What's new

Rice's HiRez Texturing plugin <Developement> (DO NOT POST HERE)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
mudlord

mudlord

Banned
A note on FSAA in the development plugin:
The source of this "bug" (can be a bug to some people), is due to hardware limitations of current PC video cards in DX9.

One of the methods used in Direct3D9, known as render targets, is a method to speed up and perform hardware accelerated render-to-texture operations. It is used currently in Direct64, as a means to perform hardware framebuffer emulation, as a practical example. Another possible use is the use of a render target to store a texture, for temporary use later. The development branch of my builds, uses render targets.

One of the weaknesses of this particular Direct3D method, is that full screen antialiasing will not work. This is, unfortunately, inherant by design of the method by MS engineers, and so this particular issue is unfixable, due to API limitations of how DX9 render targets can be used.

OP
mudlord

mudlord

Banned
A small update on current progress (for the people that want to know):

At the moment, I'm currently doing some very heavy updating on texture dumping/loading. Since thats one of the main goals of this plugin, it would be nice to see its current implementation improved a bit. Which is what I'm hoping to happen (and have started to massively overhaul). However, atm, its quite experimental as it can be a bit buggy...I intend tho to do a pub release of it when I'm happy with its stability and above all, it works right.

Also, I'm doing some more tweaks overall to the plugin, such as PNG screenshots, finally adding some degree of logging to the plugin (for bugs and things, and for tracing probs in tex loading and dumping, like klasa helpfully pointed out), and some more GUI work (since I know that there is still quite a few disrepancies...) . In addition (big thanks to Rice for his help over the past few days), I hope to completely fix up stability in general.

So thats basically that for the moment. I admit personally I've been a bit slack with actual time put into it atm (mainly due to some other real life projects, which have a much higher priority than this), but I think real life comes first before hobby things like this (the last thing I want to see is this turn into something I dread doing).

OP
mudlord

mudlord

Banned
New builds, go and get 'em ^_^

The next releases might be for a while tho......

EDIT: Must have been on something bad when adding XP manifests to regkeynuker.exe....uploaded is the real deal, saved myself 1.5KB without XP skinning support.....

Note: that file has PE tags, and I know the MD5, so don't anyone dare to plaigarise this....

Last edited:
OP
mudlord

mudlord

Banned
Alrighty, for me, the installer seems pretty rock solid.

It uses the Nullsoft Install System, but it has been heavily scripted to allow for custom messages, and custom banner images. Actual NSI file size is around 4KB, and EXE overhead is only up to 34KB :).

Not bad hey?

Also, the installer uses LZMA compression in solid mode, which helps for compressing the DLLs which are similar in structure. Since I've been hearing no reports of people complaining about download size, I might do the installer as a AIO, same with a seperate 7z for the advanced users......

OP
mudlord

mudlord

Banned
Due to a server harddrive problem, the SVN server is down.
Hence, I uploaded the sources in the 1st page of here. There's my update 9 sources, as well as the source to my installer.

Enjoy!

OP
mudlord

mudlord

Banned
Updated packages.
Uses new installer system

Enjoy the newly compiled installer everyone =^.^=

OP
mudlord

mudlord

Banned
Just a teensy update. Dev. time for me has slowed down a bit (mid-year exam period), so the next 3-4 weeks might be a bit sluggish. Hopefully next uni semester, things on this will pick up.

As for the new tings, well, I got to complete the rewrite of the config system and see how that goes...

EDIT: Grammar

OP
mudlord

mudlord

Banned
Another update.

Installer has been updated a little.

- Removed CRC check (now people can translate it)
- Updated so it ALWAYS overwrites files that are copied, in case you get a corrupted INI and need to reinstall
- Fixed up some text

Not much than that I'm afraid. Had a moderate setback involving a reformat, luckily I had my code backed up onto DVD at the time (but its not the newest code :(). Had a crash involving SPTD and newest Alcohol. So I had to format, due to reoccuring BSODs linked to the SPTD driver component, and revert to a older version until DS updates SPTD...

That said, enjoy this shot with PD having correct framebuffer emulation for cloaking....Don't have much time to do more work on this, exam season.

OP
mudlord

mudlord

Banned
Public VC6 build beta

Well,

after a lot of hacking and trial & error, I finally managed to get Rice Video to compile under the following compilers:

* Intel C/C++ Compiler 9.0
* Microsoft Visual C++ 6
* Microsoft Visual C++ 6 with the Processor Pack

These builds don't require extra dependances apart from DirectX/OGL (so that means missing C/C+ runtime issues are moot). I have attached the following test build.

Please note this is not a proper build of mine, just a test one, so it shouldn't be mirrored or advertised in any form.

Thankyou.

Last edited:
OP
mudlord

mudlord

Banned
I now updated my VC6 projects/makefiles (which is the source).

Any VC6 devs, feel free to use the code now. It should work okay.

OP
mudlord

mudlord

Banned
Updated, most changes are in the stable branch plugin.

If you want to try the plugin on Windows Vista, its best you use the stable branch plugin. Please note the support is preliminary and not complete. I couldnt't get out the new config system due to some remaining bugs, same goes for the shader support. These will most likely come with the next round of builds, which there is zero ETA on.

OP
mudlord

mudlord

Banned
Just a little update..

So far I am intending a small update in the next week or so. Mainly, this hopes to fix up all the little things before I add in the big things I want to do.

So far, I managed to make significant size minimizations, without using packers or using compiler optimizations, which can break things. This means now that the development plugin is now a much more lean 840KB, and the stable (recommended) one is now around 1.05MB. Also, users of MK64 will be happy to know I fixed the viewing/triangle issues with it, so that leaves the minor texture alignment problems and framebuffer emulation....I'm intending in the meantime to finally go over some minor things before doing some heavy work on it.

Ciao.

OP
mudlord

mudlord

Banned
Another day, another RC, more like a minor update to a RC.

Well, main thing is now I fixed the debugger plugin to now load hi-res textures properly and without glitching. See the following screenshots as photographic evidence.

Last edited:
OP
mudlord

mudlord

Banned
Just writing to give some bad news...

Due to my 160GB harddrive completely f*cking up and in need of replacement,. development has halted for at least two weeks until I can afford to buy a new one.

I apologise for the extreme inconveniance. Luckily, all my recent code is on the new SVN server, so thats one thing to be thankful for......:(

Status
Not open for further replies.