. I'll try to use Utopia in all my old cough*scratched*cough cds. ;)
Sorry again :)

/me feels happy. living and learning

OP
fordius

fordius

Power Gamer
is there another way to remove the Echelon from my Shenmue 2??? more EASY like a program of some kind or something else?

Branz_mf

Is Echelon version diferent from the normal Shenmue 2 version because i never had a problem with shenmue 2?
What's the diference between Echelon and normal shenmue 2?

General Plot

Britchie Crazy
Branz_mf said:
Is Echelon version diferent from the normal Shenmue 2 version because i never had a problem with shenmue 2?
What's the diference between Echelon and normal shenmue 2?
Echelon rips by the group echelon usually have little intro screens they add to the game, and this tends to cause Chankast to freeze/crash. Standard rips (non echelon are more likely to work).

life_247

Hmm utopia boot disc never worked for me. Oh well.

Shenmue 1 and 2 works, just need to get a direct iso copy. Rather than a ripped version.

Also its Shenmue not Shen Mue (Sorry that just bugs me). Best game on dreamcast imo.