What's new

Ripping DS models

nmn

Mupen64Plus Dev.
Okay, i know dualis can use OpenGL... But for ATI users, it probably won't work... That was my point that i've been trying to make. And sure they can use different emulators, but what if the other emulators don't work for a certain game? or whatever. I'm just trying to say 3DX would be useful in some cases rare or not.

BTW,
http://glintercept.nutty.org/
that helps for certain things.

Cyberman

Moderator note, it is not illegal to extra data for your own use.
That's as far as you can legally do things period. You cannot distribute any copyrighted data that is part of a copyrighted work. Your license only gives you the right to read the data, not to distribute it. This means that although it's legal to extract data you cannot create texture packs or models to be used by someone else. That is to be blunt ILLEGAL.

Just so users don't get the wrong idea.

Have fun erstwhile.

Cyb

Cyberman

It IS legal to USE the data on YOUR machine if you have the game but illegal to put a texture pack together from that data and send it across the internet.

Stephen

synch

Okay, i know dualis can use OpenGL... But for ATI users, it probably won't work... That was my point that i've been trying to make. And sure they can use different emulators, but what if the other emulators don't work for a certain game? or whatever. I'm just trying to say 3DX would be useful in some cases rare or not.

BTW,
http://glintercept.nutty.org/
that helps for certain things.

Why shouldn't ATI work with openGL? Please, try to make sense on your posts, as ATI's openGL implementation has been quite bullet proof for years, we're not living in 2000 anymore...

nmn

Mupen64Plus Dev.
Uhh.. Yeah right. I program in OpenGL fluently everyday. I know EXACTLY what ATIs implementation is like.

Actually, I have a friend making an OpenGL game, and it will run on Mesa (when the extensions are not used) and NVidia cards but not ATI ones. Why? Its not the shaders... So... what is it?

synch

I work as a graphic programmer too, so I too know about ATI's openGL implementation. I've programming graphics for almost 10 years, 6 with accelerators. ATI glsl is more comformant to the standard, for example. Most of the "bugs" with ATI are due to nvidia's implementation being a bit too relaxed. Of course ATI's drivers have bugs, but it's not 2000 anymore, ATI's drivers are good right now.

Probably it's game isn't working on ATI because either he is using propiertary extensions, or because he doesn't know what he's doing. And by the way, you don't "program" openGL, it's an API, you use it.

Last edited:

nmn

Mupen64Plus Dev.
Okay, lets not fight over this.

- He's only been using EXTs so no.
- I'm aware that NVidia's implementation is relaxed, but the defacto standard is over powering the standard by a lot right now - is it worth all of the problems it causes to not relax the requirements a bit?
- I haven't been programming as long as you, but OpenGL and drivers for it have changed rapidly between the recent and older versions.

Forget it... Its not important to make a big deal over. But I really wouldn't be too surprised if the program didn't run properly on ATI cards :( Regardless of whose fault it is for the fact that OpenGL programs don't generally work everywhere, Its sad to me, Because I use Linux...

I hope the drivers for OpenGL 3.0 are a bit closer together :|

edit: oh, yeah, I guess you don't program OpenGL. I don't usually get to specific about things like that though.

synch

Agreed, let's not fight over this. Relaxing drivers is usually not a good idea, letting the driver handle stuff it's not supposed, only gives us situations where one "theoretically working" code isn't working on ATI or nvidia. I had some problems with ATI in the past due to this, and it's a PITA, as I usually work on nvidia hardware.

Anyway, about your friends game, what's the exact problem? (even if it's a bit offtopic, I know)

nmn

Mupen64Plus Dev.
Relaxing the drivers is not generally a good idea, but there are a few things I don't think should be so strict... It would be nice if there were a program to detect misuse of the API. (Maybe i can get gDEBugger if i can ever get the trial version to run)

He doesn't usually debug with programs (I'm pretty sure traceback would help here), so we never knew. Its not an issue, ATM, because its not public or anything, Although for me and another person who tests I'm trying to help get it run on Linux (It already runs good on wine, at least after updating it again.) which is likely to arise more ATI issues for the time being. (Because the Linux drivers aren't gonna get as much testing, and, as far as i know, don't yet have the full extension set at least compared to the Windows ATI drivers.)

nmn

Mupen64Plus Dev.
I generally know of 3 rippers for graphics:
- GLintercept (OpenGL, can rip on its own but not conveniently.)
- OGLE (OpenGL, lives as a GLintercept plug in)
- 3dx ripper (DirectX 9, obviously not very useful here)

For anything else it would probably be DS specific. I heard someone say DSlazy which i heard can get the raw uncompressed data... If the hardware only supported a limited set of polygon formats and the games generally don't convert the format in memory, then it would probably be helpful to figure those formats out. Getting textures however, would still probably be a neucance.