What's new

Server currently down, stay tuned

Martin

Administrator
Category: <b>Site</b><br><br>One of our servers are currently down due to a DOS attack. Some of the sites affected are www.juventuz.com, www.pj64.net, www.apollo64.com, www.dolphin-emu.com, www.slipknotcpd.com, visitors from those sites are currently directed here.

Though the attacks were blocked by our server, too much stress was made on the routers and the server company had to take the server offline. We're currently working on getting the server up as quickly as possible, but the server company is very slow and not very cooperative, which is the reason it's taking so long.

Please bare with us, we're doing everything we can. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Regards,

Martin

Runik

Saturnin forever !
I'm sure you'll do for the best :)
And it could be worse : imagine a WINDOWS attack instead of a DOS one ... devastating :D

Sanojei.Sanna

Seksikäs Poika
Alastair said:
lol. nice one.

that sucks though :( I was gonna donate.

This should not prevent you from donations. If it were about NOT continuing PJ64 developement, that would be one thing to consider. However this isn't that case. Some punks decided to DOS attack the server because they obviously had nothing better to do with their time.

// Sanojei

OP
Martin

Martin

Administrator
Just received this notice from the server company:

Dear customer,

Changing the IP of the server is not possible, because the IP-management is running fully automatic and as long as your contract is not cancelled, there is no way for changing this.

Since this was an _incoming_ attack, there is no possibility to avoid this by reconfiguring or reinstalling your server. The only way to stop it, is globally blacklisting your IP on all routers of all carriers in whole germany. That's exactly what we did.

Of course, we are watching the incoming traffic for this IP and if the DoS is stopped, we can most probably free it again - but at this moment I don't have any update on that topic, which means, the DoS is still running.

I will check this again tomorrow morning and tell you about the results.

Best regards,
Guido Nickels

Incredible. It took them exactly 7 days to respond to my support ticket and they seem to have completely ignored what I asked them to do.

Garstyciuks

The only way to stop it, is globally blacklisting your IP on all routers of all carriers in whole germany. That's exactly what we did.
Kind of funny statement. Which IP did they blacklist? Martins IP, servers IP or the attackers IP? The first ones would be quite funny to blacklist. I don't understand, can't they just block the attacker from connecting to the server?

nominal

Dos Attack

How did the server get vunerable in the first place for the Dos attack to even work? Whats a dos attack?:homestar:

Dysprosium

Graphics Designer
nominal said:
How did the server get vunerable in the first place for the Dos attack to even work? Whats a dos attack?:homestar:
A user sends packets to the server, and since the number of packets is so large, the server slows to a crawl while it sorts through all of them. In this case, it created a lot of unnecessairy strain on the routers.

Garstyciuks said:
Kind of funny statement. Which IP did they blacklist? Martins IP, servers IP or the attackers IP? The first ones would be quite funny to blacklist. I don't understand, can't they just block the attacker from connecting to the server?
The attacker (As far as I'm aware.) uses proxies, so they'd have to blacklist a lot of them. What DoS attacker these days wouldn't use a proxy? They'd just have somebody contact their ISP. ;P

mr.2006

Martin I think they Held you responsible for the attacks because of it being your server, if they ignored your asking of them, I don't know what that would be of course but anyhow, just thought you should know that.

Also, they wouldn't ban his ip, they would ban the servers, how would they know who the attacker was? If they knew they would have put the server back up and blocked his ip, think about how many ip addresses are on the web and how do you expect them to know who is who, then again if one ip is seen in a mass attack I could understand that much then that makes your server owners look guilty, I don't mean martin but the people martin gets his server from, if they knew that is then they would look guilty indeed. I don't think they feel you are important martin or they would get back to you in time.

If anything, you might want to look into other servers early unless you have contract problems, because when they say it may not be any time soon, they usually mean your server may never be setup again, although if the Denial of Service attack happends to stop as they say, it should be noticed as they will turn the server back on, that would be a ways down the road, they got someone back in 2003 for DoS attacks on ebay, now he is in jail, also it isn't funny to say a windows attack, DoS is not Dos right? DoS attack is Denial of Service, they used it on the "Main Master Servers of Epics game Unreal Tournament version 436" whoever did the DoS attacks a while ago sent the massive attack through the main servers of the game and then the main servers that are used to ping and keep all other ut servers active also they make the list of ut servers show up, the main servers sent the attack like a web through all other servers, the attack after it reaches one of the server then sends the packets to all clients on the server meaning anyone that joins that game server will get super lag. I noticed the lag for a long time, then it came to a stop, not all of it but there are others that try to attack the UT servers.

Sorry for so much typing, I can't seem to help it.

Last edited:

mr.2006

Oops I ment I think they held you responsible for the DoS attacks. I don't know why blacklist. :/

Last edited:

mr.2006

Arg! I edited my first post on these forums and saved it but then when I checked it wasn't correct it was the same as the way I posted it, but then I made a second post, messed up and typed someting twice in the sentence lol and edited that and it worked, and then I looked and the first post had made changes but way late whats going on oh man I feel like a fool and embarassed at the same time!

nevinsb

Vile324 said:
The attacker (As far as I'm aware.) uses proxies, so they'd have to blacklist a lot of them. What DoS attacker these days wouldn't use a proxy? They'd just have somebody contact their ISP. ;P
Actually, most of them don't even use their own computers/networks. They hijack other computers, especially in the case of DDoS attacks. Anyone remember MyDoom?

Denial of Service attacks include ANYTHING that disrupts the service you are providing. This can include anything from disrupting power, RFI, overflows, to cutting cables.

Anyways, thanks for using the term "Attacker" instead of "Hacker." That term is often a sore spot for some computer folk.

Hope you guys get the site back up soon. It's kinda annoying not to be able to play with the beta software because of some tard with nothing better to do with his(Her) time.

OP
Martin

Martin

Administrator
Things are looking a bit better, I've finally managed to get the support guys to get the server online, but there's lots of work to be done. :)

Martin said:
Things are looking a bit better, I've finally managed to get the support guys to get the server online, but there's lots of work to be done. :)

Great news! :)
Hope the sites will be back soon. :happy:

OP
Martin

Martin

Administrator
[d.o.u.g]: Yup should be up by today. :) But you need to change your nameservers to ns1.emulation64.com and ns2.emulation64.com

All hosted sites on Braveheart: Change your nameservers to ns1.emulation64.com and ns2.emulation64.com and your site should be online during the day. :)

The sites will temporarily be hosted on the main Emulation64.com server, then moved over to the new server I've ordered once it's been setup. It's a bit inconvenient but it works. :p

Martin said:
[d.o.u.g]: Yup should be up by today. :) But you need to change your nameservers to ns1.emulation64.com and ns2.emulation64.com

All hosted sites on Braveheart: Change your nameservers to ns1.emulation64.com and ns2.emulation64.com and your site should be online during the day. :)

The sites will temporarily be hosted on the main Emulation64.com server, then moved over to the new server I've ordered once it's been setup. It's a bit inconvenient but it works. :p

Alright, great! :happy: