What's new

SATA hard disk error

dreamer

im in trouble here, after getting a new comp i have somehow messed things up, in order i:

- tried to overclock a little and computer wouldnt boot (couldnt even get to bios)

- took apart the comp and reset bios. it then at least loaded.

- gets error 'DISK BOOT FAILURE - INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER'

after this it wont work. seems to not recognise my SATA hard disk, anyone have a clue? maybe im missing something in the bios options, im pretty positve all the wires are in place, none were moved.

IceWarm

When you opened the case did you mess with anything? Like did you unplug stuff? And if you did unplug stuff you may have plugged it back into the wrong slot. You may want to open the case again and make sure all the components are hooked up to where they need to be.

liteuser

I'll be Back!
Hi,
If you have a spare HD try that one. 'DISK BOOT FAILURE - INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER' only time I have seen that is with a unformated hardrive , you may have lost the partition information. Other then that Im not sure what it could be. If I had that problem , I would reformat off a floppy with the HD software. If your running XP try your install cd the restore feature . Are other drives detected your cd-rom drive ,floppy. Just trying to help, best of luck.

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
I don't have SATA myself, but several friends reported issues with certain motherboards and SATA configurations not being able to boot for some reason. Again I do not know all the details as I don't have that setup.

I would try adding a standard IDE if you have one as recommended above. Set the IDE to be the boot drive, the SATA drive as a slave (or second drive however that is configured when using SATA and IDE at the same time) and see if your SATA drive's partition is still in tact.

Not sure what to do if it is OK or not, but it will give you something to start from. Maybe the drives MBR has become corrupt or you have the drive defined in your BIOS different from how it was originally fdisk'd and formatted?

aprentice

that error is also present if the hard drive is not detected. did you build this computer yourself and did you make sure sata is enabled in bios?

Knuckles

Since it doesn't even detect it in the bios, maybe when you tried to reset the bios, you unpluged the power cable of the HD or the Sata cable from the mobo or the HD itself, Check the if all connections are fine (power/sata cable). And also, as Aprentice said, it you don't see the "sata bios" screen on boot, you might have disabled it from the bios (due to reset) or on the mobo, while trying to find the good jumper, you might have changed the one that enables/disables the sata.

Last edited:
OP
D

dreamer

thanks for help everyone, havent got it working yet. my comp is a shuttle, very compact, i know a logical explanation is that i unplugged some hd wires, but i checked them all and everything should be in place, after following the instructions i noticed the jumper was right on the edge, i carefully moved this to reset the bios. i am 100% that i did not move any other wires. the guy selling the computer (who set it up for me, he deals with computers and is a family friend) set it up for me, and installed windows XP, and pretty much everything else, so i have an email sent to him if i cant work it out myself. i think its a bios problem rather than a loose wire. but no hard drives (i only have one 120 gb sata drive) show up in the bios at all, its obviously that the bios default settings wont show up these hard disks. besides looking further in the bios, i doubt theres much else i can do. anyway thanks for the input, its pretty annoying, i should never have messed with it so soon after getting it.

Last edited:

IceWarm

A lesson learned I guess. "If it ain't broke...don't #$%^ with it." :) I hope you get it all sorted out and working again dreamer, best of luck.

OP
D

dreamer

IceWarm said:
A lesson learned I guess. "If it ain't broke...don't #$%^ with it." :) I hope you get it all sorted out and working again dreamer, best of luck.

lol! i know that now :plain: thanks for the...optimism, im sure it will be fine...*prays*

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
There must be an option in the bios configuration that lets you enable or disable the SATA controller. Make sure that you have the controller enabled.

OP
D

dreamer

^^;

i finally got it sorted (on my own i might add :D) ^^; ehem anyway. i found some sheets on 'sata drive installation' in the box the comp came in...just like me not to check for those earlier, after reinstalling some sata drive silicon image raid rom (or something) it rebooted. so i am on it now *has now learnt not to ever touch bios again* anyway thanks for the input, was quite a serious issue, but now sorted. :saint: