What's new

Satourne Ver 1.1P

Cyberman

I set up the software (IE pad sound CD plugins etc) enable all VDP1 and VDP2 options set the bios. Then I close Saturne and restart (without a valid CD) however Saturne seems to freeze in the Splash screen saying Initializing. I would think it would complain about a bad CD or something instead of just HANG.

The OpenGL display screen does open .. but it's not the 640x480 setting I made for it. Ideas question go for it. Being that I'm slightly puzzled (I've tried it 10 times like this I'm too patient maybe before asking a question).

Cyb

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
I think that I remember Satourne having this problem on windows 9x.
One (or more) of the plugins cannot be re-initialized.

You can get Satourne to work if you edit "satourne.ini" and delete the plugins paths before you run Satourne. Then you must run the emulator and select all the plugins again (you must not close the emulator after selecting plugins).
Of course you must edit the file each time you want to run the emulator and that's at least annoying...

OP
Cyberman

Cyberman

PsyMan said:
I think that I remember Satourne having this problem on windows 9x.
One (or more) of the plugins cannot be re-initialized.

You can get Satourne to work if you edit "satourne.ini" and delete the plugins paths before you run Satourne. Then you must run the emulator and select all the plugins again (you must not close the emulator after selecting plugins).
Of course you must edit the file each time you want to run the emulator and that's at least annoying...
:blink:
So it's an OS issue... hmmm. I would rather he use the registry to store the settings than an INI. Ok.. odd problem I guess :)

Can the plugins etc. be set on the CLI? Sigh. :D

Thanks Psyman.

So now I'll see if I can get it to work.

Last edited:
OP
Cyberman

Cyberman

I hate to double post

I set everything up .. then

I clicked on Plugins->CD->Configure.
Then clicked in Insert CD.
It then displays in the status bar AZEL PANZER DRAGOON ... then promptly freezes LOL.
Such fun!

Cyb - is it incompatible with win98SE?

Last edited:

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
That's a plugin issue I guess... Try the other CD-ROM plugin. I remember seeing another (modified) CD-ROM plugin over at the Consollection forums, give that a try too :)

PS: It would be better to use the debugger SH2 plugin when you have difficulties running a game.

Runik

Saturnin forever !
PsyMan said:
That's a plugin issue I guess... Try the other CD-ROM plugin. I remember seeing another (modified) CD-ROM plugin over at the Consollection forums, give that a try too :).
I made this one :p
The plug-in can be found in this thread ;)

Gent

The Soul Reaving Gentleman
Administrator
Hrm i get this everything loaded and configed. Here after is the bios Render screen that also isnt a prob.
What is not matter what game ive tried it just crashes.

Gent

The Soul Reaving Gentleman
Administrator
Ok after quite a bit of faffing about and plaenty of bugs along the way, with Psy's help its now working though not superb.

OP
Cyberman

Cyberman

All right I'm running win2K I have the proper dlls loaded save one problem.
I can't configure the CD-ROM plugin. It doesn't think I have and CD drives (although I have 3). Suggestions? :D

Cyb

PS:
This is as far as it goes
And beneath that is the list of Drives (or lack thereof)
I've loaded the 2 DLL's it pined for WNASPI.DLL and MSVCR70.DLL as well.

PPS:
Yes I wrote my own screen capture program because nothing worked the way I liked.
However it's definately not perfect sadly. Maybe I'll come up with a better way to work it some other time.
:huh:

Last edited:

Borisz

Satourne doesn't even start without ASPI. Or it will start but give rounds of cdblock errors. I don't remember.

OP
Cyberman

Cyberman

Ok it still doesn't boot however, it does work somewhat. I got the 'Unknown Opcode' error and it yoinked on 0x0000 <-- the opcode, when I attempted to start up a disk image. So it's better, I had to play with the bios and remove the 1/4mbit cartridge thing as well (mutter). Should I reset the RTC and see if it works from that?

The reason it didn't see any disks in not because of the ASPI layer it's because one needs administrator rights to burn CD/DVDs and all my disc drives are writers (LOL). So it ends up that I had to use Nero Burnrights and add my user account to the user group Nero which fixes the problem in summary. I can access ALL my CD/DVD disc including the virtual one now. Adding the ASPI layer probably helped however. I can also burn discs too now :D

By the way you should never run as Administrator unless you are setting up something. It's just not safe. It took MS how long to figure that out? 10 years was it? LOL.

Cyb

Last edited:

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
I see... Try different games to see if you can run any of them. :)

Edit: Your reference to WNASPI.DLL made me think that the ASPI driver was not installed correctly (should be WNASPI32.DLL). >_<

Last edited:
OP
Cyberman

Cyberman

I tested with Panzer Dragoon Azel and Radiant Silvergun. I think.
They both set the screen aspect ratio to 352x224 and loc up :)
So I am going to test something else. A simple game might be good.

I believe part of the problem is system rights, it's a bit of a problem to allow an application to access the CDROM at the IOCTL level if they aren't admin. This is a sticky problem in Win2k and above.

I assume you all run yourself at Admin level and run amock on your system?

(I hope you can detect I'm being a bit silly about that but it would be good to know if that is how you have it working under win2K).

Cyb

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
At least Radiant Silvergun should work :\
As you already said this is probably because you're not logged on as Admin but there also another possibility... Unfortunately there's only one way to verify this (try to run it as Admin).

PS: Does your mainboard have an nForce chipset?

Borisz

Satourne starts up properly in user mode here. That's probably not the cause.

By the way you should never run as Administrator unless you are setting up something. It's just not safe.
It is.
just install a firewall ;)

OP
Cyberman

Cyberman

All righty

Ok I've tested things on my computer here is what I discovered thus far
1) I cannot run ePSXe without using an ISO. Weather I'm using Daemon ISO mount OR I'm using the CD doesn't matter it refuses to boot.
2) ISO's will work if the CD plugin supports them.

So there is something going wrong at the low level to load data from the disk bottom line.

Cyb