What's new

Saves not working in Majora's Mask

MementoMori34

So for the past few weeks I've been playing Majora's Mask with no problems. I've been saving using save states so that I don't have to go to an own statue everytime I want to quit.

Thing is, now my save state isn't loading. Whenever I try to load it, it tells me in the bottom bar "Unable to load save state sea.zip.zip." I have no clue what's happened or why. I'm thinking "Okay, not a huge deal, I did play the Song of Time (saves the game natively) before I made the state. I'll just start up the game and load my save like normal."

Well no. For some reason my file when loading the game is a save from before the Woodfall temple. I don't even know what's happened, but my most recent save state now is just after the Snowhead temple. When it all went to hell, I had gotten the gilded sword, the Giant's Wallet, 4 bottles, all masks available, got all the Zora eggs, and was about to start the Great Bay Temple. I basically did everything that I possibly could do in terms of side-quests (excluding heart pieces) before starting the temple and now it's all gone. That's when I played the Song of Time, saved, and quit. Now when I get on it won't load it.

Another thing is when I try to open the .zip so that I can just take the save out and see if it'll work, it won't let me open. It tells me that access is denied. I've given myself permissions on the file but still no luck. Tried to moving it to my desktop, and nothing. I tried using Stellar Phoenix Zip Recovery to extract the file but of course you have to pay for it. It recognized the save file inside the zip but I couldn't get it out without paying for the program. I then tried a LOT of things that ended up giving me two trojans.

I'm having a terrible time with this and I REALLY don't want to have to do all of that over again. I'm including the .ZIP save state in question and the native save incase you guys can take a look at it and see if it can be salvaged. It's not letting me upload via attachments, so here they are on mediafire. And if anyone has an explanation as to why both my save state and native save stopped working, then let me know. Thanks.

http://www.mediafire.com/?2tlnx59f00h3tvo
http://www.mediafire.com/?918neadden2b5mz

Toasty

Sony battery
Save states are inherently buggy and shouldn't be depended on for reasons such as these. Sorry.

majinvegeta2

Have you tried the "Repair" function of WinRar?
You can open the resulting .zip without any errors. No clue if it will work again, though.