What's new

Rice's Daedalus plugin 4.1.0 beta 1

OP
Rice

Rice

Emulator Developer
Thanks for the feedback from Sayargh.

The texture randomness is the most serious problem, will be addressed in the next beta, I have already figured out the reason. The white texture is regarding with combiner, it is video card dependent. The black block under banjo is related to N64 frame buffer emulation, as I remebered, you can get rid of it if using different N64 frame buffer emulation type. (I fixed it long time ago, can not remember which option to use anymore.)

Regarding to the combiner problems, there are always some conflicts. Some video cards are better, others are not as good as high end ones. Of course I can use simpiler way to emulate complex N64 combiners, we will lose the quality for best video cards, but will make happy for most people with regular video cards. Most other video plugins are using quite simple combiner setting to emulate complex N64 combiners. You will feel not bad as you get some reasonable textures, even though they are not correct or not the best (of course you don't know what's the best and the correct effect.) - I am trying to confuse everyone.

Last edited:
OP
Rice

Rice

Emulator Developer
Re: Re: Re: Re: Rice's Daedalus plugin 4.1.0 beta 1

Doomulation said:
It's targeted for low processor speed i suppose, but done is done.
And you'll probably need it for the future as well.

Of course it is targeting low speed processor, and low speed processor usually never comes with high end video cards.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
hmm, so even a geforce 4 isn't good enough to display the sprites properly :p

I thought gf4 would be high end because gf2 is :)

OP
Rice

Rice

Emulator Developer
Sayargh said:
hmm, so even a geforce 4 isn't good enough to display the sprites properly :p

I thought gf4 would be high end because gf2 is :)

Of course gf4 should be better. Nvidia driver drives me mad. I can not understand why gf4 is doing differently from gf2, or it should be just better as there is nothing in gf2 which is not in gf4.

I just can not find a gf4 to test with.

Again, thanks for your feedback, and let me know when you got some problems.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
No problem;

Just to give you extra info i use the latest nvidia detonator drivers.

next time i'll post in the proper post, the feedback one that is, lol :)

Cyberman

why DX is a pain? ;)

Each revision is a new API, once you learn one API you have to learn another. Thank goodness GL doesn't change that much, although the extensions are equally convoluted (Nvidia and ATI are to blame for this).

What's the deal with inconsistant extensions? Ok I'll stop whining ;)

The GF4 is only different than the GF2 in a few things, the GF3 is actually a more advanced chipset than the GF4. The GF4 is a low end product as Anandtec decribed it "Why don't they call this a GF2.5?" I believe it's NVidia's idea for a GF2 replacement. They are probably no longer producing the GF2 and are selling out there stocks of the parts so that the GF4 will be the mainstay.

That's there strategy. :)

Cyb

noctrun

noctrunal internet surfing guy
Re: why DX is a pain? ;)

Cyberman said:
The GF4 is only different than the GF2 in a few things, the GF3 is actually a more advanced chipset than the GF4. The GF4 is a low end product as Anandtec decribed it "Why don't they call this a GF2.5?" I believe it's NVidia's idea for a GF2 replacement.

I totally agree but the gf2.5 are only the gf4 mx, the gf4 ti beats any gf3 and should be considered the only 'real' gf4

petronius79

I tried it only in WWF NoMercy and All Star Tennis 99. Has some display problems, so I'll stick to version 3 which is the most stable.

it seems the new plug-in isnt for my system

oh...I use DirectX9 but I guess even with v8.1 things would be the same.

but you really made a good effort

loleoc

Later, i will buy a new video card for my computer ( a geforce 4 mx) mainly for nintendo 64 emulation. But you say that gf2 is better than gf4?. What do i buy? a gf2 or a gf4? (I just have money for them). In Argentina (where i live) the gf2 and gf4 are the only cheap video cards.

OP
Rice

Rice

Emulator Developer
No one said gf2 is better than gf4. I will go the gf4 if I were you because it is newer and should be better.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
The Geforce 4MX is definatly better than a Geforce 2MX, for example, my geforce 4mx can render at about 31 Million triangles a second according to my box, where-as my geforce2MX can render about 21 million triangles (can't really remember the exact amount) anyway...

my geforce 4mx also has twice the memory and is capable of more stuff, for example: 4x AntiAliasing is impossible with my geforce 2mx.

Yep, i've got em both, a geforce 4mx is well worth it if you as me.

noctrun

noctrunal internet surfing guy
loleoc said:
Later, i will buy a new video card for my computer ( a geforce 4 mx) mainly for nintendo 64 emulation. But you say that gf2 is better than gf4?. What do i buy? a gf2 or a gf4? (I just have money for them). In Argentina (where i live) the gf2 and gf4 are the only cheap video cards.

I just said this: the gf3 and gf4ti are both way better than any gf4mx (thats why cyp said the gf4mx should be called gf2.5)

Last edited:

loleoc

Is there too many differences between a gf4mx agp and a geforce 4mx pci and also with gf2 mx agp and gf2 mx pci?. Or the speed in the games is the same with the agp or pci?. Because i have got a Voodoo 5 agp and i want to conserve it and to continue using it in my computer.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Pci has lower bandwidth than agp. It's just that i'd advice to use agp if you can, and if you can't, then use pci. And at the next upgrade (even if it's a thousand years from that point), go for agp.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Read the technical info about them. See their homepages if for that if the site you're looking at doesn't show it.

Cyberman

Please keep on topic.. (poor Rice). As for if the GF4 is faster and better than the GF2 yes it is? :)

the Ti series has incremental improvements in terms of geometry of the chips (die shrink) and speed let alone it has improved pipelines etc. The original GF4 was essentially an improved GF2 .. nothing as good as the GF3. The newer GF4's are better than the GF3's SEE the price to note the difference (seriously).

As for Rice's plugin I'm going bonkers over why it sometimes doesn't detect Nvidia's DRIVERS hehehe :) I think it's something to do with Win2K oh well.

Cyb