What's new

Removing the spyware from Project64 2.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MeagerToots

How do i manually remove the spyware Delta Toolbar installed by Project64 2.1?

Moshroum

Try Spybot Search and Destroy. But you should know that this is the only way Zilmar can make money. So please don't remove it

OP
M

MeagerToots

Well, i did it. Of course i removed it. My privacy has a high value for me. If you want the spyware install it on your PC. Installing a spyware in a so deceiving way isn't much polite and who does it doesn't deserve anything.

OP
F

Fanatic 64

The problem is that many people just click Next, I Agree, Next, Next, Next, Next, Finish when installing a program. Of course it's their fault for not paying attention to the setup options.

OP
M

MeagerToots

The "lollipop" (spyware) thing isn't deceiving, you just unckeck it and it's not installed.
The Delta Toolbar (spyware) thing is deceiving.
Now i understand what a user in another thread was trying to tell me talking about Avast. Now i know for sure that if you have an antivirus installed you cannot download or run easily the executable to install Project64 2.0. Antivirii mark such deceiving installers as malware, because indeed when they have a SPYWARE inside themselves and thus they are carrying a sort of a virus. I did the upload of the file to virustotal.com and indeed the file is more than suspicious and it's therefore normal if antivirii recommend to discard it...because this is the job of any antivirus and that's what an antivirus should do when it's able to detect a SPYWARE. For the record, to help dsx to understand, a spyware is what turns a goodware into a malware.
Anyway it's a my fault. I was wrongly believing that the software and the file were safe. I downloaded the package from the original author's website. I was implicitly trusting the author of this software, and this was the mistake i did. Today's lesson is: (whoever he is) never trust this Zilmar again, he's able to sell you (he's selling his users) for his personal profit. A sad way to ruin the image of such a working emulator.

OP
M

MeagerToots

You've made up your mind already, so it's useless to argue with you.
I am letting this go, but if you want to continue to argue i could easily submit the installer as a malware sample in a lot of places, and add directly pj64-emu.com to the list of bad website in a few black-lists, not to mention to submit it to Google's and stopbadware.org
They'll decide whenever the access to the website and the file should be made harder... in the case they think it's a malware because it carries two spywares; or whenever it's all ok as you believe.

OP
F

Fanatic 64

Google blocks phishing, not malicious downloads.

V1del

Just to check your baseless claims, I went ahead, redownloaded and reinstalled and there where obvious checkboxes to untick the toolbar installation, nothing anyone can't find out when using their brain for 5 seconds. And as far as trusting Zilmar goes, without his work for more than 10 years, the N64 emu scene would look rather bleak and now he wants to make some revenue from the installer, if you're that paranoid you could even go pull the source check every line of code and compile it yourself, there's nothing of any maliciousness in there. AV's are known to have false assumptions every now and then and from what I know about him, I'd rather put my trust into Zilmar than some random AV

Toasty

Sony battery
I always take the ~0.5 seconds required to opt out of such things so I haven't seen this toolbar, but is the claim that it's "spyware" even valid or is that an exaggeration? Most similar toolbars I've seen are just adware. And for the record, there is a very notable distinction between spyware and adware.

OP
M

MeagerToots

Not a bad link Fanatic64.
All the bunch of Zilmars crawlers unable to understand what is a spyware should try to read your webpage. i'll just cite something:
Delta Search attempts to appear as a legitimate search engine, but Delta Search is not legitimate and can be privacy invading
The Delta Search virus may also install additional adware or spyware to the infected computer system
Delta Search and third parties may collect sensitive information, or utilize unethical tactics to acquire sensitive data from their voluntarily and involuntary users. Sensitive information may include minuscule details such as browser activity and history, to extremely private data such as credit card numbers, stored passwords, and other identification information. This information is often used by cyber criminals in extortion schemes and phishing attempts.
i stop here - after a clear definition of SPYWARE. I had to quote the whole article, but it is too long to quote it all.

Funny thing is that all the supporters of the spyware bundled into the installer of Project64, say that they don't have it installed :D isn't this funny? If it's OK to bundle a spyware (a mine of money for the developer "their God") why have them discarded it!? misconception? No, just their lack of logic.
Funny how they support the embedding of the Delta Toolbar, when they don't even know if it's a legitimate application or an adware or a spyware or whatever.
Trusting this reputation less "Zilmar" guy... this is the peak of all jokes. Trusting somebody trying to install a spyware on your PC for his personal advantages. Smart!... a clear sign of the lack of logic and intelligence.
Most of you guys, should join a circus. You are perfect clowns.

Clements

What V1del said, that stuff you don't want is in the installer itself and not the actual emulator. It is easier to compile the program yourself or download a version compiled by someone you trust external to the PJ64 team/website (which are all over the internet, Google).

Zilmar has been working on pj64 for years, I don't know why you think he is "reputation less"
Also you are the one who let it install so I don't see why we have a lack of logic

V1del

Not a bad link Fanatic64.
All the bunch of Zilmars crawlers unable to understand what is a spyware should try to read your webpage. i'll just cite something:

i stop here - after a clear definition of SPYWARE. I had to quote the whole article, but it is too long to quote it all.

Let me take your sentences and switch the emphasis to some other words than the ones you outlined
Delta Search attempts to appear as a legitimate search engine, but Delta Search is not legitimate and can be privacy invading
The Delta Search virus may also install additional adware or spyware to the infected computer system
Delta Search and third parties may collect sensitive information, or utilize unethical tactics to acquire sensitive data from their voluntarily and involuntary users. Sensitive information may include minuscule details such as browser activity and history, to extremely private data such as credit card numbers, stored passwords, and other identification information. This information is often used by cyber criminals in extortion schemes and phishing attempts.

What now, is the Toolbar actually doing all of this or are they just assuming and talking out of their asses? The sentences are ambiguous and it could very well be that its all just made up bullshit. They simply block it because such toolbars are considered an annoyance by the general populus, is there actual proof that the toolbar does all this? Only way to find out is having it installed and monitoring what it does and actually get hit by an actual virus, but neither you nor me are going to test this, so as long as their isn't any real proof I'm going with not guilty.

Funny thing is that all the supporters of the spyware bundled into the installer of Project64, say that they don't have it installed :D isn't this funny? If it's OK to bundle a spyware (a mine of money for the developer "their God") why have them discarded it!? misconception? No, just their lack of logic.
Funny how they support the embedding of the Delta Toolbar, when they don't even know if it's a legitimate application or an adware or a spyware or whatever.

Where did you get that from? Apart from the first response, no one is endorsing nor supporting the embedding of the toolbar, we just explained why it is there and dismantled your false claims of the toolbar being installed "deceivingly". I don't even use PJ64 anymore for elongated periods of time due to me switching main OSes.

Trusting this reputation less "Zilmar" guy....

lol... As you should have guessed with the intelligence you apparantly possess which puts any of ours to shame, he is far from being reputationless in the areas which matter in this argument, which is N64 emulation.

As a matter of fact, if you really wanna go through with "not trusting this Zilmar guy" remove anything N64 emulation related from your computer/smartphone/whatever as pretty much everything has used/ is based on/ is relying on code of Zilmar at one point or another (exceptions from this may be, nemu, ultrahle, sixtyforce and others of the old projects, maybe even mess)

OP
M

MeagerToots

V1del: the Delta Toolbar does all the things reported there. Full stop.
It may be possible for a brainless guy like you not to get it.

If you look at other free and opensource projects, you'll find out that Project64 is a very small "raindrop" in a sea with many other software, much bigger and much more complex than Project64.
I will tell you of some examples: the gnu C compiler, the libreoffice suite, mozillas projects (for example the firefox browser), the apache web server, videolan, the linux kernel and its modules, and many others.
Those projects are much bigger than Project64. Very much bigger.
As a matter of a fact, they're developed by more than a single developer, also because other people are smarter than this "Zilmar" and the projects born opensource from the beginning and aren't centralized.
However, if you download the official release of any of said software, no one of them will ask you to install a spyware. No one! Not in a clear way, neither in a deceiving way. Because any sane person (so, you might be an exception here) knows that suggesting to install a spyware isn't a good thing. And yes, Project64 recommends to install the Delta Toolbar spyware (and the lollipop spyware) as they're set as the default recommended options. In the case of the deceiving Delta Toolbar the text is in a bold font, and if you change option the toolbar gets installed anyway... the (so-called) "radiobutton" is fake! Changing it alone won't change anything, an useless option is deceiving by definition ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam's_razor <- read and understand why you lack of logic) and should be removed.
Also, i wonder why "Zilmar" really recommends to install the Delta Toolbar. Is the Delta Toolbar useful for its users? recommends he the Delta Toolbar to help his users?! No - the answer is simple. His installer recommends to install the Delta Toolbar SPYWARE because he wants to exploit your software-installation to get money, for profit.
On the other hand, if you install the mingw or GCC compiler you get no spywares! If you install libreoffice you get no spywares! Because HONEST people don't even try to fraud, to exploit - HONEST people don't even mind to install a spyware in your PC.
If he wants to earn something out of his Project64 thing and if he's honest he must either: ask for donations or sell his software. The only thing not to do, is what he's doing.
Probably he knows that nobody is going to donate to him (such a dishonest guy). And not many people are either willing to buy something from a fraudster.

If (for some impossible-to-understand-reasons) Zilmar believes that the Delta Toolbar is useful for his users, he can create two installers. One clean installer for Project64. Another installer for the Delta Toolbar. This is logic, you download the installer of the software you need. Problem solved (but of course he won't do it eheh, this is why i call him a fraudster - he likes to deceive in order to get more installations of the spyware for his personal profit...this is the only reason why he keeps the Delta Toolbar in the (same) installer of Project64)

Toasty

Sony battery
Like V1del emphasized, those quotes sound kind of like a blanket description that they just slap on any piece of software that they don't know details about. The fact that the post referred to it as a "virus" further detracts from the accuracy and specificity of that information. (From the removal instructions outlined on that post, this toolbar is clearly not a virus. Computer viruses are actually relatively rare, and the term is almost always used out of either ignorance, a desire to sensationalize, or both.) Finally, and somewhat ironically, that very post serves as an advertisement for that site's (paid) software.

Like the others said, this is not part of PJ64; it's an optional part of the installer. I'm not asserting that Delta Toolbar is good or even harmless; I really don't know anything about it. I suspect neither of us does, which is why I view your emotional assertions that it is spyware with a bit of skepticism. Have you monitored it sending sensitive information to a third party, which is what actually defines spyware? If not, do you have an authoritative source that concretely says it does? Or is it just annoying you with ads and the resetting of your homepage and default search engine? (IE, adware behavior.) I'd understand completely if you were upset about the latter, but let's call things what they are.

There are plenty of other open source software projects that have additional (and potentially unwanted) software bundled in their installers. Some of them actually are deceptive and don't give you the choice to opt out, but that does not appear to be the case here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.