What's new

ROM Legality

Kazangwa

I am curious, and I think this is in compliance with the rules, if having ROMs is illegal (which, to my knowledge, it is) regardless of if you own it, and even if you back it up yourself or something to the same effect, is it implied that the majority of the people here are breaking the law? Is this law not very strictly enforced? If this isn't within compliance of the rules, I will honestly take a ban if it is justly deserved to me, but like I believe I stated above, I am curious.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
is it implied that the majority of the people here are breaking the law? Is this law not very strictly enforced?
For the most part, yes, on both counts.

Having said that, outfits like the BSA enforce this "law", and have shut down various sites in the past that hosted ROMs and other such material. How often they do crackdowns is anyone's guess.

Toasty

Sony battery
...even if you back it up yourself or something to the same effect...
Technically this can still be argued as acceptable, even in the US, if the material is not encrypted. In instances like PSX emulation, it's also possible to play the original media on an emulator with no need to rip it, which seems safer still. It all depends on your country's copyright laws though.

But yes, I'd imagine most visitors to emulator sites have infringed on copyright. They can join the ranks of other sue-able people, along with those who hand out hot coffee without a detailed burn warning.

OP
Kazangwa

Kazangwa

A please would be nice. I think I skimmed it enough to get the gist of it. I still think that regardless if you could have ripped the ROM yourself, having possession of a copy that you didn't rip is illegal. It reminds me of music ripping. I think that owning a CD and downloading a copy of it could be questioned, because the compression methods, file format, etc. could be different than a copy you might have ripped. Could anyone know the difference? I would think not, but who knows? I think you might be wise to make yourself seem so sure of yourself, I think there is a chance that you could be wrong about some things you said, especially since you cited an internet resource, something I don't think is always credible.

To Mr. squall_leonhart, I think you ought to contemplate what you say. If I ask a question, the likely expectation is that you give me an answer, not some passive aggressive, condescending, elitist drivel. That is, under the circumstance that you do mean 'I don't care' when you say '/Care.' If you don't, then you can consider what I have said above practically meaningless, although I still think 'I don't care' is what it seems you are trying to say. To be perfectly frank, I think it almost reminds me of a person on here I remember to be named 'Driscol' or something similar, and, no offense to the fellow, but I think he is just a kid who doesn't think about what he says. I would think with the notoriety and knowledge you seem to have from my previous encounters with you, you are above what I consider to be, nonsense like this.

X-Fi6

A please would be nice. I think I skimmed it enough to get the gist of it. I still think that regardless if you could have ripped the ROM yourself, having possession of a copy that you didn't rip is illegal. It reminds me of music ripping. I think that owning a CD and downloading a copy of it could be questioned, because the compression methods, file format, etc. could be different than a copy you might have ripped. Could anyone know the difference? I would think not, but who knows? I think you might be wise to make yourself seem so sure of yourself, I think there is a chance that you could be wrong about some things you said, especially since you cited an internet resource, something I don't think is always credible.

To Mr. squall_leonhart, I think you ought to contemplate what you say. If I ask a question, the likely expectation is that you give me an answer, not some passive aggressive, condescending, elitist drivel. That is, under the circumstance that you do mean 'I don't care' when you say '/Care.' If you don't, then you can consider what I have said above practically meaningless, although I still think 'I don't care' is what it seems you are trying to say. To be perfectly frank, I think it almost reminds me of a person on here I remember to be named 'Driscol' or something similar, and, no offense to the fellow, but I think he is just a kid who doesn't think about what he says. I would think with the notoriety and knowledge you seem to have from my previous encounters with you, you are above what I consider to be, nonsense like this.
1 and 2 explained it. Everything below that was just examples.